New CarPlay vehicle integration in iOS 16 coming to the Mach-E?

MBCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E AWD ER, Infinite Metallic Blue
Country flag
I don’t think this will ever come to the existing Mach E‘s.

But I would love it if it did.

(Hint hint hint hint @Ford Motor Company)
Sponsored

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Probably true, but it would be an interesting coup for Apple to get into cars without having to provide the vehicle OS, and running it on the device's faster processors, that can be continually updated, sounds like a great way to continually update an in-vehicle interface. Now that we know OTA may be limited to module updates in our Job 1, 2 cars once Ford moves to AA, this would be a fantastic development.

Allowing Apple to provide something for us early adopters that ford may not be able to (for financial reasons) after 2023 would be the coolest thing ever. Such a big IF though if the current vehicle will allow access, beyond output, to subsystems to a customer's device (I would be more optimistic if I saw more MME's under the Apple Park ring.)

I don’t think this will ever come to the existing Mach E‘s.

But I would love it if it did.

(Hint hint hint hint @Ford Motor Company)

MBCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E AWD ER, Infinite Metallic Blue
Country flag
… that can be continually updated, sounds like a great way to continually update an in-vehicle interface…
That was one of my favorite things about CarPlay in my 2016 Honda. As you can guess that car never got a single update in its life (though I could have purchased updated maps for $$$$).

Maps, Siri, Messages, and other things constantly improved the whole time I had that car. Because Apple was updating CarPlay.

I’d love to be able to use Siri for climate controls, but getting better Apple Maps views or other enhancements on the binnacle would be great.

andrew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium (ER, RWD, Rapid Red)
Country flag
I love my iPhone, and love using CarPlay, but I do not think Apple is demonstrating a quality UI here. These mock-ups are designed to look pretty first and foremost. They do not look functional.

Hiding all those climate control buttons is a menu is terrible. Those dashboard bubbles do not adequately focus attention on the right data points. Their best demo was the one that copied the C40 (speedometer on the left, map in the middle, and drive mode on the right)… but even then I wonder why the drive mode is a massive bubble. Great UI isn’t about curves and gradients — it’s about simplifying access to what the user needs. That’s not demonstrated here.

All that said, I think this is just to get the conversation happening. I’ll be interested in seeing the end result. This could be really neat.

Burnsy8787

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy volt
Country flag
I don't know about other cars, but I certainly wouldn't accept IPC takeover in this one. 10% of the time when I get in my car, CarPlay just never connects, and trying to connect manually just fails forever. I usually have to restart Sync, my phone, or both when that happens. Just not a level of reliability I can accept for critical functions.
I have just about the same failure rate but 90% of the time that my phone doesn't connect when I first start up, I just turn the car off, turn it right back on, and it comes up.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
That's one of the frustrating things with the AA implementation on the Polestar 2- it take a bit more effort to access some settings like climate compared to the way it is presented on the MME.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of this would require a wired connection for reliability sake. It seems like Apple had to show something finally to, as you say, get that conversation happening. For a partner like BMW I wouldn't doubt if they have been having one.

I love my iPhone, and love using CarPlay, but I do not think Apple is demonstrating a quality UI here. These mock-ups are designed to look pretty first and foremost. They do not look functional.

Hiding all those climate control buttons is a menu is terrible. Those dashboard bubbles do not adequately focus attention on the right data points. Their best demo was the one that copied the C40 (speedometer on the left, map in the middle, and drive mode on the right)… but even then I wonder why the drive mode is a massive bubble. Great UI isn’t about curves and gradients — it’s about simplifying access to what the user needs. That’s not demonstrated here.

All that said, I think this is just to get the conversation happening. I’ll be interested in seeing the end result. This could be really neat.

GABAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco
Country flag
Way to go Apple.
As usual, CarPlay is showing how it should be done.
Your move Android. 😂

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag
As seen from the iOS 16 preview site, this stuff won't see any cars till at least late 2023. So whatever becomes of the fate of Mach-E getting the capability will not be for a while.

Ford Mustang Mach-E New CarPlay vehicle integration in iOS 16 coming to the Mach-E? Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 2.28.03 PM

I am excited about for it on a long term perspective. It's also an encouraging sign to see Ford show up in the list of partners during the keynote for the feature. Having Mr. Park at Ford doesn't harm the situation either.

The advancement with this announcement is effectively data in realtime from an OBDC connector going directly to the iPhone. Imagine a world where you get the rich data from an OBDC, and you don't need to buy the dongle. Many opportunities pop in my mind… but I digress.

This display and human interface components are present for the entertainment panel. The dashboard panel display would be the unknown. While generated on the iPhone, the ability for a constant video stream from the iPhone to the dashboard panel is an open question. Possible, but I don't know if Job 1 or 2's hardware allows for the possibility.

The big questions to me are how this can be rolled into the fleet. Right now (for fully patched cars), there is status information communicated to iPhones when properly setup. Currently it's the battery life and average power consumption. This allows for Apple Maps to display an estimate of power levels at arrival and if you need to hit a station along the way. The fact this data is available right now makes me hopeful for more features down the road. We may not get the full custom dash, but we just might get more usefulness in the near future.

And to be clear, I am confident these will be open[ish] standards for cars. Today's marketing is all around Apple products, but just as Apple Car Keys is a marketing name for the Car Connectivity Consortium's Digital Keys, this dashboard feature set may be the Apple branding to a new set of standards.

So in all, nothing to act upon now, but I'm hopeful for the future.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I would expect the UI refresh (which you can see in some of the widgets etc) to come sometime within the next year to the existing CarPlay you can get in any car.

I would not expect the expansion of CarPlay to other screens until Ford next revamps its Sync infotainment.

This will probably line up with end 2023 and their replacement of QNX/QT software by Android Automotive as the underpinning of the OS and its native interface.

TLDR, around the mid-cycle refresh of the MME, you might find a native Android Automotive implementation of UI, with software that will allow CarPlay to take over the interface if the user connects their iPhone.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I would expect the UI refresh (which you can see in some of the widgets etc) to come sometime within the next year to the existing CarPlay you can get in any car.

I would not expect the expansion of CarPlay to other screens until Ford next revamps its Sync infotainment.

This will probably line up with end 2023 and their replacement of QNX/QT software by Android Automotive as the underpinning of the OS and its native interface.

TLDR, around the mid-cycle refresh of the MME, you might find a native Android Automotive implementation of UI, with software that will allow CarPlay to take over the interface if the user connects their iPhone.
(and to be clear, what I am saying here is that you're going to have to get a new MME after 2023 to get something like this experience).

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
I hate to rain on the parade but I don’t see legacy car manufacturers like Ford to offer this on existing hardware. There are struggles with OTA updates to deliver simple bug fixes and I would expect a future new hardware platform be used to support the new CarPlay features, if they are supported at all.

Bottom line is there is no history for such major updates, even Tesla left behind early Model S unless new hardware was purchased.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag