Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT AWDe and Honda Insight
Occupation
Semi Retired
Country flag
TY.

Turn off CarPlay in the ME or my phone? And do I have to turn off CarPlay every time I want to wiFi connect to the FitCam?
Sponsored

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
TY.

Turn off CarPlay in the ME or m,y phone? And do I have to turn off CarPlay every time I want to wiFi connect to the FitCam?
Turn it off on your phone. CarPlay takes over your phoneā€™s WiFi radio, so it wonā€™t be able to connect to any other WiFi network while itā€™s connected.

Darkenmage

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi Retired
Country flag
OK so that works, but do I have to disable the phone's CarPlay every time I want to see the camera live view? And if so, there is no viewing live view with the phone while driving? Hmm, not sure I would like that and may have to return this....

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OK so that works, but do I have to disable the phone's CarPlay every time I want to see the camera live view? And if so, there is no viewing live view with the phone while driving? Hmm, not sure I would like that and may have to return this....
Yes. Thatā€™s a limitation of the phone, not the camera. Why would you want to watch a live view on your phone while driving? Youā€™ll have a better view by looking out the windshield.

Darkenmage

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi Retired
Country flag
No not me watching but my wife as a passenger. So this thing just continuously record a video and overwrites the oldest one? How about if I want to take a pic, just hit the camera button on it?

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No not me watching but my wife as a passenger. So this thing just continuously record a video and overwrites the oldest one? How about if I want to take a pic, just hit the camera button on it?
Yes, it continuously records and overwrites the oldest files. I use a 128GB memory card, which holds about 5 hours of 4k footage. If it senses an impact, it will lock the current video file so it doesn't get overwritten. You can press the button on the camera if you want to take a still pic, but I've never found a reason to do that.

I guess I'm still not understanding your use case. Why would your wife want to watch a live view of the camera while she's in the car as a passenger? She can just see the same view out the front windshield. If she really wants to, she could just use her own phone since that probably won't be connected to CarPlay while you're driving, right?

Honestly, I only use the app to do the initial camera configuration. For watching the footage, it's much easier to just pop out the memory card and put it in a computer.

Darkenmage

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi Retired
Country flag
TY you are right. We will be doing a long drive this coming weekend - FL to TX so I will see how it goes. I don't have a 128GB card right now. I will buy one in TX and swap it out for the return trip back.

tman

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
Just to clarify - turning off CarPlay is required at all times or just if you do not have an SD card in the unit?

This exchange with @Darkenmage has me confused....

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just to clarify - turning off CarPlay is required at all times or just if you do not have an SD card in the unit?

The camera won't operate without an SD card installed. You only need to turn off CarPlay when you want to connect to the camera via WiFi. I only did that for the initial setup, so I never needed to turn off CarPlay again. If you don't want to change any of the default settings, you don't necessarily even have to connect to the camera once.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

You donā€™t actually have to turn off CarPlay, you just need to do something that prevents CarPlay from hijacking the phoneā€™s WiFi connection. I usually just turn off Bluetooth to do a configuration, then turn it back on when I am done. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You donā€™t actually have to turn off CarPlay, you just need to do something that prevents CarPlay from hijacking the phoneā€™s WiFi connection. I usually just turn off Bluetooth to do a configuration, then turn it back on when I am done. šŸ˜ŠšŸ©
If the CarPlay connection is already established, will turning off Bluetooth kill that connection? I guess I've never tried.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
If the CarPlay connection is already established, will turning off Bluetooth kill that connection? I guess I've never tried.
Yeah, it kills it. CarPlay requires both a BT and a WiFi connection to work. It just seemed easier to kill BT temporarily than to dig down and disable CarPlay. Iā€™m a lazy dog. That could explain why the quick brown fox jumped over me. šŸ¤ŖšŸ©

Darkenmage

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi Retired
Country flag
BTW, wasn't sure about the specs of the memory card so I asked FitCam and when they replied they said maximum of 256GB?! Curious if anyone is running with that size?!

OP
OP
generaltso

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
BTW, wasn't sure about the specs of the memory card so I asked FitCam and when they replied they said maximum of 256GB?! Curious if anyone is running with that size?!
The printed specs say 128GB. A 256GB may work fine, but I havenā€™t tried it.

Lb8403

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium EXT AWD
Country flag
Read through all the comments and want to thank everyone for the hard lessons learned and sharing them with us here. Will definitely be taking them forward when I get mine installed, especially the sentry fuse box install.

Sharing recent review of the FitCam to include photos 1) new App in store that apparently fixes a recording in 4K issue that some customers may have noticed 2) recording stats on 256GB expansion.

Hope it helps

Ford Mustang Mach-E My Journey with FITCAMX (Dash Cam with OEM look) 19E4C1F0-9119-4F5A-AE13-E256CB38800D
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Journey with FITCAMX (Dash Cam with OEM look) 4B2535BE-4A1E-4174-9F9B-39711EE7B8A0

FitCamX Review - YouTube. 16:24 (1/2 that at 2x šŸ˜¬)