Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I have been waffling back and forth about how much the high-speed performance concerns me. I am going to talk to dealer about the Ford Options lease, and see what they would offer on a vehicle that we might trade in, and then make a decision. I will let everyone know in the next day or two.
Sponsored

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
The lease I was offered was really bad because of 1) the interest rate and 2) they didn't apply the federal tax credit as cap reduction. Buying seemed a better option.

Just for comparison the lease for a 2021 Polestar 2 which has almost the same MSRP as the GT had a monthly payment that was less than half of what I was quoted for the GT. The GT lease monthly payment was also significantly higher than the 2022 Volvo XC4 EV which also had a similar MSRP.

Everyone's situation is different so you should check what makes more sense for your case.

Last edited:

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
The lease I was offered was really bad because of 1) the interest rate and 2) they don't apply the federal tax credit as cap reduction. Buying seemed a better option.

Just for comparison the lease for a 2021 Polestar 2 which has almost the same MSRP as the GT had a monthly payment that was less than half of what I was quoted for the GT.

Everyone's situation is different but I felt if you buy a Polestar then leasing makes more financial sense than buying but for the GT it is the opposite.
Current best rate for Ford Options is 2.25%. And you get a $1000 or $2500 rebate based on zip code. And you get to claim the $7500 Fed Tax Credit yourself because it isnā€™t a Lease. Itā€™s a purchase with a balloon payment due if you choose to keep rather than turn in your MME. Sounds like your dealer didnā€™t offer Options financing to you.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
Current best rate for Ford Options is 2.25%. And you get a $1000 or $2500 rebate based on zip code. And you get to claim the $7500 Fed Tax Credit yourself because it isnā€™t a Lease. Itā€™s a purchase with a balloon payment due if you choose to keep rather than turn in your MME. Sounds like your dealer didnā€™t offer Options financing to you.
My comment above was for the "traditional" lease option.

I was offered that too, but this is not a lease, it is basically a finance/lease hybrid. The problem with that is that in California you pay taxes for the full purchase price and not the amount of payments you make in 3 years. Taxes here is ~10%.
So in my case it was not worth it given the tax and the 2.25%, and having to deal with Ford Options when I trade it in.

Everyone's situation is different, so you should consider all options.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
My comment above was for the "traditional" lease option.

I was offered that too, but this is not a lease, it is basically a finance/lease hybrid. The problem with that is that in California you pay taxes for the full purchase price and not the amount of payments you make in 3 years. Taxes here is ~10%.
So in my case it was not worth it given the tax and the 2.25%, and having to deal with Ford Options when I trade it in.

Everyone's situation is different, so you should consider all options.
Those who choose Ford Options pay the sales tax over the full purchase price everywhere, not just in California. It is a purchase after all.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
Those who choose Ford Options pay the full sales tax everywhere, not just in California. It is a purchase after all.
Correct, my point was the difference of Ford Options vs a traditional lease for which you pay taxes in CA only for the lease payments and with a 10% tax rate the difference can be significant.

Assuming $61k MSRP, 55% residual (I am making this up) and 10% tax rate with Ford options you would pay $3355 more in taxes than the traditional lease, assuming you return the car after 3 years.

Last edited:

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Correct, my point was the difference of Ford Options vs a traditional lease for which you pay taxes in CA only for the lease payments and with a 10% tax rate the difference can be significant.

Assuming $61k MSRP, 55% residual (I am making this up) and 10% tax rate with Ford options you would pay $3355 more in taxes than the traditional lease.
That's interesting as most all dealers are not offering a "normal lease" on this car. You either finance, cash or do Ford Options. Ford Options you get hit with more tax wise, but it is essentially interest free since the $2,500 reduction in Cali covers most interest and even with the taxes, the math comes out cheaper than a standard loan. There is a mega thread on it and if you can get the $2,500 rebate, it 100% makes sense to take it. Plus, you can literally refinance right after if you can get a better rate than the 2.25% being offered. Lastly, if the car takes a dive price wise, you can just turn it in or keep paying the same payment for 3 more years.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I have been waffling back and forth about how much the high-speed performance concerns me. I am going to talk to dealer about the Ford Options lease, and see what they would offer on a vehicle that we might trade in, and then make a decision. I will let everyone know in the next day or two.
Well congrats, kinda. I reconciled my feelings on the matter with the fact that I won't be taking the car to the track so it doesn't really matter to me that much. Most of the time when I'm going to be using the smile inducing power is on back roads where it'll be in the meat of the powerband.

0t60-3.5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT PE, + ME Select AWD, '21 Explorer ST
Occupation
Tech Company Owner / CEO
Country flag
Well congrats, kinda. I reconciled my feelings on the matter with the fact that I won't be taking the car to the track so it doesn't really matter to me that much. Most of the time when I'm going to be using the smile inducing power is on back roads where it'll be in the meat of the powerband.
See my new thread about power how I discovered it is said the GTPE delivers:

5SOP and then CTJ. ;)

That is, you get "5 Seconds of Power" and then it "Cools The Jets" by design.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-power-then-cools-the-jets.10416/#post-260784

Rfehl62

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Ford Sales consultant
Country flag
The lease I was offered was really bad because of 1) the interest rate and 2) they didn't apply the federal tax credit as cap reduction. Buying seemed a better option.

Just for comparison the lease for a 2021 Polestar 2 which has almost the same MSRP as the GT had a monthly payment that was less than half of what I was quoted for the GT. The GT lease monthly payment was also significantly higher than the 2022 Volvo XC4 EV which also had a similar MSRP.

Everyone's situation is different so you should check what makes more sense for your case.
You need to go with the options plan. You will get 1.4% and be able to take the $7,500 tax credit

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
Those who choose Ford Options pay the sales tax over the full purchase price everywhere, not just in California. It is a purchase after all.
Is that really the case everywhere? My understanding is that here in NJ there is no sales tax on EVs. I didnā€™t think it mattered whether you use Ford Options or other means.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Is that really the case everywhere? My understanding is that here in NJ there is no sales tax on EVs. I didnā€™t think it mattered whether you use Ford Options or other means.
I should have qualified it as "where sales tax is applicable".;)

Xlch59

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 mach 2004 Cobra 2007 GT500
Country flag
I pick up my GTPE yesterday and went with the option plan. The dealer gave me $2500 rebate and added the $1500 California rebate. Taking the taxable value from $66,000 to $62,0000. I got a rate of 1.4% which worked for me.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 4X, ā€˜14 SS Sedan tuned, ā€˜17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Take the GT. Wait to see if Ford fixes the 5-second 100% power issue. If so, youā€™re good. If not, you can still probably sell it for what you paid or possibly a profit because of the supply shortages and crazy market. Plus, unless you purchased it with the intent of re-selling, claiming the $7500 Fed Tax credit isnā€™t unlawful. You wonā€™t lose money. Just my opinion, not meant to be sound financial or tax advice ?.

OP
OP

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I bought it. Its plenty fast at highway speeds. I ran from 70 to about 85 before it starts pulling power and then by the time I really reacted I was at 92mph. It doesn't pull power at all in other situations when I drove it (non-highway). I did that a couple of times in a roughly 1 minute period. Frankly I would not have realized it was doing anything at all had I not known to look for it. My "fast" car is a 625hp GT500, so I am not impressed by much. Highway roll-on accel is fine, and low-speed acceleration is borderline incredible for an SUV. I do understand how the power pulling will hurt numbers when you go full throttle at low speeds for a long while (like at a dragstrip), but I basically backed out with the "holy shit I am flying" before it pulled any power while driving it on non-freeways. In other words, if you pay attention you can become aware of what is happening, but it didn't affect my driving pleasure at all.

What I do find a bit irritating/interesting is how long you have to drive it from a "cold start" where batteries aren't preconditioned before you have access to all the power. Its a couple of minutes and/or a couple of miles, at least. When you start it from being plugged in and conditioned, its immediate. Kind of weird but its still pretty healthy feeling even when it won't give the full beans. You can see all this on the power meter, which is a nice touch.

Lastly, I feel like I could likely sell it in 6 months and make a profit, considering the $7500 government rebate. I just might do it. Had a long conversation with a Ford employee who is a factory engineer at a LARGE Ford production facility... They really don't know when supply chain will return to normal, and don't expect it to for perhaps a year. Until then, Mach-Es, Broncos, and other high-demand cars will be hard to get. Currently used Mach-Es are advertised above sticker.
Sponsored

Last edited: