Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I am getting very frustrated. I have my GT set to charge to a maximum of 90%, using a Ford L2 charger (it does the same on an L1 charger too). There are several issues I have discovered:

1. When I arrive home and pull into the garage, and shut the car off, THEN plug it, the car will almost always ignore the charging schedule/target and immediately start charging to 100% goal. It almost never follows the schedule/target for HOME. Interestingly, the car will show its location as the same address as HOME, but ignores the defined charging setup.
  2. If I arrive home, leave the car turned on, and plug in, then shut the car off, the car will indicate that it is charging at Home, with a 90% target. this almost always works. HOWEVER:
  3. If I approach anywhere near the car with a keyfob, or with PaaK turned on, the car "wakes up" and starts charging, and again ignores location and goes for 100%.
  4. Even with PaaK turned off (I effectively can't use it because every time I walk near the garage, which is attached to the kitchen, the car wakes up and tries to charge), AND with both key fobs in a Faraday box to block their signal, the car will at some point begin to ignore the target and STILL charge to 100%. This happened last night. I verified before bed that charging had stopped at 90% goal. Then I get up this morning and the car is charged to 100% when I checked FordPass, and I verified that in the car itself. I have caught it in the act trying to reach 100% several times and unplugged it as well.
  5. I have tried this with both charging times defined and not defined. The car will ignore the times the same way it ignores the target charge. For instance, I can plug it in (with car running) at 7PM, with a charge window set from say 2AM to 9AM. Any time I get near the car with a key or PaaK, it will start charging. Also, it will seemingly just start charging outside window and to 100% for no apparent reason with PaaK disabled and fobs in a faraday box.
What is going on? Anyone else have these issues?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Other notes: I have deleted and re-entered the charging location. No help.
I have Fordpass set to use the preferred charge settings, not charge anytime.
I do not have any departure times defined.

TuxToaster

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue MME Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Maybe dumb question, but when you say it charges to 100%, are you going by what the car is actually doing, or what FordPass says it's doing?

I ask because FordPass is notoriously not the most accurate thing, and in at least one instance I've seen the app say it was charging to 100% despite the target and location directing otherwise... and it said that right up until the car reached the target charge level and stopped charging as it was supposed to. Then FordPass updated and correctly reflected that the target was reached.

So it is possible that it's working correctly but telling you that it's going to charge to 100% when it actually won't.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Do you have your home location set to "Use preferred charge settings" and not "Charge when plugged in"?

Earplug

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GT-PE
Country flag
Have you tried setting up the charge schedule and level in the car and not with Ford Pass App?

I set up my Premium in the car and it works as scheduled. However, whenever I plug it in outside of the scheduled time my Clipper Creek unit will switch on for about 1 minute and then shuts off. It appears that the car is checking the schedule.

OP
OP

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Yes, I have it set to use preferred charge settings, and I set it all up in the car, not using fordpass.

jjwolf

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium 4X, M3, Yukon
Country flag
I had this issue until I realized it was because the car sets this based on the last person who drives it. I use the car in the AM and my wife in the PM, so it would use the defaults in her profile instead of the values I had configured in mine. Once I set hers to use the same values, everything worked fine. Not sure if this is your situation, but thought it might help clarify a quirk of the Mach-E.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Your symptoms seem to match mine. Has yours been fine since changing the SOBDM-C module?
Yes charges on schedule and can keep it plugged in without it going to 100%. Has worked as the manual details since the module was replaced. Have no idea if that is your problem but I flagged it for your info. First step is to see if your service guys can get it to work if not it is a problem they should fix.

OP
OP

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I am going to experiment a bit more before I take it to the dealer. I want to make 100% sure I completely understand what it is doing, and in what scenarios. For instance, after reading some of the replies to this thread, I temporarily disabled User Profiles as a test. I also removed the preferred charging times. Plugged the car in while it was turned on, and at a 94% charge. Then turned car off. Car indicated it was charged to target level and is just sitting there waiting now, as it should. I want to see what happens by tomorrow morning.

It was at 94% charge because it charged to 100% incorrectly sometime between 9PM last night and mid-morning today....

jjwolf

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium 4X, M3, Yukon
Country flag
Also, unless they've changed it, don't use Intelligent Charging. It always charges to 100% for me and there was no way to force it to stay at 90%.

OP
OP

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
It screwed up again last night. Plugged in at 6:55PM at 94% charge. Nothing happened. Then, for an unknown reason, at 3:37AM it started charging from 94% to 100%. When I checked it this morning it was at 100%.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I am getting very frustrated. I have my GT set to charge to a maximum of 90%, using a Ford L2 charger (it does the same on an L1 charger too). There are several issues I have discovered:

1. When I arrive home and pull into the garage, and shut the car off, THEN plug it, the car will almost always ignore the charging schedule/target and immediately start charging to 100% goal. It almost never follows the schedule/target for HOME. Interestingly, the car will show its location as the same address as HOME, but ignores the defined charging setup.
  2. If I arrive home, leave the car turned on, and plug in, then shut the car off, the car will indicate that it is charging at Home, with a 90% target. this almost always works. HOWEVER:
  3. If I approach anywhere near the car with a keyfob, or with PaaK turned on, the car "wakes up" and starts charging, and again ignores location and goes for 100%.
  4. Even with PaaK turned off (I effectively can't use it because every time I walk near the garage, which is attached to the kitchen, the car wakes up and tries to charge), AND with both key fobs in a Faraday box to block their signal, the car will at some point begin to ignore the target and STILL charge to 100%. This happened last night. I verified before bed that charging had stopped at 90% goal. Then I get up this morning and the car is charged to 100% when I checked FordPass, and I verified that in the car itself. I have caught it in the act trying to reach 100% several times and unplugged it as well.
  5. I have tried this with both charging times defined and not defined. The car will ignore the times the same way it ignores the target charge. For instance, I can plug it in (with car running) at 7PM, with a charge window set from say 2AM to 9AM. Any time I get near the car with a key or PaaK, it will start charging. Also, it will seemingly just start charging outside window and to 100% for no apparent reason with PaaK disabled and fobs in a faraday box.
What is going on? Anyone else have these issues?
Good morning, Kevin. Would you please send us a private message with your VIN and mileage so we can look into this charging issue for you? I'd love to help you sort this out so you can get back to driving your Mach E carefree!

juggler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select
Country flag
Good morning, Kevin. Would you please send us a private message with your VIN and mileage so we can look into this charging issue for you? I'd love to help you sort this out so you can get back to driving your Mach E carefree!
I’m having a similar issue. The car will occasionally but not always blow past my set charge limit… seems sporadic… I have screenshots from the app to show my settings and post charging as well. I brought my car into the dealer and they can’t figure it out… they said they are trying to contact Ford to troubleshoot the issue but apparently they can’t get a hold of Ford. The dealer asked me to reach out to customer service and they said they can’t help and said to contact the dealer… I’m stuck in the middle with the dealer and Ford pointing at each other… any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored