Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Hey all, I need your professional advise.

I am moving next month from the city to the suburbs which means I currently do not have a car but will need one asap. I always thought when this would happen that I would buy my dream car a dodge Challenger (probably scat pack trim). In fact, I test drove some last month and they are awesome!

However, both of my brothers have EVs (Tesla and bolt) and I do strongly believe in a huge EV resolution this decade. So much so I fear if I bought something like a challenger and tried to sell it in 3 years it would be worth nothing.

Besides all of that, I actually recently fell in love with the mach-e and completely forgot about the challenger. The GT would be perfect, gives the same HP as the scat pack I was already set on plus I absolutely love the interior. I am very picky and can't settle for a premium or anything else.

So the problem is we are closing on the house in 3 weeks and we need a car around then and I haven't even started an order for the GT because I have been confused.

Do I go to a Ford, test drive the premiums, order a gt, then pick a random used car that hopefully I can sell back to them when the GT comes? Do I lease a car and maybe they buy back the lease when the GT arrives? I imagine some of you had to make similar choices, let me know your thoughts!!
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

fightinag

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e
Occupation
retired flight nurse
Country flag
Ive been waiting 6 weeks just to hear from Ford that my order is in !

greenaero

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MME gray , Mazda Cx5, Honda CBR250R
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Country flag
IMHO , order your GT then get a cheap used car or lease one until you get it. Live your dreams!

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Also +1 to buying a temporary used car to use if you are set on the GT.

However, maybe hold off for a few weeks until you actually need the vehicle? I think GT deliveries are getting close, maybe some will come in by then and you will be lucky and find a GT where the person who ordered it will not be able to go through with the purchase and the dealer will be offering it up to the general public.

CompilerBreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
I ordered a GT in May, if I'm lucky I'll see it in November, if you order now, it'll be pushing toward 2022 most likely. Used car prices are still inflated so buying one short term is probably not the best. I don't personally like leases but that might work out, or maybe one of the car subscriptions, Volvo says theirs is only a minimum of 5 months but no idea what the total costs are there.

And also, in all honesty, if you can hold out, model year 2 of the Mach E can only get better. Probably not a battery/powertrain boost, but they might figure out some more interior upgrades.

I have a second car though, so I ordered :p

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I vote order the GT and get a cheap used car. Hell I would even say if you can get your hands on a cheap used pickup truck that you can hold onto afterwards. Reason being is when you need a truck it is REALLY nice to have one.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Add me to the “get a cheap used car (if you can find one) and hold out for the GT.

VaderMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, Mustang Mach E! (Shadow Black)
Occupation
Supervisor
Country flag
Order the GT because it's what you really want. Everything else will suffer by comparison, and you'd end up unhappy. I'd truly expect to wait until next year to get it though... keep that in mind. Also find a trusted dealership that won't try to crank the price on it once it's in. A used car will be a little tough, the market is skewed currently with pricing, but there are good vehicles out there. Just my $.02!?

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Focus Electric
Country flag
Another possibility is to find a vehicle on LeaseTrader, SwapALease, or similar site that has just a few months left on the contract. That way, you do not have to worry about navigating the currently inflated used car market. I'm sure lease trading market values have seen an uptick over the past few months as well, but it may be less of a hassle to just be able to give the car back once the lease ends rather than selling a used car.

It's hard to predict exactly when a GT ordered today will be built, but 8 to 10 months would seem to be safe.

sweekrut

First Name
Son
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Country flag
you have to wait for next year for your GT. sorry for that
Sponsored