My new extended AWD Mach-E's range is significantly lower than the advertised range

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Company Director
Country flag
I have just exchanged my standard AWD for an extended AWD, however I have noticed that the current vehicles range is significantly lower than the advertised range and in fact according to the trip computer the average usage is between 1.8 and 2.5 kwh when the standard vehicle was giving me up to 3.3 kwh, why is this so much lower, when I am not doing anything different to before. Your comments would be appreciated.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
How long did you have your standard AWD? Those consumption numbers sound about right for colder weather.

OP
OP
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Company Director
Country flag
How long did you have your standard AWD? Those consumption numbers sound about right for colder weather.
I had the standard AWD from June 21 through to November 22, so had use of the car during the colder months, and did not see the range effected too much, not like I am seeing on the extended range version at the moment, and it's not even that cold at the moment.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I had the standard AWD from June 21 through to November 22, so had use of the car during the colder months, and did not see the range effected too much, not like I am seeing on the extended range version at the moment, and it's not even that cold at the moment.
First, getting between 1.8 and 2.5 is a pretty wide range.

Second, you can't compare the cumulative miles per kilowatt on a vehicle owned in the summer with a vehicle that just started tracking this week. The current vehicle's GOM is adjusting to your driving and the temperatures. Had you reset the GOM on the SR, and driven it for a day or so, it would also have adjusted down.

As to temps, 50 degrees F is cold to the battery. 30 degrees F is very cold. 10 F is frigid. It wants low 70s.

RedRocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT
Country flag
Reset your trip energy incase you had a bad start, but in general winter is here now and range is greatly effected by even cool temps and climate usage.

stevec73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
OP is talking about indicated mi/kWh. Forget about the GOM. It's silly, and very stubborn. Even in 30-degree (F) weather, I can eke out 3.5+ mi/kWh, sometimes higher, by favoring local roads, driving at or slightly above the speed limit, accelerating judiciously, etc., but the GOM stays pessimistic based on the temperature. I'll even charge and FordPass says that I added 121 miles with 30 kWh of charge, but the GOM says 250 miles of range at 90%. The math never adds up. Those stating the simple fact that it's COLD are correct. Maybe OP shouldn't do exactly the same, but try being gentler than usual to see if that bears fruit.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
OP is talking about indicated mi/kWh. Forget about the GOM. It's silly, and very stubborn. Even in 30-degree (F) weather, I can eke out 3.5+ mi/kWh, sometimes higher, by favoring local roads, driving at or slightly above the speed limit, accelerating judiciously, etc., but the GOM stays pessimistic based on the temperature. I'll even charge and FordPass says that I added 121 miles with 30 kWh of charge, but the GOM says 250 miles of range at 90%. The math never adds up. Those stating the simple fact that it's COLD are correct. Maybe OP shouldn't do exactly the same, but try being gentler than usual to see if that bears fruit.
Lol in my GT in 30 degree weather I'm lucky to see above 2.5mi/kWh..... Granted I don't drive like a grandma and always take the fastest route.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Lol in my GT in 30 degree weather I'm lucky to see above 2.5mi/kWh..... Granted I don't drive like a grandma and always take the fastest route.
I got about that in 25F weather driving like a grandma because I didnā€™t want to damage my tires. šŸ¤ŖšŸ©

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
I have just exchanged my standard AWD for an extended AWD, however I have noticed that the current vehicles range is significantly lower than the advertised range and in fact according to the trip computer the average usage is between 1.8 and 2.5 kwh when the standard vehicle was giving me up to 3.3 kwh, why is this so much lower, when I am not doing anything different to before. Your comments would be appreciated.
The heavier ER battery will give you a lower mi/KWh right off the bat.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Going 75mph in 15Āŗ weather I got 2.0mi/kWh....
Ouch. I was getting 2.2-2.4 at 35mph (or less) in 25F with snow through mountains. The snow froze my front sensors so I couldnā€™t use ACC. It got better after the temperature increased past 57F. šŸ¤ŖšŸ©

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Thatā€™s absolutely incredible. In 30s I never average more than 2 miles per kWh and itā€™s usually closer to 1.7 miles per kWh. And thatā€™s driving relatively conservatively. I donā€™t precondition at all though - do you? Heck, I canā€™t average 3.5 miles per kWh in perfect weather.
Sponsored