Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Cool day today with the Teardrop Rally from Annapolis to Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. It was listed on the Mustang Club of Maryland FB page but only about 5 Mustangs were there, including Marlin. Lots of young, enthusiastic drivers with their hot cars. A heavily modded Tesla M3 Performance was the only other electric (owner claims it now tops at 170). Tagged close to a GB GT 5.0 driven by one of the staff for photo purposes.
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Travels With Marlin (GB FE) IMG_8414
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Travels With Marlin (GB FE) IMG_8418

Ford Mustang Mach-E My Travels With Marlin (GB FE) IMG_8421

Also was amazed how similar the MME and the Focus ST look from behind
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Travels With Marlin (GB FE) IMG_8429
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Travels With Marlin (GB FE) IMG_8430

Ford Mustang Mach-E My Travels With Marlin (GB FE) IMG_8443
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Travels With Marlin (GB FE) IMG_8466

We need more Mach Es next rally!

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
I’m out of the loop (pun intended), what is the purpose of the ripcord?
Design from the factory is such that you would have to remove two of the panels that cover the edges of the compartment that surround the cargo area of the Frunk to access. Not a huge deal as the panels just snap off and easily snap back in place, but when I had them off for another reason I took the opportunity to make the release accessible without having to remove the panels. If I ever have an issue, with my luck it would be dark and cold, so just trying to ease my future pain. We have only had a charge plug stick once in five years on our Fusion PHEV.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Design from the factory is such that you would have to remove two of the panels that cover the edges of the compartment that surround the cargo area of the Frunk to access. Not a huge deal as the panels just snap off and easily snap back in place, but when I had them off for another reason I took the opportunity to make the release accessible without having to remove the panels. If I ever have an issue, with my luck it would be dark and cold, so just trying to ease my future pain. We have only had a charge plug stick once in five years on our Fusion PHEV.
Yes but there are issues with that.
  • You want to have the tools to use for removing those panels
  • If you pull too hard you can break the panels, especially when temperatures are below freezing
  • You WILL lose some of the clips off those panels
  • To reach the battery jump points or the ripcord you have to remove both the rear and left panels

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Cool day today with the Teardrop Rally from Annapolis to Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. It was listed on the Mustang Club of Maryland FB page but only about 5 Mustangs were there, including Marlin. Lots of young, enthusiastic drivers with their hot cars. A heavily modded Tesla M3 Performance was the only other electric (owner claims it now tops at 170). Tagged close to a GB GT 5.0 driven by one of the staff for photo purposes.

Also was amazed how similar the MME and the Focus ST look from behind

We need more Mach Es next rally!
BTW, I charged Marlin to 100% the night before we left. The route was from our home in Silver Spring to Annapolis for the first meet-up, to Front Royal, Va, down Skyline Drive to the Mary's Rock tunnel (line-up photo location), to home. 270 miles. To make sure I made it home I did a 12 kWh zap & dash at an EA station along my trip home. Returned home showing 29 miles remaining, so I just barely needed the zap & dash (of course, I wouldn't have wanted to arrive home with 0 miles left).

Punchline is right about 3 mi/kWh despite lots of Interstate driving and perhaps some (ahem) harsh acceleration as the driving coach calls it.

S.B.

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Yes but there are issues with that.
  • You want to have the tools to use for removing those panels
  • If you pull too hard you can break the panels, especially when temperatures are below freezing
  • You WILL lose some of the clips off those panels
  • To reach the battery jump points or the ripcord you have to remove both the rear and left panels
I hope you all are online if this does ever happen to me in the cold and dark because I may be franticly posting for help. I would trust what you all say over any other roadside assist advice after all.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I am confused. I have had the charger lock up. All I had to do was push the center of the circle and it is an emergency release. Maybe it is to the side. Regardless it is just a simple button to push and the charge cord unlocks immediately

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I am confused. I have had the charger lock up. All I had to do was push the center of the circle and it is an emergency release. Maybe it is to the side. Regardless it is just a simple button to push and the charge cord unlocks immediately
99% of the time it'll work as designed. Of the remaining 1%, most of the time the little button you're referring to, or the screen button inside the car, will cause the charger to unlatch. For the few times that doesn't work there's ripcord style release which mechanically releases the charger plug. In Mark's case, he was at a National Park with an L2 charger that neither charged nor released. Hence his knowledge of the ripcord.

