Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Ford F150
Occupation
Software
Country flag
The EVSE is controlled by the car, and the car is turning it back on, not the Emporia EVSE. It is just responding to commands from the car.
You are typing with a lot of confidence, but you are 100% wrong on this. As I posted above, when the vehicle stops charging at 80%, there are two more attempts to charge, exactly the same way as if I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in; the shutters on the car open and close, there are various clicks, it seems to start charging but immediately stops, because the car knows it is already at the charge level. The same thing happens when using the stop charge button, except in this case the car resumes charging because it is not at desired charge level, so to the car, it is similar to someone unplugging the charger and plugging it back in, charging starts again.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
You are typing with a lot of confidence, but you are 100% wrong on this. As I posted above, when the vehicle stops charging at 80%, there are two more attempts to charge, exactly the same way as if I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in; the shutters on the car open and close, there are various clicks, it seems to start charging but immediately stops, because the car knows it is already at the charge level. The same thing happens when using the stop charge button, except in this case the car resumes charging because it is not at desired charge level, so to the car, it is similar to someone unplugging the charger and plugging it back in, charging starts again.
For reference, I also have an Emporia EVSE.

What you are describing is strange but the EVSE should not be turning off unless you programmed it to do that, or the car is telling it to turn off. When it completes the charge, the car tells it to turn off.

I will try to repeat your test and see what it does on my car. It will be this evening, however...

OP
OP

SeeManRun

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Country flag
What you are describing is strange but the EVSE should not be turning off unless you programmed it to do that, or the car is telling it to turn off. When it completes the charge, the car tells it to turn off.

I will try to repeat your test and see what it does on my car. It will be this evening, however...
That would be fantastic if you can catch your car right before it stops charging to confirm, or try the "stop charging" in the app while beside it and report your observations. Perhaps my charger needs an update or is otherwise defective.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That would be fantastic if you can catch your car right before it stops charging to confirm, or try the "stop charging" in the app while beside it and report your observations. Perhaps my charger needs an update or is otherwise defective.
So I stopped the charge using FP, and it did not restart. However, I think probably the behavior of your car is normal, and mine is not because I got a charge station error. I think if I didn't get the error, it would have worked just like a pause as Rick mentioned. But I have no way to confirm it.

Because of the error, the car cannot resume charging. I had to unplug the connector and plug it back in to get the charging to start again. And it did immediately, even though I previously stopped it via FP.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you want to stop the charge I think you have to manually remove the plug. Which is not what I would expect either since there is a big ass button in FP that says "stop charging". It doesn't say "pause".

So I agree it doesn't make sense. But I think it is a Ford software issue that may get fixed at some point. My guess is FP tells the car to stop charging. It stops, and then the car forgets FP told it to stop. It sees it has a EVSE connected and it starts charging again.

Ford Mustang Mach-E My Mach-E won't stop charging after told to stop charging on Ford Pass App 1000008834

Ford Mustang Mach-E My Mach-E won't stop charging after told to stop charging on Ford Pass App 1000008838

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Normally charge my car to 80% and never ever have a problem. Last night charged to 80% and noticed this morning it was at 85%. This was after 6.4 OTA update earlier in the evening.

will check in a few days if corrected or still an issue
Charged up last night to 80% and this morning The cars battery level was 80%.

alls well.

OP
OP

SeeManRun

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Country flag
I think we need @EmporiaEnergy energy to chime in here on what it does and what it is supposed to do.
@mkhuffman is your charger wired or plugged in like mine? Not sure why that would make a difference, but would be good to know.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think we need @EmporiaEnergy energy to chime in here on what it does and what it is supposed to do.
@mkhuffman is your charger wired or plugged in like mine? Not sure why that would make a difference, but would be good to know.
Wired. I agree it shouldn't make a difference.

I really don't think it is a problem with your EVSE. It's the car.

BTW - what is the last OTA update you received?

OP
OP

SeeManRun

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Wired. I agree it shouldn't make a difference.

I really don't think it is a problem with your EVSE. It's the car.

BTW - what is the last OTA update you received?
I think I am on 6.4 or something, I can't recall. Got a bunch of updates in December, but never as high as people on this forum were saying. I have a 2021 Job 2.

I just don't see how it could be the car when it acts totally different with the two chargers, with the Ford included charger making sense; pause works properly, when the car stops charging that is it. The "smart" Emporia charger I think is the one that is giving me the issue; it has brains in it that the Ford just doesn't, so the Ford charger relies completely on the car to pull power. The Emporia feels like it is detecting the charging stop, and retrying by fiddling with the circuitry. It sounds, and I mean it actually sounds when I am standing next to it, like the Emporia charger is disconnecting internally and retrying the charge. It also makes sense to me that it is retrying a couple of times before giving up, because they don't want you to come down in the morning and find your car not charged due to a little fault that a retry would have solved. So I am thinking they programmed this and gave it brains (which they clearly have since it has schedules and peak demand settings etc) and told it to try a couple times before giving up. The Ford charger is dumb, just a straight plug with no brains and relies completely on the car detecting something is plugged in, and start sucking juice from it.

Without some confirmation from @EmporiaEnergy, it will be tough to make the full argument, and it sounds like your charger behaves differently, which certainly doesn't help (though if you try the Ford charger and pause with it, that might be interesting).

