Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Also posted in a new thread about Paak requiring cell service:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/paak-seems-to-require-cellular-service.4231/

Lots of folks on the Forum are indicating that PaaK isn’t ready for prime time. While many folks have indicated they were giving up on it. I’ve gone all-in on Paak and normally leave my fob at home. For this trip to Florida I brought the fob but carried it in the glove compartment wrapped in two faraday bags so Marlin wouldn’t “see” it. Once we got here to Marco I left it in the condo in a suitcase. That means when the 5 March Everglades incidents cropped up, I had no fob to fall back on. It’s now back in the glove box due to the Everglades Incidents below.

General issues:
Sometimes Marlin sees the phone, sometimes he doesn’t. My iPhone 12Pro may be working better for recognition to unlock than my wife’s iPhone 7. However, that may just be because I'm driving most of the time. Unlocking the driver’s door is the most reliable, lift gate second, passenger door the least. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if PaaK is working on the passenger door at all. Often we’ll have to wake up the phone and start or activate the app to get it to work. Sometimes we have to press unlock on the app. Sometimes we have to resort to the key pad to open the car. The phone really needs to be sitting on the charging pad to start the car. Starting almost never works with the phone in a back pocket. Walk-away lock has become unreliable, too. It often works great — probably most of the time. Sometimes it doesn’t. That’s not reliable for locking a vehicle in a city.

The Everglades Incidents:
PaaK failed miserably and consistently when there was no cell coverage. Many parts of the Everglades have absolutely no cell signal. This is true of many big National Parks. First, PaaK wouldn’t work at all at the Shark Valley Visitor Center. It would neither open the doors, nor start the car, even if the phone was connected to the USB. The app would not start on the phone since it couldn’t connect to the mothership (won't get past the first Ford splash screen). We had to use the door and start backup codes. Once in Miami for the charge at the Miami International Mall PaaK was working fine. Then we entered the Park through the main entrance. Once a short distance past the Visitor Center, we had no cell signal again. The rest of the day in Everglades National Park, PaaK would not open doors or start the car. Every hike, every boardwalk, etc., we had to use the door and start codes. If I left Marlin on and got out to the pictures, the security system would require a key to put the car into drive. Since the PaaK wasn’t working, that meant waiting for a minute for the passcode prompt to appear and then entering the start code again -- every, single time.

If you're going to be out of cell phone coverage, I recommend you have your fob with you as a backup.
Sponsored

HRT_Florida913

First Name
Reinhard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Metallic MME, PR ER AWD, Mar 30, 21
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you're going to be out of cell phone coverage, I recommend you have your fob with you as a backup.
I think I will just be using the fob, period. Not having to fool around with PAAK seems to be the right call, at least until it works reliably.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I think I will just be using the fob, period. Not having to fool around with PAAK seems to be the right call, at least until it works reliably.
Do you have your car yet? I'll be at the Ft. Myers Brewery with mine on Wednesday afternoon.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
wait, who is Robert? why doesn't this say "Mark"? what a ripoff!
? ?
Robert is Here is a fruit stand between Homestead and the entrance to the Everglades. It is a must-stop for their tropical fruit shakes and smoothies.

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
Agree. I don’t see the benefit of Paak with all the issues. Has to be 100% for me, as good as a fob, otherwise not even worth 10 seconds of setting up.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Agree. I don’t see the benefit of Paak with all the issues. Has to be 100% for me, as good as a fob, otherwise not even worth 10 seconds of setting up.
I have a 2nd fob coming and have turned off PAAK altogether. Unfortunately, I may have to turn it back on, as it appears it's required in order to set up a 10-digit backup start code. I like having the extra "just in case" of a start code.

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
I have a 2nd fob coming and have turned off PAAK altogether. Unfortunately, I may have to turn it back on, as it appears it's required in order to set up a 10-digit backup start code. I like having the extra "just in case" of a start code.
Can u set up the code, turn off paak, and then use the code?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Can u set up the code, turn off paak, and then use the code?
That's a thought. Haven't tried that. I just left PAAK off ever since I did a master reset of everything a week ago.

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
Also posted in a new thread about Paak requiring cell service:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/paak-seems-to-require-cellular-service.4231/

General issues:
Sometimes Marlin sees the phone, sometimes he doesn’t. My iPhone 12Pro may be working better for recognition to unlock than my wife’s iPhone 7. However, that may just be because I'm driving most of the time. Unlocking the driver’s door is the most reliable, lift gate second, passenger door the least. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if PaaK is working on the passenger door at all. Often we’ll have to wake up the phone and start or activate the app to get it to work. Sometimes we have to press unlock on the app. Sometimes we have to resort to the key pad to open the car.
For unlocking the passenger door, do you have the door unlock setting set to unlock just the drivers door or all doors? I'm wondering if that is the reason PaaK is not unlocking the passenger door.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
For unlocking the passenger door, do you have the door unlock setting set to unlock just the drivers door or all doors? I'm wondering if that is the reason PaaK is not unlocking the passenger door.
It was on all. I'll have to check to see if it still is.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
First time I have to pull those frunk covers off (hopefully never), I'm drilling a 1/2" hole and feeding that pull cord through.
Did you ever find out the replacement part numbers for the clips? Appears to be something I should get a pack to keep on hand.

buffasnow

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE, 85 Mustang GT (pasturized)
Country flag
This. Give me two fobs, then make PAAK so reliable and compelling that I prefer to leave my fob behind. At that point, start giving out one fob with each car.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I found the unlock all our driver door option in the remote-open but where in the myriad menus did you find that option for PaaK/fob?
Sponsored