benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
As long as you don't have more than 5 BT devices connected at once you shouldn't have issues with PaaK causing interference. If you do go into developer options and increase the number of connections.
I just have the sync BT, PaaK, and the obd dongle. And PaaK breaks it consistently.

From what I can tell, it's something about how fordpass interfaces with BLE it breaks the connection for ABRP since it's using BLE also.
Sponsored

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Strange because BLE 4.x can support a total of 8 I believe and iPhones should handle up to 10.

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
OK. Does it update in real time? It shows connected to my reader and updated the data the first few minutes of my drive home, but then stopped. I suppose that could be a FordPass PaaK running problem?
What kind of phone do you use?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Mach-E has two (one for phone calls/media, one for PaaK), hearing aids (that's two more), Fitbit, insurance discount dongle, and now odb scanner.
How do you have the insurance discount and obd in the same obd port? Witchcraft?

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
How do you have the insurance discount and obd in the same obd port? Witchcraft?
The insurance thing doesn't go in the port. It just sits in the glove box. I don't know what it does, maybe just a signal to the phone to start recording when it's in range, because the phone has the GPS and accelerometer.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
The insurance thing doesn't go in the port. It just sits in the glove box. I don't know what it does, maybe just a signal to the phone to start recording when it's in range, because the phone has the GPS and accelerometer.
Ahh all the ones I've seen use the OBD port to see how fast you go, how hard you brake etc. I will never, ever have one of those. I would get an insurance raise.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ahh all the ones I've seen use the OBD port to see how fast you go, how hard you brake etc. I will never, ever have one of those. I would get an insurance raise.
Yeah that's what this does. Although I'm 90% certain State Farm doesn't use that in its calculations. It only looks at miles driven. But it does record and show you when you did that burnout...

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Yeah that's what this does. Although I'm 90% certain State Farm doesn't use that in its calculations. It only looks at miles driven. But it does record and show you when you did that burnout...
Nope. Never happening in my car either. I would rather have a higher insurance bill than be monitored like that.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Once ABRP is connected it updates in realtime. PaaK can definitely cause issues if it tries to connect while it's running. When I wanted to use the ABRP connection I'll force stop the fordpass app so paak will stop trying to connect.
Yeah something is wrong. Right now I'm very far away from the car and ABRP shows connected to the dongle. It updated once at the beginning of my commute and never updated again.

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yeah something is wrong. Right now I'm very far away from the car and ABRP shows connected to the dongle. It updated once at the beginning of my commute and never updated again.
You might try force closing ABRP. Sounds like something is hung in it with BT. I've seen that a few times as well, not just on this car.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You might try force closing ABRP. Sounds like something is hung in it with BT. I've seen that a few times as well, not just on this car.
Ok so I have it figured out.

1. it works fine for me now with FordPass/PaaK.
2. It stops working as soon as my phone screen goes off. So now I have to tell ABRP to route me somewhere (even though I don't need it to) in order for the phone screen to stay on.
3. Yes it did freeze up that one time and a force stop fixed it. I only test twice a day on my commute so I don't know how often this happens.

Do you find that you need to set the "Override car position" option?

OP
OP
benk016

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Ok so I have it figured out.

1. it works fine for me now with FordPass/PaaK.
2. It stops working as soon as my phone screen goes off. So now I have to tell ABRP to route me somewhere (even though I don't need it to) in order for the phone screen to stay on.
3. Yes it did freeze up that one time and a force stop fixed it. I only test twice a day on my commute so I don't know how often this happens.

Do you find that you need to set the "Override car position" option?
I haven't changed any options from the defaults on my setup. If it stops when your phone screen goes off, It may be some power management settings that are preventing it from running in the background.
Sponsored