My wife just returned from her Mums 90th birthday and saw this car. I looked online and couldn’t ID it, any thoughts?

thedoc

First Name
Staffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-e 2021
Country flag
The only thing you've posted that says that it was assembled in Germany was something pasted from some fan site. A mention of Germany on a sticker doesn't mean it was built there. And every European VIN starts with those digits. That doesn't mean they were all built in Germany any more than it means they are all 2 Door Saloons (whatever that means). Don't let the fact that the only factories in the world that build MMEs are located in Mexico and China dissuade you from your beliefs. Okay, now I 'm really done. I'll let you go ahead and get the last word in.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang_Mach-E
Wikipedia is wikipedia. OK: VIN positions 1-3 WF0 mean Ford Germany position 7, "E", means Ford Germany, Köln-Miehl. The sticker between the doors clearly states Köln Germany, no matter what someone wrote on Wikipedia.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
That's not a window sticker, but okay, I guess I'm done. No point in debating this since all Mach-Es sold outside of China are built at the same plant in Mexico.
Yes but the VIN is supposed to show the country where the car was manufactured, and his VIN indicates his car was made in Germany.

"Country of Origin Character Codes
The 1st character in a car's vehicle identification number indicates the country in which it was manufactured.

Some of the country codes include:

1, 4, 5: United States
2: Canada
3A-37: Mexico
J: Japan
VF-VR: France
9: Brazil
WA-W0: West Germany
S: Great Britain"

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My VIN starts with a 3, indicating Mexico.

Oh well, the Internet is not very helpful when it is wrong. I think the problem may be there is no VIN standard in the EU, so maybe EU modules don't use the first digit for manufacturing location. However, if Ford isn't following the NA standard I would be surprised.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
My VIN starts with a 3, indicating Mexico.

Oh well, the Internet is not very helpful when it is wrong. I think the problem may be there is no VIN standard in the EU, so maybe EU modules don't use the first digit for manufacturing location. However, if Ford isn't following the NA standard I would be surprised.
This post cites the ISO standard and provides some explanation for why it may be a W even while final assembly is in Mexico.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/vin-starting-with-a-w.3307/post-104445

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Wikipedia is wikipedia. OK: VIN positions 1-3 WF0 mean Ford Germany position 7, "E", means Ford Germany, Köln-Miehl. The sticker between the doors clearly states Köln Germany, no matter what someone wrote on Wikipedia.
Now I’m convinced you’re just trolling at this point.

Which Ford manufacturing plant in Germany do you think your Mach E was built in?

Because there are two-

Cologne- which makes the Ford Fiesta-

and

Saarlouis- which makes the Ford Focus

https://corporate.ford.com/operations/locations/global-plants/cologne-body-and-assembly-plant.html

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Now I’m convinced you’re just trolling at this point.

Which Ford manufacturing plant in Germany do you think your Mach E was built in?

Because there are two-

Cologne- which makes the Ford Fiesta-

and

Saarlouis- which makes the Ford Focus

https://corporate.ford.com/operations/locations/global-plants/cologne-body-and-assembly-plant.html
Yep. That settles it.

More discussion on European VINs:
It would be nice if Ford was more consistent, but they must have their reasons. I bet it has to do with EU regulations, taxes and other wonderful things like that.

thedoc

First Name
Staffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-e 2021
Country flag
Yep. That settles it.

It would be nice if Ford was more consistent, but they must have their reasons. I bet it has to do with EU regulations, taxes and other wonderful things like that.
I have read lots of articles stating what Ford produces around the world. I personnally do not care where my car is put together. I did think it was made in Mexico when I got it. Then I found two items on my car that indicate otherwise. Pls see above. That's it ! -And as I said before, whe're a long ways from Polestar 2 now ! Quite amusing, really.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Staffan(aka thedoc) is obviously jerking your/our chain.
My MME was manufactured in Canton, OH. I know 'cause I had a summer job at Ford's stamping plant there over half a century ago cleaning out the grease pits under the stamping machines during plant shutdown. And my dad worked for Ford in Canton in the late '50s/early 60's.
Or was it Denver, CO -my wife's grandfather ran the Ford assembly plant in Denver and was personally acquainted with Henry Ford.
Oh well, must a'bin one of them thar places it was made.

Last edited:

Wonky_Donkey

First Name
Tony R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E RWD ER
Country flag
Hopefully I can clarify this one for everyone....

The first 3 digits of the VIN are the market area that the vehicle is produced for and ultimately where it will be sold.

"WF0" at the beginning is the code for Ford Europe who's HQ is in Germany. All the EU and UK cars manufactured for this territory have this code at the beginning - BUT THIS DOES NOT SHOW WHERE THE CAR WAS ACTUALLY ASSEMBLED.

Digit 11 of your VIN number shows the Assembly plant - and the table below is from Ford....

Ford Mustang Mach-E My wife just returned from her Mums 90th birthday and saw this car. I looked online and couldn’t ID it, any thoughts? 1685443738338

The OP's VIN clearly shows a "M" at digit 11 - and was made in Mexico.

My UK Mach-E by example also starts WF0 and has an M at digit 11. I know it came from Mexico because I tracked it from the port of Veracruz to Antwerp and it took 4 weeks to get here after being built 🤪

Ford Mustang Mach-E My wife just returned from her Mums 90th birthday and saw this car. I looked online and couldn’t ID it, any thoughts? IMG_3105

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
I just saw a black Polestar 2 on my commute this morning. It was difficult to see the subdued badging on the back. Styling was quite square at the rear, and the LED tail lights reminded my of a Dodge Charger with the upper centre section burned out. Front section looked ok from my Rear View Mirror.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
My spouse liked the Polestar so much after driving a rental for a month (car in shop) that we opted for the Volvo C40 when I ditched my car, it's the same car but made in Sweden. Better acceleration than our 4x MME, nicer ride, but less range, and the MME has much better sw (the polestar and volvo use google.)

I'm happy now driving the MME instead of the PHEV Pacifica that I had before (kinda like I had planned this switch all along when we bought her the MME ;).)
Sponsored