Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
I’m short on time here. I leave for a trip tomorrow. The location where I’m staying said I could use one of their RV spots for charging.

I have the ChargePoint Home Flex with the NEMA 14-50 plug and want an adapter plug to fit the RV receptacle from Amazon.

Please help if you can recognize the plug below. TIA. I don’t know what to search for to find an adapter that will convert the 14-50 to this:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Need help finding an adapter plug 3B6B742E-6E6E-44C5-B237-E2F63F5A57F0
Sponsored

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T, 23 Tesla MYP
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
OP
OP
bncwhite

bncwhite

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
Thank you. I've already reset my Flex to 30Amp Plug-In mode so I should be good to now right?

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Thank you. I've already reset my Flex to 30Amp Plug-In mode so I should be good to now right?
See my edits. You can't use what I sent due to the limitations of the RV receptacle provided to you. You'll use your Ford Mobile Charger with the 120V dongle.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Does the ChargePoint support 30A at 120V? I'm not sure that it does. I'm not sure if it supports 120V at all, actually.

OP
OP
bncwhite

bncwhite

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
So just to clarify, there is no point to take the Flex charger because I’ll be getting the equivalent/approx. power of a 110V plug?

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
So just to clarify, there is no point to take the Flex charger because I’ll be getting the equivalent/approx. power of a 110V plug?
This is correct. You need to adapt from TT-30R to NEMA 5-15/20R, and use your Mobile Charger.

@generaltso CPHF does NOT support 110/120V.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
This is correct. You need to adapt from TT-30R to NEMA 5-15/20R, and use your Mobile Charger.

@generaltso CPHF does NOT support 110/120V.
Since you are back to the Ford Mobile charger @ 120V, might as well just skip the RV outlet / adapters all together and plug it into a standard 120V outlet. (if one is available)

Even though that RV circuit can provide up to 30A, Ford Mobile charger will only ever draw 12A @ 120V.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Engineering
Country flag
Since you are back to the Ford Mobile charger @ 120V, might as well just skip the RV outlet / adapters all together and plug it into a standard 120V outlet. (if one is available)

Even though that RV circuit can provide up to 30A, Ford Mobile charger will only ever draw 12A @ 120V.
Correct, however OP could make that determination on his/her own, based upon a regular NEMA 5-15/20R outlet being available in addition to the RV TT-30R.

OP
OP
bncwhite

bncwhite

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
Thanks for everyone’s comments. I love how helpful this forum is! I plan to take a 12AWG 300VW extension cord (just in case the EVSE cord doesn’t reach, I think the ext cord rating is safe for this.) so I can hook up to 120V using the Ford Mobile Charger to the place I’ll be staying at.

KlueBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E AWD Premium, 2021 Mustang GT
Country flag
I went through this exact thought process a few weeks ago over on Reddit.

To save you some reading, here are the high points:

1. The plug you posted is known as a TT-30 or Travel Trailer 30
  2. As the name implies, it is rated for 30 amps. In theory you are allowed by code to draw 24 amps continuous from it.
  3. The TT-30 is a 120 volt plug, not 240 volts
  4. The J1772 standard limits 120 volt charging to 16 amps.
  5. The Ford mobile charger and many (most?) portable 120 volt EVSEs limit 120V charging to 12 amps
  6. There is a good chance, but I can not confirm, that the Mach E will limit you to 12 amps on 120V no matter what EVSE you use.
So the short answer here is that even with the proper adapters and an EVSE that would allow it, the most you could ever charge any EV on a TT-30 at would be 16 amps, but more than likely the Mach E would only charge at 12 anyway. Barring other options, just plug your Mobile Connector into a standard 120V outlet and charge at level 1 and use public chargers to make up the difference.

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
there's an adapter for 14-50, so you could trick mobile charger to pull higher current than with 5-15 plug. however, to stay safe, you want to limit the current to 24A, people with Tesla can do it on their car but MME doesn't have a way to do so.

OP
OP
bncwhite

bncwhite

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
there's an adapter for 14-50, so you could trick mobile charger to pull higher current than with 5-15 plug. however, to stay safe, you want to limit the current to 24A, people with Tesla can do it on their car but MME doesn't have a way to do so.
I don’t want to wake up to a burnt down Mach-E. I’ll stick to the slower charge. :)

Ming

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME premium SR RWD; 2022 Civic; Tesla MYP
Country flag
I went through this exact thought process a few weeks ago over on Reddit.

To save you some reading, here are the high points:

1. The plug you posted is known as a TT-30 or Travel Trailer 30
  2. As the name implies, it is rated for 30 amps. In theory you are allowed by code to draw 24 amps continuous from it.
  3. The TT-30 is a 120 volt plug, not 240 volts
  4. The J1772 standard limits 120 volt charging to 16 amps.
  5. The Ford mobile charger and many (most?) portable 120 volt EVSEs limit 120V charging to 12 amps
  6. There is a good chance, but I can not confirm, that the Mach E will limit you to 12 amps on 120V no matter what EVSE you use.
So the short answer here is that even with the proper adapters and an EVSE that would allow it, the most you could ever charge any EV on a TT-30 at would be 16 amps, but more than likely the Mach E would only charge at 12 anyway. Barring other options, just plug your Mobile Connector into a standard 120V outlet and charge at level 1 and use public chargers to make up the difference.
mobile connectors most likely limit current by checking which tail adapter it has, rather than checking voltage. people have used TT-30->14-50 adapter and pull 24A (or even 32A if they don't set the limit). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XNSXWM4
although I'm not sure whether Ford mobile charger does same.

KlueBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E AWD Premium, 2021 Mustang GT
Country flag
Thanks for everyone’s comments. I love how helpful this forum is! I plan to take a 12AWG 300VW extension cord (just in case the EVSE cord doesn’t reach, I think the ext cord rating is safe for this.) so I can hook up to 120V using the Ford Mobile Charger to the place I’ll be staying at.
Just noticed your follow up post here. The 12 gauge cord will probably be fine, especially for short term use, but do make sure not to leave the cord coiled up when charging. A coiled or bunched up cord will heat up faster and that can lead to thermal runaway.

So make sure you spread out any excess cord and check the ends after about an hour of charging to make sure they are not hot. Warm is OK, but hot is bad.

Good luck and stay safe out there!
Sponsored