Homestead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach-E, F-350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
On friday nights I charge mine to 85% and it sits several hours all night then in the morning I click charge to 100%.
It never starts again. This is using ford pass and grizzl-e charger.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
On friday nights I charge mine to 85% and it sits several hours all night then in the morning I click charge to 100%.
It never starts again. This is using ford pass and grizzl-e charger.
Why would it?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Shouldn’t, but does for OP.
The most recent poster says their's stops at 85% as set. Then they say Charge to 100%, and it does. Then it doesn't start again (because it's at 100%)...

Homestead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach-E, F-350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
The most recent poster says their's stops at 85% as set. Then they say Charge to 100%, and it does. Then it doesn't start again (because it's at 100%)...
My point was that it set all night paused without starting again until I manually restarted. Working as it should.

OP
OP

SeeManRun

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Ford F150
Occupation
Software
Country flag
My point was that it set all night paused without starting again until I manually restarted. Working as it should.
This is what I am looking for. Someone with a different charger, stopping their charge in the app, and the car respecting it. Some in this thread claim that it is just a pause, and that doesn't make sense to me, and they may think that because they have always used this Emporia charger that behaves "oddly". I am just trying to understand exactly how the charger works, but I haven't found anyone yet to confirm what I am seeing, which is that the charger detects the charging stopped, and essentially disconnects and retries charging a couple times before stopping. I don't like this functionality and I would rather it just respect the car and if the car stops charging, the charger just accepts it.

It sounds like your charger, which is not Emporia, behaves how I expect it should, which is similar to the included Ford charger.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is what I am looking for. Someone with a different charger, stopping their charge in the app, and the car respecting it. Some in this thread claim that it is just a pause, and that doesn't make sense to me, and they may think that because they have always used this Emporia charger that behaves "oddly". I am just trying to understand exactly how the charger works, but I haven't found anyone yet to confirm what I am seeing, which is that the charger detects the charging stopped, and essentially disconnects and retries charging a couple times before stopping. I don't like this functionality and I would rather it just respect the car and if the car stops charging, the charger just accepts it.

It sounds like your charger, which is not Emporia, behaves how I expect it should, which is similar to the included Ford charger.
My sense is that people are talking apples and oranges.

Apples:

The STOP CHARGING button in the FordPass app is NOT a STOP CHARGING BUTTON. It PAUSES charging, for a period, then resumes whenever the hell it wants to (as long as it's within your set charging hours). If you want to STOP charging before your charging limit is reached, you need to either set the limit lower, or unplug.

Charging to the set 85%, then charging to 100% (because someone hits CHARGE TO 100%), and then being done is exactly as it should work.

Oranges:

Vehicle has not reach it's limit, and stops charging on its own, within the charging hours. Then it starts again.

Am I not understanding?

It seems like the Emporia issue is the car reaches its set charging limit, stops taking power, yet the Emporia charger keeps trying and trying. That isn't correct performance, no. It should not try to charge when the vehicle is not asking.

Homestead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach-E, F-350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Sounds like the app thinks you hit resume and you stopped the charging.

Homestead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach-E, F-350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
My sense is that people are talking apples and oranges.

Apples:

The STOP CHARGING button in the FordPass app is NOT a STOP CHARGING BUTTON. It PAUSES charging, for a period, then resumes whenever the hell it wants to (as long as it's within your set charging hours). If you want to STOP charging before your charging limit is reached, you need to either set the limit lower, or unplug.

Charging to the set 85%, then charging to 100% (because someone hits CHARGE TO 100%), and then being done is exactly as it should work.
Not quite what happened. My normal set charge is 80%. I hit charge to 100% when it started to charge to 80% and later hit stop charging when it got to 85%. It paused all night then in the morning I hit charge to 100% again and it finished charging to 100%

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not quite what happened. My normal set charge is 80%. I hit charge to 100% when it started to charge to 80% and later hit stop charging when it got to 85%. It paused all night then in the morning I hit charge to 100% again and it finished charging to 100%
So yours did not restart overnight because the limit of 80% was reached, you were at 85%. The 100% limit was erased when you hit Stop Charging.

Apples and Oranges.

Homestead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach-E, F-350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
So yours did not restart overnight because the limit of 80% was reached, you were at 85%. The 100% limit was erased when you hit Stop Charging.
That seems right but If I stopped it before it hit 80% I wouldn't have expected it to resume since I stopped charging. I can test this tonight and see what happens.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That seems right but If I stopped it before it hit 80% I wouldn't have expected it to resume since I stopped charging. I can test this tonight and see what happens.
THAT is where you are incorrect. It WILL restart, whenever it decides to, and then stop at 80%. It's just a matter of WHEN. STOP is not STOP, it's PAUSE FOR A WHILE.

OP
OP

SeeManRun

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Ford F150
Occupation
Software
Country flag
THAT is where you are incorrect. It WILL restart, whenever it decides to, and then stop at 80%. It's just a matter of WHEN. STOP is not STOP, it's PAUSE FOR A WHILE.
I used to use the stop charging and it would definitely "pause" at least overnight, if not a day or so. I did find that it would eventually start charging again, perhaps when the car 12v battery started to drain and it would check if there was a charger and it would start charging since it was below the limit, I am not sure.

But if @Homestead can test the behaviour of his non Emporia charger and confirm that hitting stop when below the currently set charge limit, the car will not restart, I believe that supports my claim the Emporia charger is behaving badly by tricking the car into believing it has disconnected and reconnected and thus starting a brand new charge cycle which then ignores the previous stop charge command.
Sponsored