national grid rates - MA

trenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 premium
Country flag
So, with the announced 64% (not a typo) increase coming Nov 1st, it seems that driving an EV will be more expensive than an ICE car, considering gas at ~ $3.5/gallon and a kilowatt at around 40 cents, which is crazy. Comes out to ~30 mpg equivalent, which is really really low, and this is with 3.5 miles/kwh allowance, which won't be true for winter.
3.5 / .40 * 3.5 = 30

Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
it’s possible. There are a few things to consider though. If you participate in national grids off peak charging program you save a few cents a kw. Also if your town negotiates a lower rate with a different company for electricity generation then you may not be impacted much, at least until the negotiated rate runs out.

By my math if you are charging off peak and getting around 2.6 m/kWh you should be breaking even with gas at $3.15.

More of a reason to invest in solar next!

BostonPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER / AWD Built 12/21
Country flag
We got lucky in my town, our City did a City Power Plan that you had to opt out of vs opting in for. We are locked in at just under 11¢/Kwh (that does not include delivery) until the end of 2023.

The crazy thing is that it is still cheaper for me to charge at an EA Station here in Mass as they are Per Min vs Per Kwh. I've seen as little as 9¢/Kwh with the Monthly Plan or 14¢ without it.

We've been looking in to Solar but have a 100 year old house with a Slate Roof that we don't want to replace it and of course no one wants to touch it.

Last edited:

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
So, with the announced 64% (not a typo) increase coming Nov 1st, it seems that driving an EV will be more expensive than an ICE car, considering gas at ~ $3.5/gallon and a kilowatt at around 40 cents, which is crazy. Comes out to ~30 mpg equivalent, which is really really low, and this is with 3.5 miles/kwh allowance, which won't be true for winter.
3.5 / .40 * 3.5 = 30

Any thoughts?
Wow, our rates here are 14.5 cents per kwh which breaks down to $5.00 per 100 miles on my Mach E. With your rates I would be paying $13.79 per 100 miles, wow, just wow!!!

OWG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium Extended Range AWD
Country flag
We got lucky in my town, our City did a City Power Plan that you had to opt out of vs opting in for. We are locked in at just under 11¢/Kwh (that does not include delivery) until the end of 2023.

The crazy thing is that it is still cheaper for me to charge at an EA Station here in Mass as they are Per Min vs Per Kwh. I've seen as little as 9¢/Kwh with the Monthly Plan or 14¢ without it.

We've been looking in to Solar but have a 100 year old house with a Slate Roof that we don't want to replace it and of course no one wants to touch it.
I think we are mixing prices here. There is the kWh cost of the electricity, then there is the what we at the outlet including the burdened cost of the distribution. The 64% increase is in the supply portion of the bill.

Pete, when you say that you are locked in at 11¢/kWh that is the supply cost right?

I am currently charged 10.57¢/kWh (town aggregation rate). Then I am charged an additional 14.044¢/kWh to deliver it. My cost per kWh at the outlet is currently 26¢/kWh.

National Grid (my utility) has proposed a residential supply rate of 33.38¢/kWh for those who have not opted to pick a supplier. That's where the 64% increase comes in. Which would mean a delivered price of 47.424¢/kWh.

Now there is an electricity provider who is offering 17.9¢/kWh (36 month contract $150 cancellation fee)

Trenz, I think you are in for a bit of a shock if you expect to see 3.5 m/kWh in winter. I was seeing around 2 m/kWh last February. That said with eight months of operation I have booked $555.07 in saving over the fuel cost for a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek. The real question is how 'sticky' the price of Natural Gas is once the winter ends.

Southern92

First Name
Jeffery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW i3
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E national grid rates - MA SDGE Rate

Rates in San Diego area. But with as much juice as my EVs use I will charge during Super-Off Peak & try to minimize during On-Peak times.
From 202 to now the prices (under this plan) have increased:

Summer Winter
On-Peak: 27% 63%
Off-Peak: 35% 48%
Super Off-Peak: 20% 18%

(and yes. . . SDG&E has already put in for an increase over the next few years!)

Southern92

First Name
Jeffery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW i3
Country flag
Clarification: I have solar, so my prior post is what SDG&E charges, not what I "pay".
Since my system currently generates all I need, & assuming my system performs up to warranty specs (& I don't pay off my loan early) I will be paying:
$0.061 / kWh for the next 23 years.
$0.049 / kWh if I pay off the loan now.

BostonPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium ER / AWD Built 12/21
Country flag
I think we are mixing prices here. There is the kWh cost of the electricity, then there is the what we at the outlet including the burdened cost of the distribution. The 64% increase is in the supply portion of the bill.

Pete, when you say that you are locked in at 11¢/kWh that is the supply cost right?

I am currently charged 10.57¢/kWh (town aggregation rate). Then I am charged an additional 14.044¢/kWh to deliver it. My cost per kWh at the outlet is currently 26¢/kWh.

National Grid (my utility) has proposed a residential supply rate of 33.38¢/kWh for those who have not opted to pick a supplier. That's where the 64% increase comes in. Which would mean a delivered price of 47.424¢/kWh.

Now there is an electricity provider who is offering 17.9¢/kWh (36 month contract $150 cancellation fee)

Trenz, I think you are in for a bit of a shock if you expect to see 3.5 m/kWh in winter. I was seeing around 2 m/kWh last February. That said with eight months of operation I have booked $555.07 in saving over the fuel cost for a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek. The real question is how 'sticky' the price of Natural Gas is once the winter ends.

Yes I am talking about only the Generation Part of my Bill / not including delivery so all in mine has creeped up from about 20¢/Kwh to just under 25¢/Kwh total.

I also agree that my Select and not even my Premium lost a ton of range in the winter. Since my daily commute is only 4.5 miles each way it isn't worth me preconditioning so I know I could get better range but it just isn't worth it. I've seen as low as 1.9mi/kwh on a cold day.
Sponsored

Reactions: OWG