benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag

I like how the range indicator is described; by putting key landmarks on it, you know if you can always get home.
I wonder how tall the guy on the right is. Trying to get an idea of interior space.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I wonder how tall the guy on the right is. Trying to get an idea of interior space.
There's another interview with that guy on the right and he says he's 6' 6" or 6' 8", I can't remember which. Plenty of room inside for the average joe

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
modernmusclecars.de
Vehicles
2018 Camaro 2SS
Country flag
Well that's certainly disconcerting. I know it's just an early preproduction model and there's going to be bugs to be worked out. But if there's a lot of apparent ones already, there's probably a lot more unapparent ones. I'm not concerned about the software - that's easily updated. But physical design things like door latches and releases aren't so quickly perfected. Last thing we want is to spend $55k on a vehicle with nagging issues.
The problem with the door openers is imho just a software bug too. There was no mechanical problem with it, the car just didn't quite unterstand when to retract the opener correctly.

But the door tiny door handles worry me a bit. It really felt like a thing that idiots could break for fun on your car, just as people destroyed standalone car emblems or antennas on older cars.

micstriit

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Ioniq electric, Renault Twizy
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I assume that the euro charging is different then an American charging as the hookup on the car looked radically different. I know for a fact that on the American version your phone is your key.
yes the car has an Euro Type 2 CSS Combo plug like nearly all new EVs in Europe, even Tesla Model 3, see pic attached

Tesla-Model3-CCS-Port-768x384.jpg

Ericc B

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Mustang GT Fastback (a real Mustang)
Country flag
But the door tiny door handles worry me a bit. It really felt like a thing that idiots could break for fun on your car, just as people destroyed standalone car emblems or antennas on older cars.
I have the same impression. I also do not really understand why they added this "hook" to the front doors, but not to the rear doors, while the mechanism to open them (button plus bar down in the door that pushes it outward) is exactly the same. They could have simply left the hook off in the front as well since they designed the opening mechanism to not crush your fingers when opening the door anyway.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have the same impression. I also do not really understand why they added this "hook" to the front doors, but not to the rear doors, while the mechanism to open them (button plus bar down in the door that pushes it outward) is exactly the same. They could have simply left the hook off in the front as well since they designed the opening mechanism to not crush your fingers when opening the door anyway.
Might be a sort of fail safe if something goes wrong with the "push out" mechanism (or a door frame freezes up). If that fails, gonna be really hard to pry that door open without damaging the paint with a screwdriver or something.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
yes the car has an Euro Type 2 CSS Combo plug like nearly all new EVs in Europe, even Tesla Model 3, see pic attached

Tesla-Model3-CCS-Port-768x384.jpg
If I understand it correctly, this is the Mach-e plug in the US, right? (with the same DC fast-charge below it, just covered in this pic by the flap)

Ford Mustang Mach-E My hands-on impressions of the Mach-E 2021_ford_mustang_mach-e_19

Last edited:

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
There are two types of CCS receptacles. In the U.S. we have Type 1, in Europe they have Type 2. Type 2 has 7 pins in the upper half (used for AC, slow DC, and communications) of the connector, while Type 1 has only five pins up there. The two types aren't compatible (neither plug fits the opposite type of receptacle).

Here is a photo of type 1, type 2, and Tesla next to each other: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_62196

It's a little bit of a mess, still. A few cars, maybe just Nissan's?, are using the Japanese standard CHAdeMO. And Tesla has their own proprietary connector, of course... Except in Europe where it is type 2 due to regulation.

Tesla sells an adapter that lets Tesla cars charge from CHAdeMO DC fast chargers, and I think they supply an AC J1772 adapter with the car... But AFAIK, no adapter for Tesla to use CCS DC fast charging. So my guess is that their protocol for their proprietary connector is more similar to CHAdeMO and too different from CCS.

micstriit

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If I understand it correctly, this is the Mach-e plug in the US, right? (with the same DC fast-charge below it, just covered in this pic by the flap)
absolutely correct.

(used for AC, slow DC, and communications)
Only european Tesla Model X and S (not 3) are using Type 2 for DC charging and only at superchargers of course. For all other EV including Model 3, the type 2 plug is only used for AC.
It has 7 pins for
- 3 phases
- 1 neutral
- 1 earth
- 1 communication
- 1 cable amp support

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Thanks for the clarification, @micstriit. I hadn't realized that Tesla had their own modification of the European Type 2 connector to allow faster (up to 120 kW) DC charging from that connector for MS and MX.

All of these regional differences must make it more expensive/difficult to export an electric car if someone wanted to keep it while relocating.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
I don’t understand either, and I wish they hadn’t used such a ”just tacked on” solution. If the aftermarket offers a delete kit, I will be one of the first to purchase it.

micstriit

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the clarification, @micstriit. I hadn't realized that Tesla had their own modification of the European Type 2 connector to allow faster (up to 120 kW) DC charging from that connector for MS and MX.

All of these regional differences must make it more expensive/difficult to export an electric car if someone wanted to keep it while relocating.
I know someone that did import a Fiat 500 electric from the US (it is not sold as an electric in Europe). It was hell to fit a type 2 plug on it, so you can charge it here. Also a lot of EVs from Asia only support single phase AC charging, because in the US and Asia private residences only have a single phase. in europe every house has 3 phases (except in the UK I think). so I can for example charge my Ioniq only with a single phase even my charger has 3 phases.
the MachE will have 3 phase ac charger in Europe and 1 phase in the US, so that's great.

micstriit

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
new video from germany

there is no new info I was not aware of in the video. the reviewer likes the car specifically for that price. he thinks the quality is better than his Kona electric. he has a reservation for an VW ID.3 and he thinks that he can get a bigger and better car for the same price with the MachE, so he is tempted.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
new video from germany

there is no new info I was not aware of in the video. the reviewer likes the car specifically for that price. he thinks the quality is better than his Kona electric. he has a reservation for an VW ID.3 and he thinks that he can get a bigger and better car for the same price with the MachE, so he is tempted.
BTW, for those that don't speak German. If you open the video in YouTube. In the bottom right corner you can click on Closed Captions. Then click the gear icon (settings) next to it, and choose subtitles, and then auto translate into whatever language is best for you.
Sponsored