Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
I watched the video where "industrial grade NEMA 14-50" plugs were catching fire because of lesser quality than the Hubbell connector. So I opted to replace mine with a Hubbell after 16 months of ownership. My original plug was installed by an electrician and has worked fine for 16 months.

To my surprise, when I went to pull out the original plug, it had only 3 wires. There was a ground and two black wires. Nothing was connected to the neutral connector where the white wire should go.

My question is: Do I need an electrician to come out again and install the neutral? Or can I just go along with the way it has worked since the beginning?
Sponsored

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
No

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
There are no EVSEs that use the Neutral wire, so itā€™s not necessary. It's really only necessary if you want to pull 115/120V out of the outlet. Thatā€™s highly unlikely since you will probably only use the circuit for the EVSE. Since EVSEs donā€™t use the neutral, I have wondered why so many manufacturers settled on the 14-50p on their units rather than the 6-50p. Toe-MAY-toe, toe-MAH-toeā€¦ šŸ˜ŠšŸ©

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The neutral line is only needed if the EVSE requires 120V as well as 240V, which I assume isn't typically necessary. I would say the EVSE you have (and probably the vast majority) don't need it.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
There are no EVSEs that use the Neutral wire, so itā€™s not necessary. It's really only necessary if you want to pull 115/120V out of the outlet. Thatā€™s highly unlikely since you will probably only use the circuit for the EVSE. Since EVSEs donā€™t use the neutral, I have wondered why so many manufacturers settled on the 14-50p on their units rather than the 6-50p. Toe-MAY-toe, toe-MAH-toeā€¦ šŸ˜ŠšŸ©
Probably because the 14-50 is much more prevalent

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Probably because the 14-50 is much more prevalent
But it wasnā€™t when I bought my EVSE. Back then, it was a pretty fair split between the two standards. Maybe they felt the ā€ovenā€ plug/receptacle were better suited than the ā€œwelderā€ plug/receptacle at some point. My 6-50r consumer-grade outlet has been just fine for nearly a decade though. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ©

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The EVSE doesn't need the neutral wire, but technically a 14-50 receptacle has to have a neutral connected by code. I wouldn't worry about the neutral if you know the outlet will only ever be used for an EVSE.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I believe an RV is a common example of something that will expect to find a neutral wire in a 14-50 outlet.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I think there will be a shift back towards 6-50 once 240V EV outlets are required in new houses by code. 6-50 saves some copper, and electricians are cheap bastards when it comes to new home wiring so they will do it to save a couple bucks.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
I guess the installation wasn't inspected by city otherwise they should have caught the missing neutral.
I suggest that you try have the original electrician come back run a neutral because their work does not meet the electrical code and they practically "cheated" you by saving wire cost.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I had my electrician wire my hardwired JuiceBox, and insisted they use 4 conductor wire. I have an unconnected neutral in my box, so I can connect a standard 4 conductor 14-50 in the future.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I think there will be a shift back towards 6-50 once 240V EV outlets are required in new houses by code. 6-50 saves some copper, and electricians are cheap bastards when it comes to new home wiring so they will do it to save a couple bucks.
LOL *I* am a cheap bastard. Perhaps because of my Asian Redneck Poodle upbringing. šŸ¤ŖšŸ©

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
But it wasnā€™t when I bought my EVSE. Back then, it was a pretty fair split between the two standards. Maybe they felt the ā€ovenā€ plug/receptacle were better suited than the ā€œwelderā€ plug/receptacle at some point. My 6-50r consumer-grade outlet has been just fine for nearly a decade though. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ©
But I believe it was certainly much more common in campgrounds (@JamieGeek can confirm that) and in general in homes for appliances - I can't say I've ever seen a 6-50 in person in any home/apartment I've been in, although that isn't a very large sample size. For point of reference I've redone the kitchen in both houses I've owned and worked for a time for my brother's general contracting business.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Itā€™s not a code violation to not have the neutral on a 14-50 unless there is another 14-50 on the premesis with a neutral. (Section 406.8 requires all configurations of an outlet to have interchangeability).

But itā€™s probably not a good idea.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
But I believe it was certainly much more common in campgrounds (@JamieGeek can confirm that) and in general in homes for appliances - I can't say I've ever seen a 6-50 in person in any home/apartment I've been in, although that isn't a very large sample size. For point of reference I've redone the kitchen in both houses I've owned and worked for a time for my brother's general contracting business.
14-50's are in campgrounds because the RV's that use them have two A/C's: Each wired to one leg of the 120V provided--they don't actually use 240V between the two hots.

When the electrician wired our house for an EVSE back in 2013 he did a 6-50.
Sponsored