buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I don’t understand either, and I wish they hadn’t used such a ”just tacked on” solution. If the aftermarket offers a delete kit, I will be one of the first to purchase it.
From all the earlier information the hook was added due to focus groups, which are always very hit n miss. I like others find the whole added hook stupid and have said a such on other posts, they have gone to a lot of expense and engineering to have a flush doors without any visible handle cut into them as they did not want to do visible flush handles such as those on a jag f-type but then go and ruin it with a tacky add on handle.

You also only get the tiny handle on the front as it is still within the aero foot print of the door mirror as adding one at the back would add drag. While I would have preferred the simplicity of a flush jag f-type style door handle, hopefully pre-produciton door issues are just simple teething problems you think everyone would have learn from the the tesla falcon doors debacle.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
modernmusclecars.de
Vehicles
2018 Camaro 2SS
Country flag
he has a reservation for an VW ID.3 and he thinks that he can get a bigger and better car for the same price with the MachE, so he is tempted.
I think this is not a fair comparison. The base ID.3 costs 29.900€, the highest model 45.000€ - The base Mach-E costs 46.900€ with AWD + X it's 62.900€.

But if you just go for styling, the Mach-E is clearly my favorite electric car is this segment.

micstriit

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Ioniq electric, Renault Twizy
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I think this is not a fair comparison. The base ID.3 costs 29.900€, the highest model 45.000€ - The base Mach-E costs 46.900€ with AWD + X it's 62.900€.

But if you just go for styling, the Mach-E is clearly my favorite electric car is this segment.
I had a reservation for the ID.3 first edition (58kwh Battery) in Switzerland, In Switzerland you can only have the first edition "Max" version for 54'000 CHF (55'600 USD) ! That is far away of the price they first told. Sure it has more features than the base "first edition", but the car still is a hard plastic dessert.
Now i have a MachE reservation for less (53'100 CHF; 54'600 USD), sure no HUD, but who cares. interior for sure will be better!

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
modernmusclecars.de
Vehicles
2018 Camaro 2SS
Country flag
Oh wow, that's an insane price for the ID.3 first edition. With the now released prices for the normal ID.3 models that's easily a few thousand dollar loss on market value if you went for the first edition... :oops:
In this case, I would totally switch to the Mach-E.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
From all the earlier information the hook was added due to focus groups, which are always very hit n miss. I like others find the whole added hook stupid and have said a such on other posts, they have gone to a lot of expense and engineering to have a flush doors without any visible handle cut into them as they did not want to do visible flush handles such as those on a jag f-type but then go and ruin it with a tacky add on handle.

You also only get the tiny handle on the front as it is still within the aero foot print of the door mirror as adding one at the back would add drag. While I would have preferred the simplicity of a flush jag f-type style door handle, hopefully pre-produciton door issues are just simple teething problems you think everyone would have learn from the the tesla falcon doors debacle.
I wish I could try it myself. The hook may come in handy, especially with hands full of other things. Probably easier to open the door with that, than any other door pull commonly seen on cars today. The Model 3 handles are worthless if your hands are full.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I wish I could try it myself. The hook may come in handy, especially with hands full of other things. Probably easier to open the door with that, than any other door pull commonly seen on cars today. The Model 3 handles are worthless if your hands are full.
The idea of the door just popping out was that you could stick your hand in and pull. Of course it depends on what you holding in your hands. The theory being that it is easier than pulling on a handle. With the hick I just have visions on it jabbing me in the ribs or a bag strap get hooked around it as a fumble around to open to door.

Probably going to be one of those try it and see as I will mainly be using the mach-e to commute so will have my work phone on me, which for security reasons won't allow me to put some ford app on it, I will be fumbling around with the key fob most of time :(. So it is going to be a backwards step from the keyless set up I currently have with my focus.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I will mainly be using the mach-e to commute so will have my work phone on me, which for security reasons won't allow me to put some ford app on it, I will be fumbling around with the key fob most of time :(. So it is going to be a backwards step from the keyless set up I currently have with my focus.
You may be right, but it's also possible that the car could detect the key fob without you pressing any button on the key fob. If that's right, then the door could still present itself as you approach like it would with a paired phone. It's also a possibility that it works exactly like it does on your Focus. You push the little circle in the B-frame, this triggers the car to verify that your keyfob is in proximity, and then it presents the door.

