Need help from folks with FDRS skills....

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I am trying to avoid selling this car and replacing it with something else but I need some help.
VIN 3FMTK3SU3MMA02459

I dropped off my car at the dealership on Monday so they could perform the windshield and pano glass recall.
They also said they would do the 21B36 PaaK, 21P22 CSP and 21G01 BlueCruise. Glass work went fine, the BC update didn't take. Paperwork from the dealership says they performed the 21P22 and 21B36 successfully.

My issue now is the brakes are absolutely horrible. Whichever update included the "improved brake feel" did the opposite to my car. It was never very bad but now I know what some here have been complaining about all this time! 😡 This literally makes the car very uncomfortable in city driving and also ruins Adaptive Cruise Control for me.....ESPECIALLY in stop and resume situations.

There is another thing where the level of regen in L is substantially reduced at speeds over 45 mph or so but I can live with that change. My bigger issue is the brake feel. My wife is really pissed and wants me to take it back and make the dealership fix it. I don't think they will be able to though.

So, my questions for you guys and gals who know FDRS.....
  1. Can someone look and see if those two recalls were done correctly?
  2. If I purchase the hardware cable and software license, can I restore my car back to the original software? I have the As Built file that I downloaded from the PTS system. It looks like all the modules are listed with their "as shipped" build numbers.
  3. Would I be able to restore just the brake module or do I have to clean and restore all modules as a group?
I really liked this car before this round of updates so if I can get my old car back then I won't replace it. It drove wonderfully before and it has a lot of features that I really like. Plus I am grandfathered in with the very very reduced BEV registration fee schedule here in Arizona so I will lose that if I trade this in for something else. I will pay whatever I have to pay to get my old car back. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
There are others that are more qualified, but I can take a whack at this, but from what I know:

You can flash firmware using FDRS, though it is helpful to make the distinction between "as built" and firmware. Someone might want to confirm on this, but I think as built is just referring to options and settings, not the actual firmware/software on the module.

Using forscan you can download and install firmware. But as far as I know it only downloads the most recent. So while you may not be able to roll back, you could try re-flashing the newest firmware to see if that helps

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
FDRS only allows you to look forward, not to roll back.

I would find a good (or better than current?) dealer and have them fix your car. Doesn't sound like they did a proper job on it.

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Need help from folks with FDRS skills.... 1649984179331

They performed all of the updates listed in the OP but IPC failed about four times and also failed subsequent troubleshooting.

This doesn't address your brake issue though it does appear that everything else updated fine.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
FDRS only allows you to look forward, not to roll back.

I would find a good (or better than current?) dealer and have them fix your car. Doesn't sound like they did a proper job on it.
Bummer. San Tan is probably the best EV dealer in town. They successfully installed BlueCruise on other cars so it isn't incompetence on their part. It is just that all these cars are different. Mine was fine until this episode. :(

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
1649984179331.png

They performed all of the updates listed in the OP but IPC failed about four times and also failed subsequent troubleshooting.

This doesn't address your brake issue though it does appear that everything else updated fine.
That is what I was afraid of.
Damn it! I really liked this car too...
Shame they had to change it.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Can you describe how the brakes feel now? Maybe someone who had a successful update can see if it matches their assessment of how the brake feel changed.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Can you describe how the brakes feel now? Maybe someone who had a successful update can see if it matches their assessment of how the brake feel changed.
Prior to the update, the brake blending between regen and friction brakes was seamless. Now it is "grabby". I used to be able to bring the car to a stop in a steady linear smooth motion. Now, when the friction brakes come in, they grab the rotors aggressively and bring the car to a stop about a full wheel rotation sooner than I am expecting.

Similar issue with Adaptive Cruise in stop and go traffic. It is so annoying that I have to turn off ACC in those conditions when it worked nice and smooth before.

At speed, the ACC used to be a bit sleepy and I got used to it and actually grew to like it. I could see traffic merging or cutting across my lane and I could hit the pause button and let the car coast with mild regen (2PD in D). Then when the car ahead is accelerating away then I would hit resume. Same thing for sweeping curves when changing from one freeway to another. I could hit pause and resume a few times to control the car's tendency to race around the bend.

Now, when a car jumps in front of me then the car slams on the brakes and then accelerates and then hits the brakes again. I don't like that change.

When enabling LKA, I used to be able to hold the car in the portion of the lane that was smoothest and then the car would follow. Now it always hunts to the right to find the lane marker and then goes back to the center. I then have to put it where I want and then it keeps that position for a while. Eventually it will forget and ping pong back to the right and then find center and then I have to adjust to where I want it again. Over 20 miles, I have to do this about 4 times. Gets old.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Today was better for the brakes. Still jerky but nowhere near as aggressive as the day before. Dealer says the ABS module was reset so the brake blending routine needs to retrain itself. I guess that might be true because the car improved throughout the day as I continued to drive it. Have just over 250 miles since I picked it up and it feels close to what I remember. :) Happy days.

The LKA thing still is a problem. I really can't use it right now since it pulls to the right and actually fights me so I have to turn it off. ACC works so much better now with LKA turned off. Still a little off but also still worth using.

Now I need to figure out how to set a charge location for work. All charge locations were deleted during the updates. I was able to reset home, sorta. It won't let me do the office though.
Sponsored