billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
I have a California Route 1 in Shadow Black. I wash it every weekend, but within a day or two of washing, the car looks dirty, with smudges and spots from rain and dirt. I know black car paint is famous for getting dirty easily, but this happens even on the glass windshields.

Anyone else experiencing this, or have any tips on how to avoid/fix this? I wash the car manually at home because I'm afraid of automatic car washes damaging the clearcoat, and I don't really have time to do more than one wash a week.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have a California Route 1 in Shadow Black. I wash it every weekend, but within a day or two of washing, the car looks dirty, with smudges and spots from rain and dirt. I know black car paint is famous for getting dirty easily, but this happens even on the glass windshields.

Anyone else experiencing this, or have any tips on how to avoid/fix this? I wash the car manually at home because I'm afraid of automatic car washes damaging the clearcoat, and I don't really have time to do more than one wash a week.
I learned today that parking under a tree for shade gets my car really dirty really fast.
Not tree sap thankfully......bird poop. ?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I've noticed that the sightline from the front seats gives the impression that its dirty. You are looking across the hood at such a low angle that any amount of dirt on there makes it look really covered in dirt. Then you get out and look directly at it and it looks clean LOL.

I've probably washed it more than I should due to that.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
After the layer of dirt gets thick enough you do not notice day to day imperfection.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Ours seems to be just the opposite. I washed it today for the first time in over a month but it really wasn’t all that dirty! I have sprayed it with a ceramic detailer And we avoid parking under trees!!

Olds442

First Name
Olds
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT, '22 Premium Ex AWD
Occupation
sales
Country flag
Get your car ceramic coated.
this.

you have a black car, it's not an MME issue, it's a black car issue. ceramic coating will help but you'll always have to deal with it getting dirty quick. it's just a black car reality.

the best dirt hiding color is Silver/DGM, for the lurkers out there.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Hmm. The canopy of a large maple tree covers most of my driveway. Sounds like that might be the culprit….
Many will say get professional ceramic coating, and that is a fine solution. But, I’ve used this to great effect and it works the same. I’m not kidding. I didn’t believe it either until my son used it on his black WRX.

Follow instructions for doing 2 coats and it’ll last you about 6 months if you park outside all of the time, a year if you garage it. So easy and cheap that there is no downside to trying it out if you’re skeptical.

https://www.turtlewax.com/products/hybrid-solutions-ceramic-wax-spray-coating-16-fl-oz

Olds442

First Name
Olds
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT, '22 Premium Ex AWD
Occupation
sales
Country flag
one thing that i use, and i do highly recommend it to everyone regardless of whether your car is coated, is this specific car wash solution.

i watched this video and was eager to try it.

this ceramic soap will do wonders. use this before deciding on a ceramic coating. it's that good at getting the water to bead and keeps your side windows clear.

ceramic coatings are great, and i do recommend doing them to keep a car clean(er). but i took my old FX and washed it with this and it renewed a bead finish some 11 years later.

i do not work for, and am in no way affiliated with armor all companies in any way, shape, or form. but i do think this soap is great. it's $11 at wally world, try it.

OP
OP
billy_at

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
this.

you have a black car, it's not an MME issue, it's a black car issue. ceramic coating will help but you'll always have to deal with it getting dirty quick. it's just a black car reality.

the best dirt hiding color is Silver/DGM, for the lurkers out there.
It’s partially the black color, but like I said, my windshield has the same problems.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I too have black. I got mine ceramic coated. It may make it easier to wash, but doesn’t change the fact that the dirt, dust, bugs, and water streaks are impossible to not see. Black cars take a lot of work, or a lot of not caring.
Sponsored