New Charging issues-only charges to 50-55% at home now?

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Friday evening charge report:

The car charged normally last night without any intervention from me.
I arrived at home around 10:40 and plugged in. Blah, blah,blah....got ready for bed at 11:11 pm and checked FordPass and it said "Waiting to charge". I refreshed per the instructions above and it said "Charging". I wasn't next to the car so I don't know if it just started charging at that moment or if It was already underway and the app was running behind. ??

The charge report from this morning says it started at 11:00 pm so I am going to believe it since I wasn't there to validate.

That being said. The charge log start and end times for previous sessions is way off. Not even close to the actual times so I don't know why FordPass is so bad with the charge log. One log actually says 311 miles of range was added overnight back on Wednesday. What FordPass giveth.....

Well, last night's charge log seems reasonably accurate at least.

Ford Mustang Mach-E New Charging issues-only charges to 50-55% at home now? Screenshot_20210515-121045_FordPass
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Does you car get driven daily?
Nope. Most weekdays I don't go out of the house, but at least once a week I do drive the 95 miles round trip to work and back. On Saturday or Sunday I'll intentionally take the Mrs somewhere just to get out of the house.

The car charged normally last night without any intervention from me.
I arrived at home around 10:40 and plugged in. Blah, blah,blah....got ready for bed at 11:11 pm and checked FordPass and it said "Waiting to charge". I refreshed per the instructions above and it said "Charging". I wasn't next to the car so I don't know if it just started charging at that moment or if It was already underway and the app was running behind. ??
To be sure the car is charging without you're waking it up with Fordpass, you could go to the car (without paak or fob on you) and look at the 5 segment LED on the car or the LED on your EVSE.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Nope. Most weekdays I don't go out of the house, but at least once a week I do drive the 95 miles round trip to work and back. On Saturday or Sunday I'll intentionally take the Mrs somewhere just to get out of the house.

To be sure the car is charging without you're waking it up with Fordpass, you could go to the car (without paak or fob on you) and look at the 5 segment LED on the car or the LED on your EVSE.
That makes sense. Your issue with the Grizz might just be a VREF issue then. Not much you can do other than drive your car more often. In theory, it shouldn't matter at all. VREF is historically very stable no matter the condition of the LVB. However, we have seen several exceptions with the MME so something unusual is going on and I am quite sure Ford is aware and working on the issue.

Yeah, I should have just walked outside to see what was happening but I was lazy. It is pretty warm here now so the car also makes noise when charging so thatbis another way to tell.

I am going to re-wire the ChargePoint Home Flex with a 60 amp circuit and start using that for the MME starting Sunday evening. This way I will almost always be able to reach my target level by 5 am.

Phxboiler

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy bolt
Country flag
So have you figured it out with the 11 pm settting? Iā€™m in AZ with same SRP plan to start at 11 pm. I canā€™t get it to start unless I go outside and unplug and replug in. It works immediately then but as I am normally asleep by then this doesnā€™t do me much good. The app says itā€™s going to start at 11 and finish by xx time in the am but it never starts without the manual unplug by me after 11.

I am going to try changing on the app to charge immediately and just schedule my juice box to 11-5 tonight and see if it works instead of my car owning the schedule.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
So have you figured it out with the 11 pm settting? Iā€™m in AZ with same SRP plan to start at 11 pm. I canā€™t get it to start unless I go outside and unplug and replug in. It works immediately then but as I am normally asleep by then this doesnā€™t do me much good. The app says itā€™s going to start at 11 and finish by xx time in the am but it never starts without the manual unplug by me after 11.

I am going to try changing on the app to charge immediately and just schedule my juice box to 11-5 tonight and see if it works instead of my car owning the schedule.
Last two evenings it has charged as expected. I never did figure out for certain what was causing the issue other than I appears to be related to FordPass. That first night the car started charging when I closed FordPass but the next night I only had to refresh it. Since then, it had been working normally.

Sorry I don't have a good solution. This is certainly frustrating. :(

Edit: now that I think about it.....the last two charging events has been to 100% so that is different then my normal setting of 90%. Tonight I will put it back to 90% and see if anything different happens. ???

Ford Mustang Mach-E New Charging issues-only charges to 50-55% at home now? Screenshot_20210518-052715_FordPass

Last edited:

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Update:
Successful charging every night since my last post. Resetting FordPass apparently resolved whatever was causing the issue in the first place. ???

On a related note. The car is actually pretty smart. Prior to today, I have been using my Aerovironment RS EVSE to charge the Mach-E. It is rated to deliver 32A. Arrived home this evening with 50% charge so the SYNC displayed the message saying it needed to charge outside the schedule. This is because the car would need 7.5 hours to charge back to 100% @32A and my charge schedule is 11 pm to 5 am (6 hours).

However, this time I plugged in my ChargePoint Home Flex @ 48A. The car immediately figured out it was connected to an EVSE that was 50% quicker and recalculated it now only needed 5.25 hours to reach 100% so it is now waiting until 11 pm to begin charging.

