AlphaGK

First Name
Alpha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I'm interested in finding technical details about my MME - and want to connect a Bluetooth Dongle to the OBD II port.
Then I just need to find a smartphone App that will show me the data on a dashboard.

I want to make sure my car can charge effectively, and monitoring the battery temp seems to be the best way to do that.

Stats I need regular updates on are:
* Battery Temp (real-time)
* 12V battery charge level (voltage)
* Lithium-ion battery charge level (kW remaining)

I don't get enough details from the Car Health reports that Ford emails to me, so I'd like to
get temperature data and power consumption stats (if available).

I have a FIXD gadget for my ICE car, but it apparently won't work with an all-Electric car.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
So many posts about this. But please remember that if you monitor your car using an OBDII scanner while the car is off, it will drain your LVB. Not something you should do.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag

Johnny572

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT performance
Country flag
I'm interested in finding technical details about my MME - and want to connect a Bluetooth Dongle to the OBD II port.
Then I just need to find a smartphone App that will show me the data on a dashboard.

I want to make sure my car can charge effectively, and monitoring the battery temp seems to be the best way to do that.

Stats I need regular updates on are:
* Battery Temp (real-time)
* 12V battery charge level (voltage)
* Lithium-ion battery charge level (kW remaining)

I don't get enough details from the Car Health reports that Ford emails to me, so I'd like to
get temperature data and power consumption stats (if available).

I have a FIXD gadget for my ICE car, but it apparently won't work with an all-Electric car.
car scanner app and VEEPEAK works great with EVs and itā€™s cheap.

BillPitman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, ā€˜21 J2 Space White Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
So many posts about this. But please remember that if you monitor your car using an OBDII scanner while the car is off, it will drain your LVB. Not something you should do.
OBDLINK MX+ will not drain the battery! More expensive but does power down while plugged in and not being usedā€¦ā€¦. Bill P

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OBDLINK MX+ will not drain the battery! More expensive but does power down while plugged in and not being usedā€¦ā€¦. Bill P
It is not the scanner that is draining the battery. What drains the battery is keeping the car active so the scanner can read data. If you are not reading data, then the OBDII scanner will not drain the battery if left plugged in. So the brand of scanner is not relevant...

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
This is the Vpeek I ordered. I also paid the fee to upgrade Car Scanner to the pro version. If I remember it was $12.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
Looking at OBD LX vs M+ here and it says this:

Consider purchasing MX+ if you need access to the proprietary Ford & GM vehicle networks (MS-CAN and SW-CAN) in addition to the standard OBD-II protocols.

So the question I have is do we need the MX+ or would the LX suffice? I'm not sure what the "proprietary...networks" refers to. Thanks in advance for you reply.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looking at OBD LX vs M+ here and it says this:

Consider purchasing MX+ if you need access to the proprietary Ford & GM vehicle networks (MS-CAN and SW-CAN) in addition to the standard OBD-II protocols.

So the question I have is do we need the MX+ or would the LX suffice? I'm not sure what the "proprietary...networks" refers to. Thanks in advance for you reply.
I also recommend the MX+ because it has much better security - you cannot connect to it without pressing the physical pairing button first. My old OBDII reader did not have that capability, so I was afraid to leave it plugged in. I can leave the MX+ plugged in with no worries.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
I also recommend the MX+ because it has much better security - you cannot connect to it without pressing the physical pairing button first. My old OBDII reader did not have that capability, so I was afraid to leave it plugged in. I can leave the MX+ plugged in with no worries.
Thanks. I've ordered it. And what app(s) do you use? The only Forscan I could see in the iphone app store was Forscan Lite ($6.99).

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks. I've ordered it. And what app(s) do you use? The only Forscan I could see in the iphone app store was Forscan Lite ($6.99).
I use the same app most people use: CarScanner. It has predeveloped dashboards for the MME and Lightening (they share the same dashboards). It makes discovering the data very easy.

Mike_Hawk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium Extended AWD (Space White)
Country flag
I'm a fan of the OBDLink MX+, plus it includes all of the other available proprietary manufacturer protocols for free.
Sponsored