Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Driving home on the NY Thruway (Interstate 90) when a tractor trailer blew out a tire ahead of me in the right lane. However, I didn't see it happen and as people slowed down, a tire tread (like you see happen in NASCAR races but as tall as the Mach-e) rolled out between two cars. I angled to the left so as not to hit it head on but it caught the front passenger side at about 60mph.

Still did a lot of damage.

i-2n73sk9-L.jpg

As you can see two sensors were completed knocked out of their sockets. Not sure if they are still in there as it was getting dark when I took these photos. It is drivable but at every stop the whole passenger side lights up like a Christmas tree with warning sounds. Will probably just commute it back and forth to work and stay off of highways until it goes in for repair.

Now, I did have PPF on the front as well as Ceramic Pro. Will have to get the PPF redone for sure. Sigh.
Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Does it look like the bumper cover needs to be replaced?

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Driving home on the NY Thruway (Interstate 90) when a tractor trailer blew out a tire ahead of me in the right lane. However, I didn't see it happen and as people slowed down, a tire tread (like you see happen in NASCAR races but as tall as the Mach-e) rolled out between two cars. I angled to the left so as not to hit it head on but it caught the front passenger side at about 60mph.

Still did a lot of damage.

i-2n73sk9-L.jpg

As you can see two sensors were completed knocked out of their sockets. Not sure if they are still in there as it was getting dark when I took these photos. It is drivable but at every stop the whole passenger side lights up like a Christmas tree with warning sounds. Will probably just commute it back and forth to work and stay off of highways until it goes in for repair.

Now, I did have PPF on the front as well as Ceramic Pro. Will have to get the PPF redone for sure. Sigh.
? ouch! Very glad nobody was hurt but Iā€™m so sad to see yet ANOTHER wounded Infinite Blue! We are already a rare breed as it is ?
Best of luck with the repairs! Iā€™m still waiting for the body shop to schedule me after my tail light and bumper were assaulted by a parking bollard ?
One thing that my shop told me was that they have to inspect and if any sensors are dislodged and/or if there are any radar units behind affected areas, Ford requires replacement of all body panels and sensors.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Seems like every other post today is a crashed up MME... This is a "turn" I think I'll pass on!

Sorry to hear about it :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
stmache

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag

OP
OP
stmache

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
? ouch! Very glad nobody was hurt but Iā€™m so sad to see yet ANOTHER wounded Infinite Blue! We are already a rare breed as it is ?
Best of luck with the repairs! Iā€™m still waiting for the body shop to schedule me after my tail light and bumper were assaulted by a parking bollard ?
I sure hope they can mix the paint correctly! Forgot Ford dropped it. I am aware it might be a long wait for parts.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
I sure hope they can mix the paint correctly! Forgot Ford dropped it. I am aware it might be a long wait for parts.
You should push for a GT bumper :p

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Now, there's an idea!
Some auto body shops can be accommodating. Theyā€™ll make you cover the difference of any parts and labor costs.

OP
OP
stmache

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Brought the Mach-e to the Body Shop this morning. Crossing my fingers they will not find more damage once they lift it and start removing the damaged parts. Insurance company only did an estimate from photos submitted by the shop.

Last edited:

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Brought the Mach-e to the Body Shop this morning. Crossing my fingers they will not find more damage once they lift it and start removing the damaged parts. Insurance company only did an estimate from photos submitted by the shop.
Did FordPass give you warnings about the 12v battery when they started working on it? I got a couple and Iā€™m hoping itā€™s only from them disconnecting the 12v battery to remove parts.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
So the body shop has had my Mach-E for two and a half weeks so far. They just called to say some of the parts they found they needed are still on backorder and HOPE to have them in the middle of next week. If I'm lucky, my literal 2 mile per hour rear-end accident will be up to $6400 in damages and three weeks (or more) out of service.

I thought fiberglass panels were supposed to be cheap and easy to repair. There's not even any electronics damage. The backup sensors, lights, etc. are all fine. This is the liftgate assembly and the bumper cover.

Sigh. Hope you're having better luck with yours.

OP
OP
stmache

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
So the body shop has had my Mach-E for two and a half weeks so far. They just called to say some of the parts they found they needed are still on backorder and HOPE to have them in the middle of next week. If I'm lucky, my literal 2 mile per hour rear-end accident will be up to $6400 in damages and three weeks (or more) out of service.

I thought fiberglass panels were supposed to be cheap and easy to repair. There's not even any electronics damage. The backup sensors, lights, etc. are all fine. This is the liftgate assembly and the bumper cover.

Sigh. Hope you're having better luck with yours.
Talked with the shop last week. The exterior damage has been fixed and the Mach-e was being painted. But...they found something had broke with the passenger side headlight (the side that took the hit) and that is backordered until the end of the month. I figured they would find something. The good news is the new front bumper cover will not have any holes or a bracket when I get it back.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Talked with the shop last week. The exterior damage has been fixed and the Mach-e was being painted. But...they found something had broke with the passenger side headlight (the side that took the hit) and that is backordered until the end of the month. I figured they would find something. The good news is the new front bumper cover will not have any holes or a bracket when I get it back.
Sounds very similar to my incident with almost identical damage. $12.5K. IIRC, that headlight is $2,600.
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/my-travels-with-marlin-gb-fe.3298/post-141106

It was almost a month to get repaired because every time they went to reassemble it they found another little part they had to replace.
Sponsored