Will be interesting to see what happens around 11 pm.......Will post back. :)

Ford Mustang Mach-E New Charging issues-only charges to 50-55% at home now? Screenshot_20210526-211442_FordPass

Last edited:

nrevezzo

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Rapid Red SR RWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The scenario you described just happened to me last night. The car couldn't charge to 100% within the time I set, 10P-5A, so it started charging when I plugged it in at 7:30P. The FordPass app reported that it was charging. It then stopped charging when it got to about 50% at around 9P. The FordPass app said it would start charging at 10P; it didn't and I didn't bother to check. Only a 50% charge this morning.
Why? I don't know. This has worked in the past at times and not at other times. From now on when I'm in this scenario I'll be sure to check if it starts charging.

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The scenario you described just happened to me last night. The car couldn't charge to 100% within the time I set, 10P-5A, so it started charging when I plugged it in at 7:30P. The FordPass app reported that it was charging. It then stopped charging when it got to about 50% at around 9P. The FordPass app said it would start charging at 10P; it didn't and I didn't bother to check. Only a 50% charge this morning.
Why? I don't know. This has worked in the past at times and not at other times. From now on when I'm in this scenario I'll be sure to check if it starts charging.
So what the car tried to do is calculate if there is enough time to charge the car to your target level inside the schedule. The calculation the car makes is based on the known charge rate from the previous session. So, in your case, the 10p-5a wasn't enough time so the car should have given you a message on the SYNC screen stating it is going to charge outside the schedule. That message doesn't display until you power off the car so it's easy to miss. On my car it appears under the message asking about turning off the interior motion sensors.....

So, then you plug in and the car will usually start charging immediately. I say usually, because the car then communicates with the EVSE to verify the charge rate. If the machine confirms the same rate the car was expecting then it will start charging immediately and continue charging until it reaches the charge level where it then CAN fully charge inside the schedule. So, in your case that point must have been around 50%......so it stopped charging and waited until the scheduled time arrives to complete the charge.

The restart at the beginning of the schedule is the point where it hangs. Did it twice for me and once for you and there are some others here where it's probably happened as well. I think FordPass is what caused this. When it happened to me, there was also an update to FordPass and an OTA to the car. Maybe your FordPass updated recently and that caused the issue? Try force closing FordPass and then set an alarm around 10:15 to see if your car is charging. My guess is it will be charging just fine. Then open FordPass and all should be normal again.

For the first couple of months, I would leave FordPass turned off because it really didn't do much for me but now I use the remote start often so I just leave it on now. I get the constant message saying that Phone as a Key is trying to connect but it's not really that bothersome. At least the car charges and remote start works so that is something.....

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
FYI, when I went back through the charging logs it was meaningless: fordpass reports the "charging end time" as the same value as "unplug time". The ONLY charge I can confirm was slower than it should have been was the first one I mentioned when I actually watched throughout the day

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
FYI, when I went back through the charging logs it was meaningless: fordpass reports the "charging end time" as the same value as "unplug time". The ONLY charge I can confirm was slower than it should have been was the first one I mentioned when I actually watched throughout the day
yeah, it's hit and miss.
Sometimes it reports accurately. Sometimes it's way off.
Here is an accurate one.....
Ford Mustang Mach-E New Charging issues-only charges to 50-55% at home now? 1622158657421

Here is a crazy one.
Ford Mustang Mach-E New Charging issues-only charges to 50-55% at home now? 1622158735114

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The vehicle does not appear to remember the charge rate for each location. It appears it only remembers the rate of the previous L1/L2 charge irrespective of location.

I charged at work today at around 30A. Got home and the vehicle said it was going to charge outside the schedule because it's calculations were based on the 30A service. I even checked this by adjusting the target charge setting and sure enough, I had to lower it down to 50% in order for the vehicle to say it would begin charging at 11:00 pm.

Then plugged in the 48A service at home and was able to increase the target charge setting to 80% before the car wanted to charge outside the schedule again.

Just an FYI for those that are interested....

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Failed charge again last night. :mad:
This shouldn't be so hard. I have to admit, I never had any issues with any of my other plug in vehicles. This is first of 4 plug in vehicles that I have owned where I can't figure out how to get it to charge reliably.

I've looked for common issues that may be causing this. All I can think of so far are possible FordPass updates to the app (did we have an update recently) or maybe it's because I keep adjusting the maximum charge % limit? The message from FordPass is interesting......the vehicle isn't scheduled to charge until 11:00 pm. I wonder why it sent this message to me at 6:30 pm? Did it already know then that it was going to tank later that night? ?

Ford Mustang Mach-E New Charging issues-only charges to 50-55% at home now? 1623859719806

This isn't enough range to complete my day without making time to recharge. Luckily I have L2 at the office or I'd be screwed over by this. Well, I could stop at a DCFC Easily enough I suppose....

Ford Mustang Mach-E New Charging issues-only charges to 50-55% at home now? 1623859877636

OP
OP
SnBGC

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Update.
Apparently the ChargePoint Home Flex shuts down when it loses wifi connection. Arrived home and went to plug in and noticed the lights were dead on the EVSE. Went through the set up process again and it's now back online. This is going to be a problem for me if WiFi is required for the unit to function. CP will get a call in the morning.....

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Update.
Apparently the ChargePoint Home Flex shuts down when it loses wifi connection. Arrived home and went to plug in and noticed the lights were dead on the EVSE. Went through the set up process again and it's now back online. This is going to be a problem for me if WiFi is required for the unit to function. CP will get a call in the morning.....
Please post the results of that call, as I have a CP Home Flex on backorder. Thanks!
Sponsored