New CarPlay vehicle integration in iOS 16 coming to the Mach-E?

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I hate to rain on the parade but I don’t see legacy car manufacturers like Ford to offer this on existing hardware. There are struggles with OTA updates to deliver simple bug fixes and I would expect a future new hardware platform be used to support the new CarPlay features, if they are supported at all.

Bottom line is there is no history for such major updates, even Tesla left behind early Model S unless new hardware was purchased.
Android Automotive (which Ford has pretty much said it's going to be using in its next infotainment) requires different hardware than we have running our MMEs, so yes, you'll need a new car for Android Automotive -- and probably for all of this CarPlay taking over the world stuff as well.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Holy crap, that IPC is positively disgusting.

HarryPotterEmmaWatsonGIF (2).gif
It’s different. I like analog gauges and instrumentation, but those aren’t quite what I had in mind. Hopefully whatever we end up with, either current or next ten, will be at least somewhat customizable.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I wonder how much development will be done on the MME sync 4 has a rapidly approaching expiration date. Ford had already announced that Google will be its next UI (new hardware required) however this all will play out in due time.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Looks awesome. No chance we see this in our Mach Es for at least another 3 years, if at all.

lwilliams0514

First Name
Lashawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Premium RWD
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Yeah, we won't hear anything specific until late 2023 unfortunately. However, being that the MME can get updated OTA, I still have hope that we will eventually see this amazing update!!

Also--this looked familiar lol
Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 1.01.50 PM.png
Yeah I think they showed this on purpose lol. If that is not a MME dash silhouette I don't know what is... lol

mluton

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Select
Country flag
I would love nothing more than for you to be right and for that to happen. However, based on Apple's phrasing during the keynote, it seems like the models that will be supported by this won't even be announced until late 2023. Again, I HOPE I'm wrong or that something changes. But, it seems like that is the timeline and this is just a really cool very early sneak peek.
That's my takeaway as well. The level of integration goes much deeper so updating existing models _probably_ isn't possible. Would love to be wrong though.

SuperRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White Premium Ext AWD
Country flag
We also don't really know what's happening with Titan (or maybe this is it.) One also has to wonder if their standard late to the party strategy will be too late in this space (and if this early preview was an attempt to get the automotive sectors attention since they have been making moves with Google.)
I don't think Apple was ever developing their own car. They did, however, need to be in deep enough to know what things they could do with CarPlay to make the driving experience better. The only way Apple would ever land on "We need to make a car" is if cars were so fundamentally flawed it was the only way to improve it. I don't think that's the case. But everyone would agree the software could be lightyears better. Apple likely just built their own prototype cars in order to test this deep CarPlay integration in secret.

Is this was Ford was signaling with their massive overhaul to the UI? I doubt it. But I'm not surprised we won't really learn more until late next year. Car makers don't exactly move quickly on this stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mathington

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I am sad to see that it won't be out until late 2023, I was hopeful we would see something later this fall.

Late 2023 means iOS 17, not iOS 16 that's launching this fall.
Sponsored