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
99% of the time it'll work as designed. Of the remaining 1%, most of the time the little button you're referring to, or the screen button inside the car, will cause the charger to unlatch. For the few times that doesn't work there's ripcord style release which mechanically releases the charger plug. In Mark's case, he was at a National Park with an L2 charger that neither charged nor released. Hence his knowledge of the ripcord.
Thanks. The thought of having to do that is scary

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
He’s baaaaaaack
I was just posting on someone else's accident thread and realized I never posted the final here:
My first estimate: $8760
My final cost (covered by insurance): $10,342

Marlin finally goes in for PPF and ceramic in two weeks. I needed to wait for the paint to cure and for Ford to take care of a couple of small remaining issues.

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Day 1: Wednesday 10 February
He's mine! Marlin is all mine (ok, and my wife's).

I went to Koons Ford this afternoon and started the inspection process. I put together an inspection list I started using (https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/delivery-pickup-checklist.3286/post-104799) and made it about 1/3 of the way through and found an item needing repair as well as ran out of time. It seems one of the holes in the bottom of the frame had been ripped out (transport hook perhaps).

Here's the ripped hole:
IMG_6617.jpeg

My biggest concern was the jagged metal hanging out. My dealer Narh had the service manager come out to check it and while I drove home to pick up my wife they cut out the offending metal:
IMG_6621.jpeg

I may file the edges a little more but it should be fine. No other problems found.
Eventually I decided to get these battery edge rails replaced. It took a while to get an intact aluminum rail in. The first couple arrived in poor shape as Ford tossed these aluminum pieces in with steel parts for shipping. The Koons parts manager figured out how to request it be shipped so the third was intact. Funny thing is when I took Marlin in to get this left rail replaced they replaced the right one instead. At first I was a bit ticked off. Then the service manager sent me a picture of the right side they replaced. While it wasn't so badly ripped out, it was bent. So, they ordered another one.

Now both of my battery guard rails are replaced. However, since the new ones both have Ford Parts stickers on them I'll need to get under Marlin with some rubbing alcohol and maybe goof-off.

Driver side
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Travels With Marlin (GB FE) 70BD5AF1-B62D-4A01-977C-FEF762EA1571

Passenger side
Ford Mustang Mach-E My Travels With Marlin (GB FE) 44F7442D-64E6-4917-A081-6F70E6EDEDB4

While Marlin was in they ran the 21B36 PaaK update. Hopefully PaaK will now work as well or better than before the update. PaaK has worked pretty well for me but not for my wife. ?

Last edited:

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
Eventually I decided to get these battery edge rails replaced. It took a while to get an intact aluminum rail in. The first couple arrived in poor shape as Ford tossed these aluminum pieces in with steel parts for shipping. The Koons parts manager figured out how to request it be shipped so the third was intact. Funny thing is when I took Marlin in to get this left rail replaced they replaced the right one instead. At first I was a bit ticked off. Then the service manager sent me a picture of the right side they replaced. While it wasn't so badly ripped out, it was bent. So, they ordered another one.

Now both of my battery guard rails are replaced. However, since the new ones both have Ford Parts stickers on them I'll need to get under Marlin with some rubbing alcohol and maybe goof-off.

Ford Mustang Mach-E My Travels With Marlin (GB FE) 44F7442D-64E6-4917-A081-6F70E6EDEDB4

While Marlin was in they ran the 21B36 PaaK update. Hopefully PaaK will now work as well or better than before the update. PaaK has worked pretty well for me but not for my wife. ?
Mark, can't see the photo's...

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation