My wife just returned from her Mums 90th birthday and saw this car. I looked online and couldn’t ID it, any thoughts?

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
Tons in my neck of the woods...parent is Geely, who also own Volvo...

Polestar was / is Volvo's tuning arm, sorta kinda like AMG, but more. Volvo owned Polestar, then Geely bought Volvo and therefore owns both brands.

Polestar is still Swedish, but the cars are made in China. I would not equate them to BYD or the other "pure" Chinese car makers, but that's open for debate. Headquarters are still in Sweden, and CEO & chairman are still both Swedish.

The cars themselves are still very "Scandi"
Funny that, a salesman’s best pitch on charge station at Gretna Green in UK was “it doesn’t look like a Volvo” 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️ I thought it did, probably because it’s made by same firm who makes Volvo and didn’t have an answer when I asked why an EV needed a transmission tunnel🤷🏼‍♂️
Sponsored

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag

Rt1AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CARt1 AWD
Country flag

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
It's a dilemma : Wanting to abandon all Chinese products, you''d lead a lonely life. Skip Walmart altogether for a start.. Most American car manufacturers have Chinese plants (although my mach-e is assembled in Germany) etc etc
This is true. However, a Chinese made fly swatter cannot record your conversations and track your movements.

And of course none of us are being critical of the Chinese people. They are living under a very oppressive government who is using technology to control them, and is using technology to try to infiltrate and influence other countries.

It is very sad to me that good people who want to produce good products are being forced to do things they would not normally do. And that is the problem. There are many cars to choose from, and choosing one that likely has CCP spying technology in it is not something I will ever do. Pick a German brand. Pick a US brand. There are many choices besides Volvo.

thedoc

First Name
Staffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-e 2021
Country flag
Volvo Cars head office for APAC is located in Shanghai. The company’s main car production plants are located in Gothenburg (Sweden), Ghent (Belgium), South Carolina (US), Chengdu and Daqing (China), while engines are manufactured in Skövde (Sweden) and Zhangjiakou (China) and body components in Olofström (Sweden).

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
Most American car manufacturers have Chinese plants (although my mach-e is assembled in Germany) etc etc
?

I was under the impression that all Mach-Es are made (currently) in one place and shipped world-wide. (not counting the Chinese home market versions) I wasn't aware that any Mach-Es were being assembled in Germany.

thedoc

First Name
Staffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-e 2021
Country flag
Neither was I ! I just assumed it was Mexican, until I saw the plaque between the L side doors.. 2021 model, Sweden.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Neither was I ! I just assumed it was Mexican, until I saw the plaque between the L side doors.. 2021 model, Sweden.
I think it is marked "Sweden" because that is the country it was manufactured for. Each country may have unique regulations that require Ford to specify the country of destination. I don't have any inside or special knowledge about this, but others who received MMEs in the EU were shipped from Mexico or the US. And the articles I have read have stated that there is only one factory for the MME (besides China).

My understanding is all MMEs for all markets except China are made in Mexico.

thedoc

First Name
Staffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-e 2021
Country flag
I was wrong in that the sticker actually sits between the R side doors. Mine has a EU radio: No AM (no transmitters on MW band any longer), DAB+ & FM. No satellite radio, since that's not a thing here. I do play SOC88,5 FM radio and many other internet streaming stations via AndroidAuto from my mobile phone.. It's not marked "Sweden", but sold here.

DAB = Digital Audio Broadcast

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I may be missing it, but where does that sticker say that it was assembled in Germany?

I'm pretty sure that if Ford had a factory in Europe that was cranking out Mach-Es, we'd know about it.

thedoc

First Name
Staffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-e 2021
Country flag
This is true. However, a Chinese made fly swatter cannot record your conversations and track your movements.

And of course none of us are being critical of the Chinese people. They are living under a very oppressive government who is using technology to control them, and is using technology to try to infiltrate and influence other countries.

It is very sad to me that good people who want to produce good products are being forced to do things they would not normally do. And that is the problem. There are many cars to choose from, and choosing one that likely has CCP spying technology in it is not something I will ever do. Pick a German brand. Pick a US brand. There are many choices besides Volvo.
No matter what car you buy these days, it will surely track your drives & whereabouts. So will your mobile phone.,
Sponsored