Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
The Ford Mobile charger needs ground or it will not boot. It help protect the expensive electronics in the vehicle it is connecting to a very dirty grid.
A ground is to protect people not equipment from dirty power. It provides a return safe path in the event that something malfunctions in the circuit and shorts out. If your EVSE is going to ground, throw it away.
anyways as noted above, a bad ground is a solid Red led (previous mention of amber was wrong) , and from their limited picture the ground is connected properly.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
The Ford Mobile charger needs ground or it will not boot. It help protect the expensive electronics in the vehicle it is connecting to a very dirty grid.
I have plugged mine into an ungrounded receptacle. The only light on was a solid red. That’s not the case here.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
For quick reference, here is what the LEDs mean for the mobile charger
“SAFETY FEATURES
The charger is designed with your safety as the highest priority and includes the following safety features to protect against the risk of electric shock:
  • Service Ground Check: The charger constantly checks for the presence of a service ground connection. If the service ground ever fails, the charger RED indicator turns ON and shuts down power to the vehicle.
  • Thermal Event Sensor: Charger module senses out-of-ordinary thermal events and will decrease charging current or shut the unit down if required.
  • GFCI Protection: The charger is equipped with a Ground Fault Circuit Interruption (GFCI) reaction system to protect against electric shock. If the charger module detects an output ground fault, it will shut down power to the output cable and illuminate the RED indicator.
  • Insulation: The charger module, connector, cable assembly, and charge coupler are completely insulated, no exposed live parts, to protect against electric shock.
  • Unintentional Disconnection: The charge coupler is designed to minimize unintentional disconnection. A pilot signal wire in the cable and charge coupler eliminates the possibility of electric shock when not connected to a vehicle or if an unintended disconnect occurs during a charge. Disconnection during charging is safe”

Ford Mustang Mach-E NEMA 14-50 Home Challenges 0DCF336B-6575-4384-AB57-B9330984A043

Last edited:
OP
OP
DynamiteD

DynamiteD

First Name
April
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD Rapid Red/Black Onyx
Country flag
We tested the Wall Olet Connectr(240v Nema 14-50) on another 50 amp NEMA receptacle at an RV park and we received the same experience. We are concluding we have a bad Wall connector and have ordered a new one.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/e...all-olet-connectr(240v-nema-14-50)-14207813-1

The dealership experience has been very draining as they are unaware of many of the processes ranging from the financing for the Ford Option Plan to now this. Getting a part number from them was talking to several people and figuring it out.

Thank you everyone for your feedback and we look forward to charging once the new part comes.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
We are concluding we have a bad Wall connector and have ordered a new one.
Getting a part number from them was talking to several people and figuring it out.
I'm not sure why you needed a part number or to order this yourself. This should have been a warranty concern.

OP
OP
DynamiteD

DynamiteD

First Name
April
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD Rapid Red/Black Onyx
Country flag
I'm not sure why you needed a part number or to order this yourself. This should have been a warranty concern.
We agree! The dealership experience has been like a major hurdle that we are still trying to work through. The people are great but it appears leadership is not training the people to be in a position to make it a great customer experience.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I think that the most you ordered is the part that goes from the 240 outlet to the charger, not an entire charger (which is what should have been ordered). Or, you ordered a 240 outlet, which makes no sense for Ford to sell. The mobile charger lists for over $400. LJ9Z-10B706-E is the part number I believe. This is a warranty item.

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
4ga? damn lol. 6ga is oversized for 50 amp so that’s good. 10ga ground is suitable for 60amp so that’s fine too (assuming it’s 10ga). The wire nut is fine (assuming it’s the correct size), he’s grounding the box (which should be grounded) as well as the outlet.
i guess you could use a plastic box instead. My metal box came with a grounding nut and a separate ground connection with pigtail for the outlet.
Futureproofing?

my electrician installed 6 awg for the live lines and 10 awg for the ground. Any concerns there?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Futureproofing?

my electrician installed 6 awg for the live lines and 10 awg for the ground. Any concerns there?
Since the title of this thread refers to a 14-50 receptacle outlet, I presume that’s what you have and your circuit is on a 50A breaker, there should be no concerns.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
What's the intention behind using the ground connector instead of going right from the ground wire to the outlet?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What's the intention behind using the ground connector instead of going right from the ground wire to the outlet?
If the receptacle is installed in a metal outlet box, some provision is required to ground the box.
Is that the context of your question?

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
If the receptacle is installed in a metal outlet box, some provision is required to ground the box.
Is that the context of your question?
Ah that's what I was missing. Mine is in a plastic box so we went straight to the outlet.

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
I converted our 30 amp dryer outlet to a 40 amp NEMA suitable capacity for the 32 amp Ford provided charger. In the process discovered the history behind old 30 amp dryer outlets that grounded to the dryer. Given that dryers are typically in utility rooms next to a washer and washers can leak water.. that turns a wet floor into a grounded current draw/electrocution risk. Thus new NEMA outlets ground directly to the panel which in turn is grounded to a deep ground rod (a tough copper alloy) pounded into the ground several feet.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
We appreciate any insight anyone can provide.

1. Nema 14-50 receptable with 25ft of 6 gauge wire connecting it to a…​
Ford Mustang Mach-E NEMA 14-50 Home Challenges 0DCF336B-6575-4384-AB57-B9330984A043
2. 50 Amp breaker made specifically for the panel​
3. We tested and verified 120 and 240 volt to the receptacle​
the picture of the breaker and L1, L2 looks ok.

Can't tell for sure on your receptacle, but the ground is undersize for sure and should be #8. Also, I do not see the L2 (blk 6AWG) at all... maybe its a bad angle since you are seeing voltage on both L1,L2 w voltmeter

The neutral is not used by chargers, but you 'should' have one running to receptacle in case you use that outlet for anything else that might require a neutral.

I suspect that the ground you have landed to the box does not have metal EMT all the way back from box to service... meaning it is not actually grounded, and for sure not grounded well with just awg12. You really need to pull #6 for L1,L2,N and #8 for ground.... all the way from service to receptacle.