Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Definitely glad the damage was primarily cosmetic. Hope you are both doing OK.

That said, to your point, definitely not the most ideal route to getting a no-plate front bumper. Hopefully you still have your Craig's bracket. :)
I do still have the bracket!
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Poor Marlin. It's a shame it didn't hit the mustang on the front center. You could have had it replaced with a GT "grill".
That could be an option. The main nose piece that includes the pony was damaged on the left side. I doubt if the insurance company would cover an "upgrade", though.

Rafgar

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE
Country flag
That could be an option. The main nose piece that includes the pony was damaged on the left side. I doubt if the insurance company would cover an "upgrade", though.
Sorry to hear and see of this issue, buy glad nobody was hurt.
Definitely ask about the price difference to use the GT front. That would be an awesome upgrade.

HRT_Florida913

First Name
Reinhard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Metallic MME, PR ER AWD, Mar 30, 21
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thank God you both are okay! Like my mom always said: Everything else can be fixed. But it hurts to just look at those pictures. I imagine you both also got a real scare when it happened. Full nine yards, police and so on? I hope you do not have to wait long for the parts and Marlin can be repaired quickly.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Sorry to hear and see of this issue, buy glad nobody was hurt.
Definitely ask about the price difference to use the GT front. That would be an awesome upgrade.
I love the GT front end but not sure I want to turn my First Edition into a Frankenstang.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Thank God you both are okay! Like my mom always said: Everything else can be fixed. But it hurts to just look at those pictures. I imagine you both also got a real scare when it happened. Full nine yards, police and so on? I hope you do not have to wait long for the parts and Marlin can be repaired quickly.
No police or anything. Retread smacked into front end and that was that. No need to call police for something they don't need to deal with. However, I should have reported that retread that was now in the roadway -- too shaken to think about that.

Yeah, I figure waiting for parts will be the biggest issue.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Marlin got up early this morning to visit the Washington, DC cherry blossoms in peak bloom.
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Travels With Marlin (GB FE) IMG_8177
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Travels With Marlin (GB FE) IMG_8211
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Travels With Marlin (GB FE) IMG_8201
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Travels With Marlin (GB FE) IMG_8233

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Poor Marlin. It's a shame it didn't hit the mustang on the front center. You could have had it replaced with a GT "grill".
The all blue nose has definitely grown on me. You can't get these shots on faux-carbon overlays:
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Travels With Marlin (GB FE) IMG_8201
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Travels With Marlin (GB FE) IMG_7431

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The all blue nose has definitely grown on me. You can't get these shots on faux-carbon overlays:
I have to admit, the "clown nose" moniker I used previously seems off-the-mark now. The non-GT front has very much grown on me and is vastly superior to the Tesla "catfish face."

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Some post-trip recaps on Marlin. I'll update with information on return trip charging soon.

The Analytics Token and USB ports:
Ford's South Florida regional team got me set up with a S. Florida Field Service Engineer (FSE) who met me at Tamiami Ford in Naples and got the advanced analytics token installed and working again. Unfortunately, something in that installation session seems to have done a number on my front USB ports. The USB-A and USB-C ports under the Center Screen are reporting errors and will not power devices. The wireless charging pad is still working (when the phone stays in the right place) and the two power-only USBs (A &C) behind the armrest/console are still working. Good news is I was able to report this issue via the advanced analytics package.

Since returning home I've been in touch with my DC-area FSE and we've tested doing a Sync 4A soft reset and a full master reset. Unfortunately, neither of those solved this problem. There may have been some incompatibility between the hardware used to reinstall the token and the Mach E USB hub. It looks like they will order a new USB hub to install when I take Marlin in for the BCM issue (Fob/PaaK below).

Fob/PaaK Operation:
I was and still am using PaaK exclusively. I did take the fob with me to FL (double-wrapped in a pair of Faraday bags EZ-Pass devices came in). I think sometimes the fob was detected, causing irregular behavior. It did better when I left it in the condo and now that we are home and the fob is in the house far from Marlin.

Now that I am home from my trip and have diagnosed the issue more carefully, I have the same problem with the front passenger door. Using either the fob or my phone (with FordPass open), I get the same results. I can approach either door on the driver’s side, the lift gate, or the rear passenger door, press the button and that door opens. However, if I approach the front passenger door with fob or phone and press the open button, it does not open the door and the circle inside the button doesn’t light up — however, I do hear some sounds in the door. If I press any other door button, Marlin wakes up, the door opener buttons light up, the doors unlock, and the front passenger door button works fine. If I wave my foot under the lift gate, Marlin wakes up and the door button lights all come on but the passenger door still won’t open until another door button has been pressed.

The DC area FSE thinks this may be part of the SSM 49676 issue
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...-door-activation-switch-not-lighting-up.4576/
They believe the solution will be to reprogram the Body Control Module (BCM).

