Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Timbop, you were right, I was letting the charger hang from the outlet hence loosened the connection to the outlet and the car stopped charging. Wow, I guess I learned something today. . Just to let you know the 120 charger works great, I am at 81% battery. It does take a long time to charge and I will be having a 240 line installed. Thanks everyone for the reply!
Sponsored

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
How do you keep the charger from hanging off the outlet? DId you have to support it in some way?

hag911

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Fusion Hybrid, 2014 Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
How do you keep the charger from hanging off the outlet? DId you have to support it in some way?
The charging unit comes with a small hanger you can mount on the wall. It took me awhile to notice it as it was on the charging unit. Of course you would probably leave the holder attached the wall when you take the charger with you.

OP
OP
Ponypower50

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes, I propped the charger on a table next to it.

Phil Warren

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Select, 1983 Mustang GT
Country flag
Timbop, you were right, I was letting the charger hang from the outlet hence loosened the connection to the outlet and the car stopped charging. Wow, I guess I learned something today. . Just to let you know the 120 charger works great, I am at 81% battery. It does take a long time to charge and I will be having a 240 line installed. Thanks everyone for the reply!
That's exactly what happened when I tried my first charge using 120v with my new MME last month. Didn't realize the cord wasn't seated all the way into the charger.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I received my Rapid Red FE yesterday. What a car, everything I expected. My dilemma, trying to charge the Mach e using the 120 charger that came with the car. I would like to use this 120 charger until, I have a 240 line installed. When I put the car on charge, I get a blue light and it will charge sometimes for a few hours and then shows yellow and its disconnected. The outlet has a 15 amp breaker that does my garage and bedrooms. When charging everything is off except the charger plugged into the wall. The outlet in the garage does have a ground fault on it. I think they call it a GFCi. Would that be the problem why the charger disconnects. I have not setup and charging times in the car or app. Any advise would greatly be appreciated.

try using a non-gfci circuit, and a nice fat 12ga or preferably 10ga extension cord, and short as possible... and without the lighted ends. I had a cord with lighted ends get so warm after a couple hours at 12amps that it partially melted the plug end AND the outlet!

Another thing to avoid is putting a kill-a-watt meter inline to measure kWhr input. The say they can handle 15amps..... but not for hours.

I charged mine on a regular 15 amp 120v circuit for months before I got around to installing a 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet w 50amp breaker. No problems with a 'construction-grade' 10awg cord.

Last edited:

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
That's exactly what happened when I tried my first charge using 120v with my new MME last month. Didn't realize the cord wasn't seated all the way into the charger.
....aha
well, I see you've found a more likely problem if it was not fully plugged in. The slightest wiggle may have given a little arc fault and stopped charge.
Sponsored