DynamiteD

First Name
April
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD Rapid Red/Black Onyx
Country flag
We appreciate any insight anyone can provide.

1. Nema 14-50 receptable with 25ft of 6 gauge wire connecting it to a…​
Ford Mustang Mach-E NEMA 14-50 Home Challenges 1642221895512
2. 50 Amp breaker made specifically for the panel​
Ford Mustang Mach-E NEMA 14-50 Home Challenges 1642221940983
3. We tested and verified 120 and 240 volt to the receptacle​
Ford Mustang Mach-E NEMA 14-50 Home Challenges 1642221992908
Ford Mustang Mach-E NEMA 14-50 Home Challenges 1642221980545
4. We plugged in the Ford Supplied Control Box and the status light stays blue for 10 seconds and then the amber, blue, and red light all stay on.​
Ford Mustang Mach-E NEMA 14-50 Home Challenges 1642222090876
5. We tried the troubleshooting action according to the Mach E Manual by unplugging and re-plugging in the connector with no luck.​
6. We used the 120 V Plug to see if the control box was the issue and it stayed blue like it is supposed to. We were able to charge the car but long term this is not an option.​

Any suggestion on troubleshooting this issue? We contacted Ford and they directed us to the dealership. I am not confident in the dealership based on how they handled our financing the vehicle with the Ford Option plan. We are hoping someone may have a similar experience and know how to resolve it. If not, hopefully this post will be helpful to someone in the future.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I'm not sure. It does say in the troubleshooting section that you should wait 2-3 minutes to see if the unit recovers from the all colors lit state. I'm guessing you've already tried that, though.

You may have to take this up with a dealer. Perhaps a different one than where you purchased the vehicle.

Maybe one of the dealers has a Mach-E for sale and can bring over its mobile charger to test it on your outlet?

Or maybe you can find another 14-50 outlet to test your mobile charger? Many kitchen ovens use the 14-50, or maybe someone you know with an EV.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
We appreciate any insight anyone can provide.

1. Nema 14-50 receptable with 25ft of 6 gauge wire connecting it to a…​
2. 50 Amp breaker made specifically for the panel​
3. We tested and verified 120 and 240 volt to the receptacle​
4. We plugged in the Ford Supplied Control Box and the status light stays blue for 10 seconds and then the amber, blue, and red light all stay on.​
5. We tried the troubleshooting action according to the Mach E Manual by unplugging and re-plugging in the connector with no luck.​
6. We used the 120 V Plug to see if the control box was the issue and it stayed blue like it is supposed to. We were able to charge the car but long term this is not an option.​

Any suggestion on troubleshooting this issue? We contacted Ford and they directed us to the dealership. I am not confident in the dealership based on how they handled our financing the vehicle with the Ford Option plan. We are hoping someone may have a similar experience and know how to resolve it. If not, hopefully this post will be helpful to someone in the future.
It's hard to tell what is going on with your ground wire. The EVSE doesn't use the neutral wire, so it is critical that the ground circuit is wired correctly. Not to say the ground isn't always important, but we all have countless devices with two prong plugs.

ohmslaw

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander, Toyota Rav-4, Mach-e (on order)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Your ground connection is woefully undersized. Code is the ground can be one step down in gauge. It looks like your ground is 12 gauge; that should be 8awg. I doubt this is your issue though.

How old is your outlet? Has it seen repeated plug insertion/removal over its life?

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Maybe there is a forum member in the Dallas area who can let you try theirs or another brand of Level 2 to prove the outlet is good. I can ship/loan you one from Maine but it will cost you freight to and back. I would also verify continuity of the ground at the receptacle to ground at the panel . Also look to possibly upsize that ground or verify it’s the correct gauge.

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
It's hard to tell what is going on with your ground wire. The EVSE doesn't use the neutral wire, so it is critical that the ground circuit is wired correctly. Not to say the ground isn't always important, but we all have countless devices with two prong plugs.
The FMC shows solid amber for a grounding problem iirc.

You make good points, but that’s not the problem here, imo.

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Looks to me like you have the ground hooked to the neutral at the plug. Your pics aren’t real clear though. Neutral isn’t used but yet you are getting 120V between neutral and L1. Ground is the hole on top, not the bottom as the plug is installed.

Last edited:

debsahu

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 California Route 1 AWD
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
Not an electrician, but did my own installation. Ground is the top semicircle hole, which seems to be not connected. Recommended to use 8 gauge THHN copper wire, preferably with no pigtail.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I agree with the previous posts: verify you have a good ground connection, test your charger on another 240V outlet, and test your outlet with another charger (preferably another Ford one from the dealer). You might have a defective charger.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Not an electrician, but did my own installation. Ground is the top semicircle hole, which seems to be not connected. Recommended to use 8 gauge THHN copper wire, preferably with no pigtail.
It looks like the ground goes to the top (round bar) and cannot be seen, but the neutral goes down behind.

9F2D00FF-CA76-4C95-8EB7-4F144A913FA5.jpeg

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
All 3 lights on means it’s booting up. If if never leaves this state, chances are it has an internal fault. I would take it back to the dealer and tell them it needs to be replaced.

Hopefully the service manager and the finance guy are not the same person! ?

911roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e gt
Occupation
RN
Country flag
My bro installed mine I noticed you used a twist cone to tie wiring we used all straight connections without any splices. I believe they were 4 ga and connected the ground to the bus bar.I wouldn’t think any splices would be good for a 50 amp circuit

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
My bro installed mine I noticed you used a twist cone to tie wiring we used all straight connections without any splices. I believe they were 4 ga and connected the ground to the bus bar.I wouldn’t think any splices would be good for a 50 amp circuit
4ga? damn lol. 6ga is oversized for 50 amp so that’s good. 10ga ground is suitable for 60amp so that’s fine too (assuming it’s 10ga). The wire nut is fine (assuming it’s the correct size), he’s grounding the box (which should be grounded) as well as the outlet.
i guess you could use a plastic box instead. My metal box came with a grounding nut and a separate ground connection with pigtail for the outlet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DynamiteD

DynamiteD

First Name
April
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD Rapid Red/Black Onyx
Country flag
Your ground connection is woefully undersized. Code is the ground can be one step down in gauge. It looks like your ground is 12 gauge; that should be 8awg. I doubt this is your issue though.

How old is your outlet? Has it seen repeated plug insertion/removal over its life?
We bought the outlet this year for this application.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The Ford Mobile charger needs ground or it will not boot. It help protect the expensive electronics in the vehicle it is connecting to a very dirty grid.
Sponsored