Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Any trick to getting the cable through the boot? As much as I tried, I can't even get close.
I disconnected the rubber boot from the lift gate and then ran a 10AWG wire that I was using as a fish tape through the tube from the underside. It was a bit of work but much easier than trying with both ends anchored (since I tried first that way). I ran a piece of edger filament through the hole in the lift gate and pulled the 10 ga. fish tape through into the liftgate. After that, I anchored the other end of the fish tape to the rear camera cable and pulled it through. 😊🐩
Sponsored

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I disconnected the rubber boot from the lift gate and then ran a 10AWG wire that I was using as a fish tape through the tube from the underside. It was a bit of work but much easier than trying with both ends anchored (since I tried first that way). I ran a piece of edger filament through the hole in the lift gate and pulled the 10 ga. fish tape through into the liftgate. After that, I anchored the other end of the fish tape to the rear camera cable and pulled it through. 😊🐩
How do you disconnect the boot? Do you just pull? or are there tabs? I didn't want to break anything.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
How do you disconnect the boot? Do you just pull? or are there tabs? I didn't want to break anything.
There are 4 tabs on either end. Use your plastic spatula that you use to remove inter panels to depress them (or you can be daring and use your pocket knife). 😊🐩

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
There are 4 tabs on either end. Use your plastic spatula that you use to remove inter panels to depress them (or you can be daring and use your pocket knife). 😊🐩
really stupid question, but where do I insert the trim removal tool. there's no room.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
really stupid question, but where do I insert the trim removal tool. there's no room.
You need to pull the boot enough to have a little gap between the rubber and the body of the car. There are 4 tabs. One tab is at the apex of each of the rounded ends. One tan is at the midsection of the flat part. 😊🐩

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Heh, my fuse taps came in this morning. I noticed that they are ~0.030” (0.76mm) larger than the standard for the fuse. 😱🐩 since the fuses look to fit pretty tightly into their sockets in the fuse box I machined the taps down to the maximum of the standard. I will go do the install when there is a long break in Talladega. 🤪🐩

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
OK, nothing insane happened at Talladega, so I had to wait until Elliott won and gave interviews. I cut the Mini fuse taps off of the two leads for the fuse box and installed a shaved Micro2 fuse tap on each. I used Fuse 7 for the Batt+ connection and Fuse 23 for the ACC connection. I think then I hook up a backup battery I will connect both leads to the battery so that the camera is on all the time. The camera’s app has a setting for parking impact, so maybe I can just leave well enough alone and not install a backup battery? 🤷‍♂️🐩

The output from the rear is really yellow. Possibly from the >90% tint (<10% light transmission in optical terms) tint on the rear windows. I think the rear cam is gonna be pretty useless at night, but we will see. I thought that I might need to space the rear cam down a little from where it’s mounted, but the field of view looks fine (could be better, but I am not complaining). 😊🐩

The worst thing about the install is the refusal of the right A-pillar cover to go back in, ending up breaking itself once I got both tabs inserted and releasing pressure. I’m going to have to buy a new one. 😕🐩

Total install time: <3 hours yesterday, plus 10 minutes today (20 minutes if you count my running around looking for the password for the camera so I could connect the app). 🤷‍♂️🐩

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
OK, nothing insane happened at Talladega, so I had to wait until Elliott won and gave interviews. I cut the Mini fuse taps off of the two leads for the fuse box and installed a shaved Micro2 fuse tap on each. I used Fuse 7 for the Batt+ connection and Fuse 23 for the ACC connection. I think then I hook up a backup battery I will connect both leads to the battery so that the camera is on all the time. The camera’s app has a setting for parking impact, so maybe I can just leave well enough alone and not install a backup battery? 🤷‍♂️🐩

The output from the rear is really yellow. Possibly from the >90% tint (<10% light transmission in optical terms) tint on the rear windows. I think the rear cam is gonna be pretty useless at night, but we will see. I thought that I might need to space the rear cam down a little from where it’s mounted, but the field of view looks fine (could be better, but I am not complaining). 😊🐩

The worst thing about the install is the refusal of the right A-pillar cover to go back in, ending up breaking itself once I got both tabs inserted and releasing pressure. I’m going to have to buy a new one. 😕🐩

Total install time: <3 hours yesterday, plus 10 minutes today (20 minutes if you count my running around looking for the password for the camera so I could connect the app). 🤷‍♂️🐩
Above and beyond in your write ups fir us. Thanks. :)

