Nerdy drivetrain / operation question dump.

Vance

First Name
Vance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Accord Hybrid
Country flag
Afternoon,

Right now I understand that the Mach E has the ability to enable/disable one pedal driving mode. I believe the regen force for one-pedal mode is the same no matter the drive mode you are in but right now that's basically all of my understanding around the system.

Question dump that I have been jotting down - mostly been thinking about this and mild googling hasn't been that helpful.

1. In non one-pedal mode - do you 'coast' when you lift - off the accelerator - like the Porsche Taycan? Or do you still experience some mild regen - albeit just at a much lower level than in one-pedal mode?

2. How much deceleration is there in one pedal or non-one pedal mode. Measured in negative Gs? anyone?

3. What is the maximum regen capability in optimal conditions (eg- 5kw? 10kw?)

4. I'm assuming max power input from regen and max deceleration may happen at different speeds - anyone know? IE - max decel is .2g until you reach 10kw and then decel decreases if you are at the 10kw limit? (made up numbers here)

5. When you are in lift-off decel in one-pedal mode - is that already maximum regen? Will braking increase regen? Up to what point? The max kw input level?

6. In regards to 'coasting' - if you balance your accelerator right at the point just before regen begins - are you in essence 'coasting' or moving with the least possible energy cost? Would putting it in neutral reduce motor losses while ' coasting' ?

7. Can the Mach E be tow charged? (watched this in the long way up with the Rivian prototypes - seemed like a cool feature)

8. I believe the Mach-E always blends braking / regen when using the brake pedal (unlike tesla where the pedal is mechanical only, regen is lift-off only, right?). Are there more details on how the blending on the Mach E works? Maybe in regard to the different options (awd or rwd, regular or extended batt?)

9. I have read many different things about the regen in the Mach E from reviewers ranging from its regen being light, to perfect, to aggressive. I have also read about the blended braking being fine, weird feeling, nice etc. Has anyone determined if there are marked differences between how the RWD vs AWD models regen? I would assume there is regen occurring on the front axle in the AWD model which may change how things feel but is it really done on the front axle of awd models?

10. One-Pedal - coming to a full stop. I have not experienced one-pedal braking before, never had an EV. I assume as you approach 0mph the deceleration lessens to provide a smoother stop. Anyone know how it actually happens? Is the stop pretty comfortable? I already drive like a limo driver as im basically shuttling the family everywhere and I like to try to be a smooth as possible. ** extra nerd points if someone has a deceleration curve plotted or something.

Bonus - as far as i know actual free wheeling / coasting is the more energy efficient method of slowing down on flat ground up to a certain speed (usually higher speeds where air resistance starts to play a bigger role). Does anyone know if thats the case with the Mach E - and what the breakover speed would be where coasting vs regening would change as the priority? I understand that downhill you basically always want to regen in order to maintain a safe speed and get nice bonus range.
Sponsored

Reactions: UW2

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
1-Pedal mode shifts the mapping of the accelerator.

Lets say with it off you get 0-100% acceleration.

When you turn 1-Pedal on it switches it to something like -20% - 0% to 100% so the top few degrees of the pedal gradually engage regen. It isn't all or nothing. So you can moderate the regen by how far you press the pedal.

If you want to coast with 1-Pedal on you have to find the 0% point (it isn't hard and you naturally find it pretty quickly).

Since nobody has a car yet (at least on here) a lot of your detailed questions can't be answered...

OP
OP

Vance

First Name
Vance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Accord Hybrid
Country flag
Interesting - i hadn't considered that some of the travel of the accelerator would be used for controlling regen. I'm going to assume that the less travel available for 0-100% isn't super noticeable but i would think it theoretically makes the pedal more sensitive.

I would guess the pedal isn't 100% linear - 20% press is probably more like 5-10% acceleration and as you get deeper into the pedal it goes up faster. I think that's how my Honda works now at least.

As long as i can a smoothly control the decel with just the single pedal I think i would be happy. I was thinking it might only regen when you are completely lifted.

Reactions: UW2

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting - i hadn't considered that some of the travel of the accelerator would be used for controlling regen. I'm going to assume that the less travel available for 0-100% isn't super noticeable but i would think it theoretically makes the pedal more sensitive.

I would guess the pedal isn't 100% linear - 20% press is probably more like 5-10% acceleration and as you get deeper into the pedal it goes up faster. I think that's how my Honda works now at least.

As long as i can a smoothly control the decel with just the single pedal I think i would be happy. I was thinking it might only regen when you are completely lifted.
Actually on the Mach-E there are 6 different mappings:
  • 1-P on Engaged
  • 1-P on Whisper
  • 1-P on Unbridled
  • 1-P off Engaged
  • 1-P off Whisper
  • 1-P off Unbridled
I doubt any of them are linear.

(Thinking about it there may be 12 different mappings depending on if the shifter is in D or in L as well--of course there may be more.)

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
(Thinking about it there may be 12 different mappings depending on if the shifter is in D or in L as well--of course there may be more.)
I could be remembering wrong and I'm too lazy to search, but I thought we had concluded on here that "L" implied 1P driving.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
I could be remembering wrong and I'm too lazy to search, but I thought we had concluded on here that "L" implied 1P driving.
Yes/no: L still has creep (e.g. in "L" the car will not come to a complete stop)--this is my assumption.

Granted the owner's manual doesn't mention if the car will come to a stop in "L":
Ford Mustang Mach-E Nerdy drivetrain / operation question dump. 1610494236320

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
And in one-pedal drive, I presume (otherwise it wouldn't be safe) that if you apply pressure on the brake pedal it will still brake...

Like for an emergency brake!!!

Silly question and I guess the answer is obvious but....

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
And in one-pedal drive, I presume (otherwise it wouldn't be safe) that if you apply pressure on the brake pedal it will still brake...

Like for an emergency brake!!!

Silly question and I guess the answer is obvious but....
Yup you can still use the brake as normal.

(You instinctively do so during a panic stop anyway.)

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
From what I remember.....
The regen strength seemed different in each of the 3 settings with 1 pedal turned off but I don't remember if there was a difference with 1 pedal enabled.
In normal mode (Engage), and 1 pedal turned off the vehicle felt quite normal. The regen strength is about the same as lifting off the accelerator in a ICE vehicle with automatic transmission. In Sport (Unbridled) mode it was more aggressive, like lifting off the accelerator in a manual transmission vehicle. In Comfort (Whisper) mode it was like throwing the transmission in neutral. There may have been some regen but it is hard to notice especially when compared to the sport mode.

I expect that I will spend most of my time in normal mode with 1 pedal turned off unless I am in heavy traffic then having 1 pedal turned on will help me from pedal fatigue (switching back and forth between the accelerator and brake like we have to do in an ICE vehicle....)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
7. Can the Mach E be tow charged? (watched this in the long way up with the Rivian prototypes - seemed like a cool feature)
Been watching "Long Way Up", perhaps?

Yes, it probably can. It works for Teslas, too ()
No it isn't recommended see pages 271-2 in the manual.
It might void the warranty.
No one has one to try it yet.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Braking feel will be similar to a current Ford hybrid. If you are not used to it, you will first describe it as "weird" or "stupid". After about a week, you will describe it as "perfect", pure blended braking magic.

When you first press the brake pedal, you get regen only. More brake pedal travel gives more regen braking, but it will not have increasing resistance like mechanical brakes. This gives new users that "weird" feel, like a extremely overboosted brake system. Touchiest brakes ever, lol.

When you press the brake pedal past the max regen point, you get mechanical braking kicking in, and you start to get that "normal" brake pedal feel, i.e. more pressure gives more braking. New users just naturally and immediately push past the regen braking and into mechanical braking, and this gives some abrupt braking. Takes a few tries to get used to it, but after that, you're good to go.

Hope this helps.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
10. One-Pedal - coming to a full stop. I have not experienced one-pedal braking before, never had an EV. I assume as you approach 0mph the deceleration lessens to provide a smoother stop. Anyone know how it actually happens? Is the stop pretty comfortable? I already drive like a limo driver as im basically shuttling the family everywhere and I like to try to be a smooth as possible. ** extra nerd points if someone has a deceleration curve plotted or something.
Start watching the review videos at https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/videos-compilation-mach-e-first-drive-reviews.2350/

At least a couple of videos show this in action. No plotted curves, though.

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
So we all know that when you have a car sitting for an extended period of time without being used, the brake discs get rusty... and if you do not use brakes (especially on manual trannies I found) on the "hard" side once in a while you often get rear discs that have areas of more intense deep in metal rust because the pads don't rub on them correctly.

So, on an electric car, the mechanical brakes get less solicited, so I presume that every time you go out for a ride, you should try to give your mechanical brakes a good "ride", to ensure that they remain at the best performance level possible, for whenever you get into a critical situation and you need all the braking power you have in an emergency stop!

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
So we all know that when you have a car sitting for an extended period of time without being used, the brake discs get rusty... and if you do not use brakes (especially on manual trannies I found) on the "hard" side once in a while you often get rear discs that have areas of more intense deep in metal rust because the pads don't rub on them correctly.

So, on an electric car, the mechanical brakes get less solicited, so I presume that every time you go out for a ride, you should try to give your mechanical brakes a good "ride", to ensure that they remain at the best performance level possible, for whenever you get into a critical situation and you need all the braking power you have in an emergency stop!
Really haven't had this issue either, especially on the Bolt.

I exclusively drive the Bolt around in 1-P mode and the brakes still get used enough to not get rusty (still hit the brake pedal when in reverse, GM says to put your foot on the brake at lights anyway, etc.).

Of course they are getting rusty now, not because of 1-P simply because it sits a lot more with no commute.

Another datapoint: Our RV sits for 6 months of the year and it has amazing brakes: stops on a dime for something that weighs 12k lbs. After the first drive of the season the brakes are fine.

Also note #2: Ford engineers have explicitly stated that even in 1-P the car will automatically engage the friction brakes to bring you to a stop. (As far as I know the Mach-E is the only EV that does this.)

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
I had a bad experience 3 years ago with our Honda Civic. Cars was 12 months old and less than 15,000km on it. We went on vacation for 3 weeks and when we came back the rear brakes were making this aweful noise when we drove it for the first time. So intense, I turned around and parked it back home and had it towed on roadside assistance.

Dealer said the read discs were so rusted that they had to replace them (under warranty!!!). He advised us to do hard brakings a few times a week to ensure theykeep their effectiveness! Maybe it's a Honda Civic issue also, who knows!
Sponsored