My new extended AWD Mach-E's range is significantly lower than the advertised range

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Any automaker incorporating a diesel heater into any EV would be idiotic. Really ridiculous idea in my opinion.

Some people don't have the use case to justify owning an EV. They should not buy one.
Sponsored

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
You’ve almost basically described a hybrid. Get one.
I have one, and a brain too which is why I put forth a logical solution for those who wish to utilize the benefits of EVs while addressing the gaping hole in their capability.

Range extenders are coming; and while none of what I said is a range extender, it is a good band aid for physics, a real bitch when it comes to EVs and cold climate -- something we're going to be seeing a whole lot more of. Granted you could just employ a whole lot more little children in Africa to acquire enough cobalt to mitigate the issue. I know for some it's a tough choice -- child labor vs a really practical solution to the gaping hole batteries have.

The exhaust heat scavenger in my hybrid is part of what'd make it very practical. See if you're using an ICE as a heat source, its efficiency climbs substantially -- easily approaching 90% of the heater itself. When its sole reason for running is its heat, the rotational side effects are just a net positive. We're talking a ~100cc sized engine, something that's smaller than a push mower's.

Do the math -- if a car can get 3 miles per kWh saved, at 6kWh heater draw, that's 18 miles on 1/4 gal of fuel. Even more if the battery's output is 10-15% higher from being warm. Those are pretty substantial mileage gains. We're talking up to 80 MPG which isn't too far off from the MPGe of the vehicle itself.

Last edited:

Womps

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E & 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Super
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I read this article this morning. Can’t download it for some reason but it’s in carscoops.com.

F14F8E1A-A924-4867-A02D-CA9B3BFACB21.png
Sponsored