My Mach-E was broken into today with items stolen. Ford, can we have Sentry Mode?

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
I used basic physics, not opinion. I don't have to look into it to know that the system isn't using 5-6kWh a day.
You used conjecture based on your opinion of what components are using power and what you believe are typical power usage of such components. I'm not disputing your math, I'm disputing your guessing of what inputs to use and using that guessing to dispute people with real world knowledge of power drain far from what you predict based upon guesses.
Sponsored

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
Tesla's problem is much worse -- the cars are plagued with phantom power loses without it enabled.
Having it on versus having it off does make a considerable difference in power drain while parked. I know this from first hand experience. The other considerable power drain is cabin overheat protection which turns on the AC when the interior gets over a certain temperature (something like 105F). If people have third party software that constantly pings the car, that could be another source of drainage (same as the MME).

I don't doubt that Sentry Mode could be done much more efficient (closer to theoretical calculations) if it were actually a designed feature rather than a 'this is a neat idea, let's implement it as a bolt on to existing systems' as was done.

OP
OP
Chainspell

Chainspell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium 4X, '23 GTPE
Country flag
this is good for insurance that you got a video and hopefully can show them documented proof, how is the repair of the side window going to work? do they have parts avail? hope nothing with the motor was damaged.
My local glass place had the OEM window in stock and had it replaced in an hour. Looks and works perfect. They cleaned up all the debris too.

If anyone in Sac area needs a glass repair recommendation, PM me.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
Gotta ask - why wouldn't you put it in the back where it is invisible? Or the frunk?
If I’m leaving a bag in the car it’s placed in the frunk before I even get to the location. You don’t want to have anything remotely visible in a car in California lol. They’ll even use Bluetooth scanning apps to find cars with electronics inside. You can literally tell what type of device it is too. So make sure you turn those off too.

OP
OP
Chainspell

Chainspell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium 4X, '23 GTPE
Country flag
What type of area did this happen in? A large city? A small city? A more suburban type area?
A medium-large city. On the edge of the main grid, a blend of commercial and residential areas. There is some crime around this area but it’s far from being a “bad area.” Typically it’s not happening in broad daylight with lots of people coming and going.

CA RTE 1

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CA RTE 1 ER, Escape, and Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm not against Ford offering the option of some kind of Sentry Mode. But where would the video files be stored? You could use a USB flash drive, but since the USB ports aren't locked up or hidden, what would stop a thief from grabbing the flash drive too?

CA RTE 1

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If I’m leaving a bag in the car it’s placed in the frunk before I even get to the location. You don’t want to have anything remotely visible in a car in California lol. They’ll even use Bluetooth scanning apps to find cars with electronics inside. You can literally tell what type of device it is too. So make sure you turn those off too.
I have several cameras that allows captures to go to my cloud account, yet will not stop a thief but may find a solution.

CA RTE 1

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
In California, this is not a crime, it's reparation.
More appropriately “reparations” were derived from the institution of “slavery” a viable criminal infliction upon kidnapped humans brought to America in cargo containers—separated from family members, sold, and suffered a multitude of inhumane deeds. On this forum, perhaps, your ancestry led you to a racist and slanderous remark (pachydermatous) toward a group of people, then you are likely part of that continuum.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
More appropriately “reparations” were derived from the institution of “slavery” a viable criminal infliction upon kidnapped humans brought to America in cargo containers—separated from family members, sold, and suffered a multitude of inhumane deeds. On this forum, perhaps, your ancestry led you to a racist and slanderous remark (pachydermatous) toward a group of people, then you are likely part of that continuum.
Oh Lordy, Hollier than thou response. Always ready to label people that you don't agree with.

I'm going to leave it at that. Don't want this to be more political than it already is.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Somehow watching the video makes it more real. And disgusting. I'm sorry this happened to you. You should move somewhere safer if you can, though I understand that is easier said than done. I just cannot imagine living somewhere this is the new normal. My god. It is hard for me to fathom the mindset of people who support a justice system that chooses to enable this behavior by looking the other way.

Also really "cool" - in a terrible way - the clarity that Tesla's Sentry Mode is capable of capturing.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
A year or so ago I wanted a sentry mode in the MME. Now I'm not so sure it matters. The alert on the phone app may be optimal.

The reason I don't think the sentry mode matters is that even with clear video identifying the perp in action and with a license plate in view, law enforcement in Portland will not pursue it. Its reduced to entertainment on Wham Baam Tesla Cam.

astrorob

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23MME GTPE, plug-in prius, 99 MBZ C43
Country flag
Sentry mode is a huge electricity hog, though. Reports on Tesla forums indicate Sentry mode uses 6-7% of the battery daily.
it is, but when the battery reaches 20% sentry mode automatically turns off. this is probably only a problem when you leave your tesla at the airport and go on a long holiday...

OP
OP
Chainspell

Chainspell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium 4X, '23 GTPE
Country flag
I'm not against Ford offering the option of some kind of Sentry Mode. But where would the video files be stored? You could use a USB flash drive, but since the USB ports aren't locked up or hidden, what would stop a thief from grabbing the flash drive too?
You're right that is going to always be a risk, but I would think most thieves have no idea or don't have time to search and pull it. Also many of the recorded events may not even be related to the vehicle that is recording, like in the case of this Tesla recording a different car break-in.