ICC/Speed Detection:
The camera often picked up slower speeds on ramps, local lanes, or frontage roads. At first it was a real shock when we started rapidly slowing from 79 to 49 upon the camera seeing a 45 sign. We got used to being ready for this at ramps and along local lanes. The issue seems to occur when the lane sign is on the left of the local lane between the local lane and my lane. Also had one incident on FL State Road 84 where it saw and 84 sign and suddenly accelerated! That only happened once.

Mach E4X insignia:
Like some other folks, the glue isn’t holding well. My driver’s side insignia is fine so far but the black line underneath is not attached. I’ve been very careful when hand washing and drying. Koons has ordered a new one.

Body Repairs:
Just dropped Marlin off at Maryland Collision Center (the shop Koons Ford works with closely). As of late last week they already had received all the parts except the new front battery vent louvres and those were supposed to have been shipped already. Fingers crossed there won't be any delays due to other parts availabilities.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Charging Sessions:
In summary, DCFC charging when using the EA app to start sessions usually worked fine. A couple of times EA had to reboot the chargers. Once we got Plug & Charge working, it worked almost as well but with a few mid-session station faults. Those worked fine after restarting the session.

Plug & Charge wasn’t working at the start of the trip but with Cole’s help it worked once I reached Florida. I did have some failures in the middle of Plug & Charge sessions, similar to those Kyle Connor reported. Everything else was working but charging suddenly quit with a station fault error. Typically, charging using P&C then worked when I plugged back in and I even got the initial boost to 155kW (on 350kW stations) or around 135kW on 150kW stations. I quickly burned through the 250kW while in FL before heading back north.

Here’s a summary of my charge sessions:
27 February Columbia MD EA, P&C failed, used EA app
28 February Emporia VA EA, P&C failed, used EA app
28 February Raleigh NC Level 2 near hotel
1 March Florence SC EA, P&C failed, used EA app
1 March Puller GA EA, P&C failed, used EA app
1 March Kingsland GA Chargepoint, used RFID card
1 March Ocala FL, Level 2 at hotel
2 March email from Cole indicates P&C now should be working
2 March Port Charlotte FL EA, P&C worked fine
2 March Naples FL EA, P&C worked fine
5 March failed Level 2 charge on SemaConnect system in Shark River Visitor Center of Everglades National Park, connector locked in and couldn’t get it released (no cell signal, Mach E charge button wouldn’t work, release on handle wouldn’t work, PaaK failing to open/start car so used backup codes, removed panels to access emergency release at which point charger came free) see https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/my-travels-with-marlin-gb-fe-delivered.3298/post-126280 for more details
5 March Miami International Mall EA, P&C failed, EA app failed, EA restarted chargers, finally worked using EA app
5 March Miami International Mall EA, didn’t try P&C, worked using EA app
6 March Naples FL EA, P&C worked fine to start session but had multiple failures — probably EA problems, finally worked after EA reset both 350kW chargers and I hopped back and forth.
10 March Naples FL EA, P&C worked fine to start session but only charging at 30kW. Ended and restarted session and got 110kW
10 March Naples FL EA, P&C worked fine to start session but abruptly ended after a few kWh. Tried again with P&C and worked fine.
15 Naples FL EA, P&C worked fine to start session but wouldn’t go above 30kW. Switched to a 150kW charger and worked until it faulted out when charging handle was hot to the touch. Switched to the second cable on that charger and worked fine.

That killed my 250kWh of free charging so I switched to using the EA app so I could get my cheaper Pass+ rate.
Heading home, sessions were uneventful using the EA app:
22 March Naples FL EA, used EA app
22 March Port Charlotte FL EA, used EA app
22 March Gainesville FL EA, used EA app
22 March Jacksonville FL EA, used EA app
22 March Waltersboro SC Level 2 near hotel (too slow, only got 1/2 charge)
23 March Waltersboro SC EA, used EA app
23 March Florence SC — after accident missed our exit with only 3 miles to spare, hit a Tesla Destination Charger (using TeslaTap) to add a few miles while taping up bumper
23 March Florence SC EA, used EA app
23 March Smithfield NC Level 2 at hotel
24 March Richmond VA EA, used EA app

Videos and notes of the charging sessions going down and in FL are at:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/my-travels-with-marlin-gb-fe-delivered.3298/post-126280
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/my-travels-with-marlin-gb-fe-delivered.3298/post-129560
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/my-travels-with-marlin-gb-fe-delivered.3298/post-133460

I have a couple more charging session videos from the return trip to put together and post.

Last edited:

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I am curious about the plug and charge failure rate. I have had a 100% success rate at three different EA charging locations with my Seattle-based FE. The only fault error occurred at the same moment I shutdown the Fordpass app during the session. I do not have the EA app installed.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I am curious about the plug and charge failure rate. I have had a 100% success rate at three different EA charging locations with my Seattle-based FE.
Note that the problem 27 Feb - 1 March were all a back-end Ford issue. Once that was resolved, it P&C failures were largely limited to a couple mid-session charger faults. Ford has been working with EA to resolve these P&C issues. You have probably been the beneficiary of these improvements.
Sponsored