My one and only pet peeve

Jako607

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt
Country flag
I absolutely love my Mach-E but just this one thing...every time I wash, dry, or even touch up the exterior door panels (which is a lot cuz they're stupid gloss black), all the doors lock because of the touch sensitive locking feature. I like it for normal use case when needed, but also HATE it when I'm cleaning the car ?. Makes me nuts! Once available I'm gonna buy the protector covers from the OCDPlug where I got the infotainment screen protector so I don't need to clean it as much, but I'm sure it'll still happen when I'm doing regular cleaning. Definitely happy this is the only thing I have to complain about but boy does it get my goat!
Sponsored

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I can’t seem to get my car to lock from the outside. Is there a setting. I’ve looked but don’t see one.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I absolutely love my Mach-E but just this one thing...every time I wash, dry, or even touch up the exterior door panels (which is a lot cuz they're stupid gloss black), all the doors lock because of the touch sensitive locking feature. I like it for normal use case when needed, but also HATE it when I'm cleaning the car ?. Makes me nuts! Once available I'm gonna buy the protector covers from the OCDPlug where I got the infotainment screen protector so I don't need to clean it as much, but I'm sure it'll still happen when I'm doing regular cleaning. Definitely happy this is the only thing I have to complain about but boy does it get my goat!
To be fair - I've had this issue with any touch-sensitive locking cars I've had. My i3 will do the same. So I've always made it a habit to make sure my phone/keyfob are stored in the garage while washing.

I can’t seem to get my car to lock from the outside. Is there a setting. I’ve looked but don’t see one.
Touch and hold the bottom two number combos on the keypad on the door to lock. You can theoretically hold the little lock icon below them, but I find that one is more finicky.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Touch and hold the bottom two number combos on the keypad on the door to lock. You can theoretically hold the little lock icon below them, but I find that one is more finicky.
I’ve tried the little lock Icon. And I’ve tried touching the 7/8 and 9/0 at the same time. I can’t seem to make that work on either car. I’ll try again though.
Sometimes I just don’t trust the “walk away” lock.
Thank You.

ComputeAllTheThings

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (Premium AWD ER)
Country flag
Does it make a difference if you have the key? Need to test setting my PaaK or fob far away, then coming back and trying to lock from the outside. During the first week, before I disabled PaaK, I remember having problems with the lock buttons, and got in the habit of just hitting the interior lock button as I was closing the door. After I started carrying the fob, I found that the outside locks worked very consistently.

ComputeAllTheThings

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (Premium AWD ER)
Country flag
Assuming the key has to be nearby, it might be worthwhile to buy a faraday pouch, so that you can block the signal and still keep the key in your pocket. Something like that could be handy at a self-service spray booth?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I’ve tried the little lock Icon. And I’ve tried touching the 7/8 and 9/0 at the same time. I can’t seem to make that work on either car. I’ll try again though.
Sometimes I just don’t trust the “walk away” lock.
Thank You.
Others have reported similar issues with external locking that were fixed with one of the module updates that are available through the dealer.

Does it make a difference if you have the key?
To use the touch-sensitive lock icon, you need to have the key or PaaK on you. Pressing 7/8 and 9/0 to lock does not require a key.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Others have reported similar issues with external locking that were fixed with one of the module updates that are available through the dealer.
Ty for letting me know. (Seriously)
I’ll have to have the dealer check it when I go in for my 3000 mile oil change. (Not seriously)

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have a Volvo S90 and it does that as well when I was it locks and unlocks the car multiple times in my case the rearview mirrors go in and out all the time too.

DK922

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
Just keep the fob away from the car..

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
For those having trouble here are a couple of tips that work for me:

Lock symbol: for me it usually doesn't work if I just tap it.. for some reason it likes it better if I side my finger across it. As stated above it only works if you have your key on your person outside of the car

Combo lock: push and hold the two bottom buttons. Works regardless of keys, especially useful for when you wanna lock your key inside the car

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
We turned off walkaway locking as it is not wife approved. Me and the little touch sensitive locks do a delicate dance multiple times a day. Sometimes swiping is better, sometimes a tap, sometimes right on the lock symbol, sometimes below it. Back doors seem to work better then front.

But yes, go to wash the car and it is all about locking. I need to just carry a little spray bottle with me.
Sponsored