Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Mark,
Is there a specific direction the release cable needs to be pulled (i.e. up vs. toward passenger side)? If one was to create a hole above the cable in the panel, could the cable be pulled upward through it to release the connector lock?

Thinking of this in the same way as drilling holes for LV battery terminal access.......
It’s pretty much straight up. You can feed the ripcord up through the existing slot and tape it in place. I just added this picture to the post.
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Travels With Marlin (GB FE) 3D9303EB-9FFB-417F-8683-2A4071EA0133
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
There really should be a way to do that without pulling the ripcord.
Agreed. I've never had this issue on the Leaf as the locking feature is optional and I've only engaged it a couple of times to test it. I think it would be a better design for the lock to be optional and you can engage it if you wish to.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Agreed. I've never had this issue on the Leaf as the locking feature is optional and I've only engaged it a couple of times to test it. I think it would be a better design for the lock to be optional and you can engage it if you wish to.
I don’t think the lock is supposed to engage with L2 chargers. I wonder what was different about that Sema charger that made it engage.

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
I don’t think the lock is supposed to engage with L2 chargers. I wonder what was different about that Sema charger that made it engage.
Even a L2 charger can delivery serious amps and you don't want to pull the plug while current flows, you would get a serious spark.

My previous car a Renault Zoe and current e-Golf both lock the cable to prevent this....

Reactions: ARK

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
Right, but the Mach-E doesn’t. Except for this time, when it did.
Ok....so I can charge with 3 phase 11 kW and pull the plug without first stopping charging? I would be surprised this if is legal in the EU. :oops:

Also someone could use the cable to charge his car on mine account?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok....so I can charge with 3 phase 11 kW and pull the plug without first stopping charging? I would be surprised this if is legal in the EU. :oops:
Sorry, I have no idea how it works in Europe. In the US, the current stops when you press the latch at the top of the plug.

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Travels With Marlin (GB FE) 658C1806-36CD-433F-AF8A-625ED18F83A5

Ok this is the standard plug, no buttons on this, that explains a lot...

Reactions: ARK

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
That button is the normal release for DCFC. The emergency release is for when that button doesn’t work.
If the charge is done you can just pull the plug. The only time you need to push the button is it it gets a failed charge in the middle of a session. If the session ends correctly just pull the plug

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There really should be a way to do that without pulling the ripcord.
I like a physical ripcord because it's important when the electronics aren't working. Like the LOCK button next to the charge port.

But... they need to fix those frunk panels for easy driver access. They need snap-in access doors. Like the ones closer to the front of the frunk that don't seem to access a damn thing.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If the charge is done you can just pull the plug. The only time you need to push the button is it it gets a failed charge in the middle of a session. If the session ends correctly just pull the plug
You can also use the button to stop an active charging session from the car side. But that’s not the emergency release. The emergency release is used when the button doesn’t work to unlock it. That’s what Mark had to do. Why it was locked in the first place for a L2 charge is a whole different question.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
You can also use the button to stop an active charging session from the car side. But that’s not the emergency release. The emergency release is used when the button doesn’t work to unlock it. That’s what Mark had to do. Why it was locked in the first place for a L2 charge is a whole different question.
Got it. Then I have no idea where the emergency lock is

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mark shows us where the emergency release is here:

First time I have to pull those frunk covers off (hopefully never), I'm drilling a 1/2" hole and feeding that pull cord through.
Sponsored