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Last night Mark and I (mostly Mark) installed the front and rear FITCAMX system on my 2022 GT. Probably took about three hours total. Like Steve, for the read camera cable, we took the low road on the passenger side and came up the A pillar. Unlike Steve however, Mark didn't remove the A pillar trim but instead was able to get the cables set in behind the airbag just by using his fingers. I can't give any pointers, because I was too busy trying to devise the optimal cable routing for under the front camera housing. FITCAMX should really include cable routing mounts on the housing to simplify the routing, especially if using their fuse box cable kit. (They should also install fuse taps that actually fit the Mach E.) I'm not thrilled with my final fit of the front housing, I think in large part due to the cable routing and will (someday, most likely) remove the housing and make some adjustments. Currently the housing sits slightly proud on the passenger side facing the passenger seat. It's 100% functional and not obnoxious, but I'd like to see it improved. I tried the heat gun trick and maybe made it a bit better, but also stupidly shined up a bit of the texture as I wasn't careful enough with moving the gun around. Luckily it's on a portion that almost impossible to see so I'll not worry (too much) about it, even though I know it's there. I also initially mounted the rear camera bracket facing the wrong direction (maybe I shouldn't have had that margarita at dinner!🤣), but that was easily rectified, especially because Mark has 3M VHB tape at the ready.

I guess now it's time for me to RTFM.

Once again, huge thanks to @markboris for all your help (frankly doing almost all of the installation) while I mostly babysat FDRS as we updated my many out of date modules. You rock.

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<SNIP>
Like Steve, for the read camera cable, we took the low road on the passenger side and came up the A pillar. Unlike Steve however, Mark didn't remove the A pillar trim but instead was able to get the cables set in behind the airbag just by using his fingers.
<SNIP>
Currently the housing sits slightly proud on the passenger side facing the passenger seat. It's 100% functional and not obnoxious, but I'd like to see it improved. I tried the heat gun trick and maybe made it a bit better, but also stupidly shined up a bit of the texture as I wasn't careful enough with moving the gun around.
<SNIP>
Great job guys! 😍🐩

How the heck did @markboris get that cable up the dash, through the A-pillar and thread it through the headliner to the mirror? Is he Mr. Fantastic? I need to order a new A-pillar cover today. 🤪🐩

I used the heat gun on the back side of the housing to prevent messing with the visible texture. I relaxed the bend I put in mine and it now looks better. It ain’t perfect but I can live with it. 🤔🐩

I just looked at the videos from front and rear recorded while going to work. No yellow cast. The yellow cast last night was likely due to the position of the sun and somewhat low light conditions. 😊🐩

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Great job guys! 😍🐩

How the heck did @markboris get that cable up the dash, through the A-pillar and thread it through the headliner to the mirror? Is he Mr. Fantastic? I need to order a new A-pillar cover today. 🤪🐩

I used the heat gun on the back side of the housing to prevent messing with the visible texture. I relaxed the bend I put in mine and it now looks better. It ain’t perfect but I can live with it. 🤔🐩

I just looked at the videos from front and rear recorded while going to work. No yellow cast. The yellow cast last night was likely due to the position of the sun and somewhat low light conditions. 😊🐩
Hey Steve, while I was threading the wire through the boot from the lift gate to the body, John was removing the front and rear kick panels and the side dash panel on the passenger side. I then removed the body seal/gasket which gives you a nice gap to place the cable into coming up to the A-pillar. You can pull that A-pillar away from the body enough to get your fingers in there and thread the cable behind the air bag and then over up above the headliner.

I removed both A-pillars in my premium when I changed them from white to black (because I wanted less reflection on the windshield) and yes they were a PITA to install.

By the way, John had said it took us 3 hours to do the dash cam install (both cams) but it was less than that. We were updating all of his software at the same time and that did take 3 hours.

I agree with you and don't see a yellow cast in the videos of either camera. I also think it is fairly fast and a very decent camera setup which includes the OEM trim for the price. I am very pleased with this system.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Hey Steve, while I was threading the wire through the boot from the lift gate to the body, John was removing the front and rear kick panels and the side dash panel on the passenger side. I then removed the body seal/gasket which gives you a nice gap to place the cable into coming up to the A-pillar. You can pull that A-pillar away from the body enough to get your fingers in there and thread the cable behind the air bag and then over up above the headliner.

I removed both A-pillars in my premium when I changed them from white to black (because I wanted less reflection on the windshield) and yes they were a PITA to install.

By the way, John had said it took us 3 hours to do the dash cam install (both cams) but it was less than that. We were updating all of his software at the same time and that did take 3 hours.

I agree with you and don't see a yellow cast in the videos of either camera. I also think it is fairly fast and a very decent camera setup which includes the OEM trim for the price. I am very pleased with this system.
Aww, so I don’t get to call you Reed Richards? 🤪🐩

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

HuntingPudel