JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Now the trick is to hook the "display" up to some thing so that it counts when the car is charging (and resets when you lift the cable off the cradle).

Could probably do that with a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino without too much effort (Given that the EVSE is going to charge at a constant rate you wouldn't even have to interface with it at all just make the numbers reset to zero when the handle is removed and start counting stopping again only when the handle is put back in the holster).

Of course that wouldn't account for the car's timed charging, however. You could trigger on current (run a wire through a coil that the Pi/Arduino could detect). Or use homelink to just query the status if the charger is linked up.

Very cool as it is.
Sponsored

Sureshot125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X Premium
Country flag
I have had this idea circulating in my mind for some time. Finally able to get it all hooked up and finished. I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out.
Let me know what you think.

8A34FACD-B246-4090-A0BF-87A2394B02E7.jpeg

7F851A0C-E722-4928-8C58-905F1F17A312.jpeg

BBB1D41D-DF0A-407C-B3A1-A0DD627A4B10.jpeg

6C2187F9-F377-49C5-BDA7-02E46C536AB1.jpeg

D0C0BA12-1EC0-4E72-8B79-457BA96FE909.jpeg
did you snap the latch off the coupler?

Sureshot125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X Premium
Country flag
Now the trick is to hook the "display" up to some thing so that it counts when the car is charging (and resets when you lift the cable off the cradle).

Could probably do that with a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino without too much effort (Given that the EVSE is going to charge at a constant rate you wouldn't even have to interface with it at all just make the numbers reset to zero when the handle is removed and start counting stopping again only when the handle is put back in the holster).

Of course that wouldn't account for the car's timed charging, however. You could trigger on current (run a wire through a coil that the Pi/Arduino could detect). Or use homelink to just query the status if the charger is linked up.

Very cool as it is.
Probably just an arduino with a light sensor over the original box, hooked up to some LEDs up top.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Probably just an arduino with a light sensor over the original box, hooked up to some LEDs up top.
Ah yeah watch for the display on the EVSE to come on..nice and simple I like it.

Still I'd want it to turn the original gas dials when charging.

OP
OP

ctmars02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
87 GT, 96 Cobra, reservation for Mach-E GT
Country flag
did you snap the latch off the coupler?
Sure did…… have it to try and super glue back on, just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

OP
OP

ctmars02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
87 GT, 96 Cobra, reservation for Mach-E GT
Country flag
Sure did…… have it to try and super glue back on, just haven’t gotten around to it yet.
Superglue won’t stick to it. Just tried, and only managed to stick my fingers together ?

any idea what may work to glue back the coupler?

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
Looks good but is this real rust? I would be a little worried of getting tetanus if scratched by the rusty parts :)
Despite this common belief you don't actually get tetanus from rust. You get it when an open wound is exposed to soil. I guess nails sitting int he dirt are often rusty, hence the confusion. There should be no risk from brushing up against this rusty pump. All the same, it's always a good idea to keep up to date on your tetanus vaccine.
Sponsored