Navigation and Charging, how low % will it let you arrive?

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
I took a 130mile road trip the other day, and from start the car predicted I would arrive with 13% battery. The car was insisting I charge though for the trip, because I was going to a rural location in Maine and the only public chargers were 30min away. Is there any way around this? I knew I could charge at my destination, but couldnt find a way to tell the car this. What do others do in this case?
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Use A Better Route Planner.

Or, tell it to NOT add chargers, which is the prompt at the beginning.

OP
OP
MacherAWD

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Use A Better Route Planner.

Or, tell it to NOT add chargers, which is the prompt at the beginning.
Well I wasnt sure if I would need to charge, or what % the car is comfortable letting you arrive with? When I first started I just assumed it wanted a 15% buffer or so, so that seemed fine. Its just as I got close I realized what it was doing when it wanted me to turn around to charge for a bit. Would be nice if I could add "charging available at destination"

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Use A Better Route Planner, where you can set your destination at whatever percentage you want to.

If you leave with 100%, there would be no question that you don't need to charge.

OP
OP
MacherAWD

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Use A Better Route Planner, where you can set your destination at whatever percentage you want to.

If you leave with 100%, there would be no question that you don't need to charge.
So I have done this trip prior, I think it used 65% battery, but this time I had an extra adult, was leaving at 79%, and couldnt recall the prior times weather. Does ABRP learn your cars range and adjust? I prefer the built in with updating based on climate control use and factors like that. Also updating based on Intelligent range, which despite Ford told me for the 2nd time, I still dont appear to have.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, ABRP isn't going to learn anything. However, you can go in and set things like weight (i.e. you, your passenger, luggage), the starting percentage, the temperature, the starting state of charge, and what percentage you want to arrive with.

However, a better route to take (pun intended) is to simply know what your miles per kWh should be, and do the math. For example if you get 3.0 miles per kWh, and you add a 250 pound person, maybe you will get 2.8. 2.8 x battery size is your range, times 79% is how much you have left.

Intelligent Range is in Early Access, and relying on it for anything given you are TESTING it would be a mistake.

OP
OP
MacherAWD

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I am in the early access, and was told I had the update, but again I havent seen any sign that I have it.

OP
OP
MacherAWD

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
So I guess my question here is, for a longish journey, how low battery % will the car let you arrive. Like will navigation always route in a charge if you arrive at 5%, 10%, 15%? I just played a bit with the trip planner and it seems like the magic number is 10%, its fine with me arriving places at 11%, but when I lower my start 2% it routes in a charge stop.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
It will let you run out if you keep driving. You can set warning messages to pup up at different intervals but that's it.

Plan your route accordingly

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I took a 130mile road trip the other day, and from start the car predicted I would arrive with 13% battery. The car was insisting I charge though for the trip, because I was going to a rural location in Maine and the only public chargers were 30min away. Is there any way around this? I knew I could charge at my destination, but couldnt find a way to tell the car this. What do others do in this case?
you can set the batt% or est. range remaining value for the 'warnings' to pop up. Defaults I think are 30% and/or 50 miles.

it is really really really not great for your battery to go below 5%....

You may not be able to find a fast charger, or even a networked charger showing up in apps/searches. But you *probably* should look for some place to stop and grab a little juice if you hit 10%. There are lots of hotels, restaurants, campgrounds, and even B&Bs that have 240v outlets available.... although usually supposed to be for guests.

Plugshare.com does a pretty good job of finding non-networked chargers where you can grab a (slow) charge and see the nearby sights or grab a meal while you wait

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I guess my question here is, for a longish journey, how low battery % will the car let you arrive. Like will navigation always route in a charge if you arrive at 5%, 10%, 15%? I just played a bit with the trip planner and it seems like the magic number is 10%, its fine with me arriving places at 11%, but when I lower my start 2% it routes in a charge stop.
You simply tell it to not add a charger. I have arrived at my destination many times below 10% and a few below 5%.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
There is a setting you can set to "Add Chargers - Always Ask", and that's what I have it set to. The system does not allow you to set a minimum arrival %. It seems to prompt you to add a charger if you'll arrive below 20%, but sometimes it allows down to 10% without fussing. Generally it's not happy if you'll arrive less than 10% and you may get warnings about not making it.

You should plan on arriving with at least 10% battery in case something comes up, you miss your exit, or you use way more power than expected (e.g. headwind or heavy rain).

What I do is put in my destination, decline adding chargers if it asks, and then look at the overview to see what % I'll arrive at. If it's less than about 15% then I will probably add one to the route unless I know it will be fine. If you try to go too far you can still decline chargers and it will say you'll arrive at 0%.

OP
OP
MacherAWD

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
There is a setting you can set to "Add Chargers - Always Ask", and that's what I have it set to. The system does not allow you to set a minimum arrival %. It seems to prompt you to add a charger if you'll arrive below 20%, but sometimes it allows down to 10% without fussing. Generally it's not happy if you'll arrive less than 10% and you may get warnings about not making it.

You should plan on arriving with at least 10% battery in case something comes up, you miss your exit, or you use way more power than expected (e.g. headwind or heavy rain).

What I do is put in my destination, decline adding chargers if it asks, and then look at the overview to see what % I'll arrive at. If it's less than about 15% then I will probably add one to the route unless I know it will be fine. If you try to go too far you can still decline chargers and it will say you'll arrive at 0%.
Makes sense, I'll do that, route without charge stop, then route again if needed.

robbinbadams

First Name
Robbin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
California Route 1
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I drove 133 miles to my mothers home with a side trip to pickup lunch for her. Then a little driving around to show off the car. On the way back my son asked if I can come help with his ac so a little more. In the end I’m down to 12% and the gom is saying 34 miles left when I get home. I use Ways and it tracked well with the GOM in terms of miles driven and what was available.
In the end everything seem to work out as expected. I was very happy with the range that I got although it might be a little less than advertised it was sufficient to make a significant trip to my mothers and back without any issues

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
If you have it set to add chargers and it predicts you will arrive with less then 10% SOC, it will add charging to your route. 10% is the minimum arrival amount in the algorithm
Sponsored