Thanks for the conversation, this is helpful.

SMR

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think I am on 6.4 or something, I can't recall. Got a bunch of updates in December, but never as high as people on this forum were saying. I have a 2021 Job 2.

I just don't see how it could be the car when it acts totally different with the two chargers, with the Ford included charger making sense; pause works properly, when the car stops charging that is it. The "smart" Emporia charger I think is the one that is giving me the issue; it has brains in it that the Ford just doesn't, so the Ford charger relies completely on the car to pull power. The Emporia feels like it is detecting the charging stop, and retrying by fiddling with the circuitry. It sounds, and I mean it actually sounds when I am standing next to it, like the Emporia charger is disconnecting internally and retrying the charge. It also makes sense to me that it is retrying a couple of times before giving up, because they don't want you to come down in the morning and find your car not charged due to a little fault that a retry would have solved. So I am thinking they programmed this and gave it brains (which they clearly have since it has schedules and peak demand settings etc) and told it to try a couple times before giving up. The Ford charger is dumb, just a straight plug with no brains and relies completely on the car detecting something is plugged in, and start sucking juice from it.

Without some confirmation from @EmporiaEnergy, it will be tough to make the full argument, and it sounds like your charger behaves differently, which certainly doesn't help (though if you try the Ford charger and pause with it, that might be interesting).

Thanks for the conversation, this is helpful.

SMR
I am on 6.8.0, so that could explain some differences. Maybe. I can't remember which OTA update increased the temperature protection of the charging port, but since they changed that behavior, it could have impacted something else. I should not get an error when stopping the charge from FP, right? There is something going on with the car.

From what I understand about how EVSEs work, they cannot turn on unless the car requests them to turn on. They can refuse to turn on when the car requests it, but if the car does not request it, they cannot turn on. All they can do is make power available and ready for when the car requests it. The car controls when it turns on, always. That is why I think what you are seeing is normal. Not expected, but normal.

The Ford EVSE does not have a mechanical contactor to connect power, so you cannot hear it turning on. Regardless, there could be different behavior from the car when L1 charging vs. L2 charging. I don't know. I agree it is strange the Ford EVSE behaves differently, but I don't think that means is must be a problem with the EVSE.

Of course I am not 100% sure there isn't a problem with your EVSE. I just highly doubt it. Can you find a public L2 EVSE and do your test on that one? I bet the same thing happens.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Jeremy, I have an update. This evening I wanted to stop the charge early so I used FP to stop it. I decided to go down to the garage anyway to unplug it and saw that it has resumed charging. No errors this time. FP still said charging was paused but when I refreshed it, it showed it was charging again. I unplugged it.

I think this behavior is normal. As I posted before, it isn't logical behavior but it is normal. I don't think there is anything wrong with your car or EVSE.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Jeremy, I have an update. This evening I wanted to stop the charge early so I used FP to stop it. I decided to go down to the garage anyway to unplug it and saw that it has resumed charging. No errors this time. FP still said charging was paused but when I refreshed it, it showed it was charging again. I unplugged it.

I think this behavior is normal. As I posted before, it isn't logical behavior but it is normal. I don't think there is anything wrong with your car or EVSE.
This is normal. If you tell the car to stop charging in FordPass, it will resume charging on its own. I don’t understand the logic, but that’s how it works.
The first time I parked at the airport and plugged in to the L2 there, there was no location established yet, so I figured I’d just stop the charge manually when I got to my destination. I stopped it at about 90%, but when I got back to the airport a couple days later, it was at 100%.

And you are correct - it has nothing to do with the EVSE. The car is in control.

OP
OP

SeeManRun

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Thanks for the info @mkhuffman . I have observed the same behaviour when using the Emporia charger. If you are interested enough, try out the Ford charger and see if the behaviour is the same. Just plug that charger in, let it charge then stop it in the Ford pass app and observe. If the car restarts charging within a minute, I will eat my words!

I have also seen what @Maquis says, where the car will resume charging even with the Ford charger. But it was hours and hours, possibly a day or so later when it resumed charging to the scheduled percentage. I am still pretty determined that the Emporia charger is somehow disconnecting itself when it stops and retries twice. In the event you paused charging in the app, the car thinks you have unplugged and replugged the charger and thus a new session starts and charging resumes.

I observed the same thing when the car got to the proper 80%. It kicked off, and then retried twice before finally stopping. If the Mustang was doing this, that makes very little sense, but to me it does make sense if the charger is doing something a bit odd and "retrying" when charging stops, for any reason.

Thanks guys!

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
When you stop the charge and look at the Emporia app it’ll say something like ‘ offering charge’ or plugged in not charging. I don’t have my car but I have tripped that error when hitting the button on the esve handle that cuts the charger off. I bumped it like 3 or 4 times in a couple seconds.

ZedThou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kawasaki Ninja 1000, Genuine Buddy 170i
Country flag
For the past week, I've been asking the Ford Pass app to stop charging immediately after plugging in. This is with the Emporia EVSE. Each time, the car shortly begins charging again. After 3 or 4 stop charging requests, the car finally stops the charge restarts.

Just my recent experience.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
See post #2...
Sponsored