New CarPlay vehicle integration in iOS 16 coming to the Mach-E?

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Apple just announced feature enhancements to CarPlay and I have to say it looks incredible. It allows deeper integration with the vehicle and spreads CarPlay across all screens in the car to have custom instrument clusters and infotainment options.

Ford is listed as one of the partners working with Apple to incorporate this into their vehicles. I'm curious if this will come to the Mach-E, we can already see that CarPlay can update multiple screens and have deeper information on the car such as battery levels and data.

I'm really excited to see this and what it means to for the Mach-E. Perhaps this is part of the update coming this fall that was said to have a new interface? That timeline matches the release of iOS 16 and this new version of CarPlay.

Ford Mustang Mach-E New CarPlay vehicle integration in iOS 16 coming to the Mach-E? 1654537676375

Ford Mustang Mach-E New CarPlay vehicle integration in iOS 16 coming to the Mach-E? 1654537695562

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I wonder if this is why they had on the road map a massive UI overhaul coming. It was going to line up with support of this.

WyldStallyn

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
Apple just announced feature enhancements to CarPlay and I have to say it looks incredible. It allows deeper integration with the vehicle and spreads CarPlay across all screens in the car to have custom instrument clusters and infotainment options.

Ford is listed as one of the partners working with Apple to incorporate this into their vehicles. I'm curious if this will come to the Mach-E, we can already see that CarPlay can update multiple screens and have deeper information on the car such as battery levels and data.

I'm really excited to see this and what it means to for the Mach-E. Perhaps this is part of the update coming this fall that was said to have a new interface? That timeline matches the release of iOS 16 and this new version of CarPlay.
As great as it looks, I’m pretty sure she said that actual implementation announcements would start to come next year.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
As great as it looks, I’m pretty sure she said that actual implementation announcements would start to come next year.
I would Love it if they were able to bring this to the current fleet of MMEs. Ford and Apple, as Bill & Ted would say, should be excellent to each other.

Applegirl2020

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Premium RWD ER Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
IT Project Coordinator
Country flag
Yeah, we won't hear anything specific until late 2023 unfortunately. However, being that the MME can get updated OTA, I still have hope that we will eventually see this amazing update!!

Also--this looked familiar lol
Ford Mustang Mach-E New CarPlay vehicle integration in iOS 16 coming to the Mach-E? Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 1.01.50 PM

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yeah, we won't hear anything specific until late 2023 unfortunately. However, being that the MME can get updated OTA, I still have hope that we will eventually see this amazing update!!
i have a little bit of optimism considering that CarPlay already populates Apple Maps directions on my instrument cluster and for those MMEs with the latest sync 4, CarPlay can even do EV route planning.

It would make more sense for the current Sync 4 fleet to do this level of CarPlay integration than say any of the future Google Android Automotive MMEs expected in 2023-24.

lukew

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E CR1 Red
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I don't know about other cars, but I certainly wouldn't accept IPC takeover in this one. 10% of the time when I get in my car, CarPlay just never connects, and trying to connect manually just fails forever. I usually have to restart Sync, my phone, or both when that happens. Just not a level of reliability I can accept for critical functions.

OP
OP
Mathington

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I'm hope there will be an option to choose the level of interface integration you would want showing on your screen.

OP
OP
Mathington

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag

Also--this looked familiar lol
Ford Mustang Mach-E New CarPlay vehicle integration in iOS 16 coming to the Mach-E? Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 1.01.50 PM
This is the screenshot that I was looking for as it seems to be a representation of what the Mach-E and Polestar/Volvo cars would look like.

I'm not a fan of the instrument cluster but there seems to be some customization. I wonder if this would require a wired connection or stick with wireless CarPlay. While my wireless CarPlay has been solid, I would hate to see what happens if you are using this new CarPlay interface and it loses connection.

hetgeleteken

First Name
Martijn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf Estate, Ford Mustang Mach-E AWD ER Lucid Red Tech+ reserved
Country flag
This looks awesome, would be great to have such a UI in the Mach E.

OP
OP
Mathington

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Ford does seem to be ahead of other car manufacturers in integrating CarPlay, so hopefully they bring this soon after the release of iOS 16

Applegirl2020

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Premium RWD ER Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
IT Project Coordinator
Country flag
Ford does seem to be ahead of other car manufacturers in integrating CarPlay, so hopefully they bring this soon after the release of iOS 16
I would love nothing more than for you to be right and for that to happen. However, based on Apple's phrasing during the keynote, it seems like the models that will be supported by this won't even be announced until late 2023. Again, I HOPE I'm wrong or that something changes. But, it seems like that is the timeline and this is just a really cool very early sneak peek.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
I would expect to see this level of integration coming to BMW first, 2024, but the potential is there for current MMEs to receive this (offloading processing to apple silicon devices would help) since Doug is now at Ford, so I would assume he was well aware of Apple's developments regarding their Car OS before he left Apple. Once Ford moves to Google Automotive I'd think it might be difficult for them to allow dynamic switching to a competitor- After all Polestar still doesn't even have CarPlay running yet.

Now having used a Polestar for almost a week I can say one thing, Ford would be making a mistake to only allow one tech company to dictate their in-vehicle experience. As it is now I prefer Ford's (some will argue less sophisticated) sw.

We also don't really know what's happening with Titan (or maybe this is it.) One also has to wonder if their standard late to the party strategy will be too late in this space (and if this early preview was an attempt to get the automotive sectors attention since they have been making moves with Google.)
Sponsored

Last edited: