Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I received my Rapid Red FE yesterday. What a car, everything I expected. My dilemma, trying to charge the Mach e using the 120 charger that came with the car. I would like to use this 120 charger until, I have a 240 line installed. When I put the car on charge, I get a blue light and it will charge sometimes for a few hours and then shows yellow and its disconnected. The outlet has a 15 amp breaker that does my garage and bedrooms. When charging everything is off except the charger plugged into the wall. The outlet in the garage does have a ground fault on it. I think they call it a GFCi. Would that be the problem why the charger disconnects. I have not setup and charging times in the car or app. Any advise would greatly be appreciated.
Sponsored

Reactions: UW2

Tremor38

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
Is the breaker or gfci tripping?

OP
OP
Ponypower50

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for responding, No neither one trips. The lights in the garage stay on as well as the charger except the light turns amber,

OP
OP
Ponypower50

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have not touched any of the charging settings in the car.

OP
OP
Ponypower50

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was also watching the Ford charging app on my phone, and when I went to scroll to additional charging info. It showed the charger disconnected. I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Make sure the 110 adapter is plugged all the way into the charger; it should insert far enough that the molding on the adapter is flush with the body of the charger. Also, make sue that there is strain relief on the cable so the weight of the charger doesn't pull the adapter cord out

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Are you using an extension cord? That can lower the voltage to an unacceptable level.

jcharnet

First Name
Joao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I just learned today that we should use dedicated 20A breaker for 120V outlet. Ford told my dealership and they told me.

OP
OP
Ponypower50

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the reply

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Thanks for responding, No neither one trips. The lights in the garage stay on as well as the charger except the light turns amber,
What does the owner's manual say the amber light means? Maybe, there's a clue there.

I've been using a 115V Ford Mobile Charger on my Fusion Energi, and it behaves somewhat erratically. But the plug I'm using probably is not properly grounded.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I just learned today that we should use dedicated 20A breaker for 120V outlet. Ford told my dealership and they told me.
I should drive the speed limit but do I?

Charger is drawing 13 AMPS draw which is close to a 15 AMP breaker so I get a 20A statement, most garage outlets are already 20A for newer homes which can be confirmed by looking at the breaker. However I can understand if the outlet was shared among other appliances it could trip the breaker, so dedicated makes sense but the home owner can control this. It should not cause the charging to stop or act strange. I have used an extension cord or direct to outlet with two different charges and no issues on a non dedicated outlet. But I get why they said this however it's not in relation to your issue.

This is a strange one, let us know if it happens again.

Reactions: UW2

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
What does the owner's manual say the amber light means? Maybe, there's a clue there.

I've been using a 115V Ford Mobile Charger on my Fusion Energi, and it behaves somewhat erratically. But the plug I'm using probably is not properly grounded.
Bad ground can cause havoc for sure.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I should drive the speed limit but do I?

Charger is drawing 13 AMPS draw which is close to a 15 AMP breaker so I get a 20A statement, most garage outlets are already 20A for newer homes which can be confirmed by looking at the breaker. However I can understand if the outlet was shared among other appliances it could trip the breaker, so dedicated makes sense but the home owner can control this. It should not cause the charging to stop or act strange. I have used an extension cord or direct to outlet with two different charges and no issues on a non dedicated outlet. But I get why they said this however it's not in relation to your issue.

This is a strange one, let us know if it happens again.
FWIW, you're supposed to de-rate the breaker by 20%, so for a 15 A breaker you shouldn't be pulling more than 12 A for a single load... hence the 20 A requirement.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
FWIW, you're supposed to de-rate the breaker by 20%, so for a 15 A breaker you shouldn't be pulling more than 12 A for a single load... hence the 20 A requirement.
Totally agree!
Sponsored