First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
Hey guy's,

I just wanted to share my experiences with my recent long weekend (Canada day) family road trip. I live in Toronto and took the family on a trip to Blue Mountain this weekend in Collingwood, Ontario. I had the car fully loaded with 2 soft coolers in the front, a very large suit case in the rear with several other bags, as well as my wife and 2 children.

On the way up there we are rising in elevation by aproximately 400 meters, temps this weekend we're around 25c, and we keep the AC in Auto set at 22c. The trip there from my place we are looking at aproximately 140km and about a 2 hour drive.

We did a whole bunch of driving around town and surrounding areas while up there, and we got our first flat tire. So I used the emergency tire repair kit that comes with the car and was able to temporarily stop the leak until we could find a place in town to permanently patch our tire. Luckily we came across a shop that was nice enough to drop what they were doing, and rescue our weekend. Shout out to Lakeside Auto in Collingwood!!! They guy who helped us out asked me for $25 for the tire repair, and I graciously paid him $100 for helping us out. With that said I would have been pretty screwed if they didn't help us, as we were about 40 min from our resort hotel, and nearly 2 hours away from home, on a long weekend mind you! So I was incredibly thankful we found someone to help us out. My next stop after that was immediately to a Canadian Tire where I bought a couple bottles of emergency tire repair goop, since the stuff in our emergency repair kit was now used up.

In total we did about 540km of driving for this trip and I averaged 5.6km/kwh which gave me an effective range of 492km or 306 miles on our Premium 4x MME.

I should also mention that on the way up there I was using stock tire inflation recommendation of 39 PSI (cold), and after we got the flat I increased the pressure on all tires to 43 PSI (cold) on all tires.

On the way back after about 100km of driving i stopped for a bite to eat and checked the stats. We were averaging 6.3km/Kwh which have us an effective range of 554km or 344 miles! Of course the route back was far more efficient since we came down in elevation quite significantly, and the increase in tire pressure likely helped as well.

I'm so extremely pleased with the performance of my MME 4X as a family hauler for road tripping! It's got all the room we need, and the range to boot, not to mention the fact that I was LITERALLY stopped about 5 times by strangers complimenting me on the vehicle and wanting to ask questions!

20210704_164326.jpg

20210704_164341.jpg

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Infiniti QX50, 21 MME SR RWD
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
Sounds like a great trip. Interesting dichotomy that you use metric for everything but tire pressure. ?

OP
OP
DaMeatMan

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm curious what precautions have you guy's taken for emergency tire repair situations besides the tire repair kit that comes with the vehicle?

That flat tire experience while far from home with family in tow made me pretty anxious about not having a real spare tire in the car. I'm a bit of a control freak and I absolutely hate being reliant on others for anything, especially my own well being and safety. So it kind of bugs me that new cars these days (or at least EV's) don't come with a spare tire you can change yourself. I would have preferred they provided the space for it, and the user can then remove it if they wanted to maintain max efficiency and lower weight.

Goop is a good stop gap measure, but was barely able to cope with my tire damage since it was more of a slice with a sharp rock caught in between treads rather than a round puncture with a nail or something in it. Goop and those DIY patch kits (the kind where you enlarge and clean out the hole and shove a glue covered rubber material in the puncture to seal things up seem OK for temporary fixes. But I'm just imagining the same scenario where I could not find a tire repair place, and was more than an hour away from home with my family in the car, and that's got me looking for alternative solutions.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Sounds like a great trip. Interesting dichotomy that you use metric for everything but tire pressure. ?
lol I saw the pictures and was like damn that's lookin good at 6.3m/kwh, was that all downhill? Then I realized it was kilometers.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
I'm curious what precautions have you guy's taken for emergency tire repair situations besides the tire repair kit that comes with the vehicle?

That flat tire experience while far from home with family in tow made me pretty anxious about not having a real spare tire in the car. I'm a bit of a control freak and I absolutely hate being reliant on others for anything, especially my own well being and safety. So it kind of bugs me that new cars these days (or at least EV's) don't come with a spare tire you can change yourself. I would have preferred they provided the space for it, and the user can then remove it if they wanted to maintain max efficiency and lower weight.

Goop is a good stop gap measure, but was barely able to cope with my tire damage since it was more of a slice with a sharp rock caught in between treads rather than a round puncture with a nail or something in it. Goop and those DIY patch kits (the kind where you enlarge and clean out the hole and shove a glue covered rubber material in the puncture to seal things up seem OK for temporary fixes. But I'm just imagining the same scenario where I could not find a tire repair place, and was more than an hour away from home with my family in the car, and that's got me looking for alternative solutions.
There is a post on here with a link for a company that sells a complete kit with a storage bag/case. Spare tire, jack, lug wrench, big plastic bag to put your flat in so you don't get the car dirty. It's not cheap. ~$400 if I remember correctly. Though that's a small price for peace of mind.

OP
OP
DaMeatMan

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is a post on here with a link for a company that sells a complete kit with a storage bag/case. Spare tire, jack, lug wrench, big plastic bag to put your flat in so you don't get the car dirty. It's not cheap. ~$400 if I remember correctly. Though that's a small price for peace of mind.
I just did a search and I believe you're referring to this kit?

https://www.amazon.com/2017-2018-Tesla-Complete-Spare-Carrying/dp/B07KS3VLWT

I'm wondering if this fits under the rear cargo floor while in the upper position?

Has anyone tried this? I would imagine you likely need to also remove the foam inserts (if it could fit). It kind of bugs me that manufacturers don't include one, or even plan the space for one under the cargo floor without having to take up your whole trunk.

I know spares are likely never needed, but when you do really need one, it's usually a case of getting the worst possible flat that is not DIY repairable at the worst possible time, like far out in the middle of nowhere with extreme weather or something.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
I just did a search and I believe you're referring to this kit?

https://www.amazon.com/2017-2018-Tesla-Complete-Spare-Carrying/dp/B07KS3VLWT

I'm wondering if this fits under the rear cargo floor while in the upper position?

Has anyone tried this? I would imagine you likely need to also remove the foam inserts (if it could fit). It kind of bugs me that manufacturers don't include one, or even plan the space for one under the cargo floor without having to take up your whole trunk.

I know spares are likely never needed, but when you do really need one, it's usually a case of getting the worst possible flat that is not DIY repairable at the worst possible time, like far out in the middle of nowhere with extreme weather or something.
That is the company I was referring to. This is the link that is in the forum post:
https://modernspare.com/product/2020-2021-ford-mach-e-spare-tire-kit-options/
They say they will be shipping the MME kit late next month.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag

For long trips, carry a spare.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
OP
OP
DaMeatMan

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I see 'kit' that is easily replaced by a $35.00 scissor jack, a 90.00 spare and a 12.00 lug wrench. Oh, and a used bed sheet.
Anybody unable to to hit Amazon for this stuff individually deserves to pay 400+.
You might want to watch this first.

It's actually a very well built kit that is purpose built for modern vehicles like EV's using light weight aluminum rims that are extra deep to accommodate modern over sized break calipers, and is also designed to be an identical overall height to the original tire when installed. The design also considers the added weight of an EV and is designed to drive up to 81 Mph.

That's a far cry from your normal run of the mill cheapo steel donut spare, which likely would not even have the clearance necessary to clear the MME calipers.

I'm actually going to take some measurements of the sub trunk area this week. And if there is enough clearance down there (6" depth) I will likely remove the foam inserts and add carpeting so that I can take a kit like this with me on longer family road trips for some added peace of mind. In my opinion ad a family man, that added peace of mind is well worth the initial sticker shock of this item.

To those that are interested, I had a look and they do make a kit for the Mach-E.

https://modernspare.com/product/2020-2021-ford-mach-e-spare-tire-kit-options/

Screenshot_20210705-155820_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored