My wife just returned from her Mums 90th birthday and saw this car. I looked online and couldn’t ID it, any thoughts?

Gil McC

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Shelby GT500, 20Infinity G37X, 2021 MME GT PE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E My wife just returned from her Mums 90th birthday and saw this car. I looked online and couldn’t ID it, any thoughts? IMG_4725
Sponsored

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
That's chinese polestar.... Should be banned in US

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag
Just curious - why do you think they should be banned in USA?
Not to support commi economy.....:) just kidding about banning..... but people should think before they buy that.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Tons in my neck of the woods...parent is Geely, who also own Volvo...

Polestar was / is Volvo's tuning arm, sorta kinda like AMG, but more. Volvo owned Polestar, then Geely bought Volvo and therefore owns both brands.

Polestar is still Swedish, but the cars are made in China. I would not equate them to BYD or the other "pure" Chinese car makers, but that's open for debate. Headquarters are still in Sweden, and CEO & chairman are still both Swedish.

The cars themselves are still very "Scandi"

Last edited:

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
That's chinese polestar.... Should be banned in US
I'm all for a free market, but my concern is the Chinese seem like they don't have the best of intentions. Will they put some malware or tracking devices in their software for us? I'm ok with South Korea, as they seem like they're just capitalist making a solid product. But when the state dept. starts banning Tic Toc, that does not make me want to go give President Xi $60K of my hard earned money. I am not under any allusions and understand we all have multiple Chinese products in our home. But given an obvious and conscious choice, I'm not supporting the pro Putin Xi dictatorship in China.

thekat03

First Name
Kat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach-E CR-1, 2022 Volvo C40
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
I'm all for a free market, but my concern is the Chinese seem like they don't have the best of intentions. Will they put some malware or tracking devices in their software for us? I'm ok with South Korea, as they seem like they're just capitalist making a solid product. But when the state dept. starts banning Tic Toc, that does not make me want to go give President Xi $60K of my hard earned money. I am not under any allusions and understand we all have multiple Chinese products in our home. But given an obvious and conscious choice, I'm not supporting the pro Putin Xi dictatorship in China.
Hmm... Car companies that may not have the best of intentions...
https://insideevs.com/news/661307/tesla-employees-shared-invasive-videos-customers-cars-report/

Honestly, if you don't want your car to have tracking devices, you may not want to have any modern car. If your worry is which company is tracking you, well, I wouldn't just worry about Chinese companies. You have to decide for yourself which companies you trust to track you. This also applies to cell phone companies.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
They're chinese cars marketed for westerners. Lots of talk about the environment....meanwhile the cars are built in industrial areas where you can't breathe the air.

Present day human rights issues aside, I'm not buying a $50+k product from a company that's required by law to assist the state in espionage. Geely sources electronics from suppliers like Huawei for some vehicles which are banned in the US.

What happens in the likely scenario that China invades Taiwan in the next few years and is facing sanctions like Russia is? Does China decide to retaliate and OTA brick (or worse) every car?

No thanks.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
That's the car I would have purchased if I wanted something smaller. Though I think they're going through production cuts and layoffs, so it's hard to know how reliable they'll be as a brand for the long term.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I've driven one. It's a decent Model 3 competitor but with a lift back. Less space than a Mach E and lousy visibility out that back window. I know a couple of folks who own them and are very happy with them.

Not to support commi economy.....:) just kidding about banning..... but people should think before they buy that.
Due to Chinese construction, the cost in the US includes a hefty tariff.

I'm all for a free market, but my concern is the Chinese seem like they don't have the best of intentions. Will they put some malware or tracking devices in their software for us?
And yet you probably drive around with a Chinese-manufactured cell phone (as do I).
Sponsored