Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I wish I could take your advice, I really do, but there's nothing else for me to do until my vehicle arrives. It's literally the only thing in life I've got to look forward to until I can get the vaccine. So yeah, I'm sensitive to things like this.
I got the vaccine since I am over 65 years old. As for the Mach-E I can wait two more years.
Sponsored

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Ok fiiiiine. But, in the text at the end of the ad it states what they were implying, which was "lightning" vs "DCFC", not AC, despite what was shown.... But it's not the point I was trying to make anyway :p
Lightning is the strongest form of Direct Current. Ben Franklin was expermenting with it since he correctly deducted that the Leyden jars (the first capacitors) held a charge similar to lightning, so he developed the concept of polarity (positive and negative) where the jars (and clouds) stored positive charges, so direct current flows from positive to negative. But modern physics proved that he had the wrong concept, that electrons are negative according to his designation, and true current flows from negative to positive.

Last edited:

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Lightning is the strongest form of Direct Current. Ben Franklin was expermenting with it since he correctly deducted that the Leyden jars (the first capacitors) held a charge similar to lightning, so he developed the concept of polarity (positive and negative) where the jars (and clouds) stored positive charges, so direct current flows from positive to negative. But modern physics proved that he had the wrong concept, that electrons are negative according to his designation, and true current flows from negative to positive.
Very much correct!
But of course this entire commercial is a silly nonsensical comparison. Something tells me that trying to charge your car with 300 million volts of DC and 30kA wouldn't end well.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
I'm pretty genuinely offended at the Lightning ad. How hard could it possibly have been to get an actual DCFC cable in the shot? I just can't imagine how their ad firm could have been this ignorant and also why Ford didn't fire them and instead paid them for this misleading ad.

The rest of the ads are great. The Lightning one makes me viscerally angry.
Haha, I get it. But come on... these are marketing stunts. They're TV commercials, made overly dramatic and cinematic on purpose. They were never intended to represent strict factual accuracy aside from the claims in text about charging rate.
(news flash! TV commercials have been doing stuff like this for probably 70+years)

So laugh at it and move on (to waiting, like the rest of us :( ).

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I wish I could take your advice, I really do, but there's nothing else for me to do until my vehicle arrives. It's literally the only thing in life I've got to look forward to until I can get the vaccine. So yeah, I'm sensitive to things like this.
Friendly advice, if you are serious, consult a licensed therapist.

Most people could benefit from talking to one but most don't unfortunately.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Very much correct!
But of course this entire commercial is a silly nonsensical comparison. Something tells me that trying to charge your car with 300 million volts of DC and 30kA wouldn't end well.
1.21 jigawatts I believe.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Friendly advice, if you are serious, consult a licensed therapist.

Most people could benefit from talking to one but most don't unfortunately.
Not to get too far OT (remember - rockets, space lasers, and velociraptors) but therapists are a lot like realtors, lawyers, pretty much a lot of professions. There are some good ones, and a lot of crappy ones. Can be tricky to find a good one.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
The 30 second spot of these commercials has showed up at least twice tonight on NBC primetime.

This one:
Sponsored