Are you permitted to pair Bluetooth devices on your work phone? If yes, maybe that's all you'll need. I'm not sure yet if the FordPass app is required for door unlock access. From what I understand (I don't have an iPhone), iOS doesn't let third party apps do much of anything in the background. If that's true, in order to make door access work for Apple users, Ford would probably only be relying on the BLE connection to be established, which is unrelated to their FordPass app being installed.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
You may be right, but it's also possible that the car could detect the key fob without you pressing any button on the key fob. If that's right, then the door could still present itself as you approach like it would with a paired phone. It's also a possibility that it works exactly like it does on your Focus. You push the little circle in the B-frame, this triggers the car to verify that your keyfob is in proximity, and then it presents the door.

Are you permitted to pair Bluetooth devices on your work phone? If yes, maybe that's all you'll need. I'm not sure yet if the FordPass app is required for door unlock access. From what I understand (I don't have an iPhone), iOS doesn't let third party apps do much of anything in the background. If that's true, in order to make door access work for Apple users, Ford would probably only be relying on the BLE connection to be established, which is unrelated to their FordPass app being installed.
I thought it didn't present itself until the button was pressed. Otherwise if you walked away it would have to retract the door.

Im assume a key fob is the same as the phone. If I have either, I walk up, push the button and the door opens.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
you also have the option of punching in the PIN, but I agree that I would expect the car to detect the fob in your pocket

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
In some of the video interviews, they've said that the driver door would present as you approach it. And I agree with you that this will be annoying if that happens simply because I walk by the door without intending to get into the car. I hope it's configurable.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
In some of the video interviews, they've said that the driver door would present as you approach it. And I agree with you that this will be annoying if that happens simply because I walk by the door without intending to get into the car. I hope it's configurable.
Imagine washing or polishing. That could get old fast.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Wait a moment, I heard you say that there’s pony symbol in the headlights? Could you explain on that?

TOBG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2021 Mach-E Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The idea of the door just popping out was that you could stick your hand in and pull. Of course it depends on what you holding in your hands. The theory being that it is easier than pulling on a handle. With the hick I just have visions on it jabbing me in the ribs or a bag strap get hooked around it as a fumble around to open to door.

Probably going to be one of those try it and see as I will mainly be using the mach-e to commute so will have my work phone on me, which for security reasons won't allow me to put some ford app on it, I will be fumbling around with the key fob most of time :(. So it is going to be a backwards step from the keyless set up I currently have with my focus.
I agree. I sure hope it is configurable. My Hyundai has a similar feature for the rear trunk. The problem is it pops open when I go by it in the garage. I was able to disable it.

Mister Mitch

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Flex Limited
Occupation
Retired Navy
Country flag
cool detail re: usb and usb-c plugs in front and back. and i hope they add more bolstering for the production seats -- if the mustang is supposed to be a sports car and they dialed in the handling to reflect that, i hope they don't just put in seats from an escape. otherwise the premium interior sounds great.
I was talking to a Ford Dealership in California looking to get a few new level 2 chargers installed from Webasto Charging Systems Inc (I work for them but not in the sales dept). We were talking about the Mach-E and I was telling him how I currently own a Ford Flex, but that I have to pay off the Flex before I get the Mach-E. He said that I will be pretty happy then, as the front seats are from the Flex.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I was talking to a Ford Dealership in California looking to get a few new level 2 chargers installed from Webasto Charging Systems Inc (I work for them but not in the sales dept). We were talking about the Mach-E and I was telling him how I currently own a Ford Flex, but that I have to pay off the Flex before I get the Mach-E. He said that I will be pretty happy then, as the front seats are from the Flex.
Hmm, that's interesting and explains the observation by those lucky enough to sit in the E that the seats are not body conforming like the "traditional" mustang. Honestly, I find the curves at the shoulders uncomfortable in my 2015 pony's seats. I don't know if I have on oddly long torso or weird shoulders, but it feels like the seat is trying to push my shoulders forward all the time and it gets tedious after an hour of driving. In that regard my wife's durango has much more comfortable seats, except that they are in a durango :)
Sponsored