Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Leaked images show Ford is soon releasing a new software-only fix for stuck contactors on the Mustang Mach-E. The updated software allows owners to unstick overheated contactors themselves with a push of a button, rather than requiring a trip to a dealer.

Ford Mustang Mach-E New Fix for Stuck Contactors Unstick Contactor SYNC

Reportedly, tapping an option on the control screen will send a message to the FSCM to buzz the contactors with a special unsticking waveform for five seconds. The contactors will then become operational again until the next drive cycle. “We’re excited to release this update to restore complete customer satisfaction and confidence in the Mach-E” says an unidentified source. “The final fix for the issue is now just a simple button press instead of having to go to a dealer for replacement parts, which is a win-win for everyone involved”.

The latest software will also intelligently limit power down to 5% so the original HVBJB will probably never need to be replaced. “The goal was to keep customers moving at all costs, we think we’ve achieved that through our software excellence.” Customers may notice reduced speeds on city streets and highways when the software is working, but it will ensure a minimum speed of 15 MPH is always available. “People will still be able to get where they need to go, it might just take a little longer.”

Local dealers were elated with the news, saying they’re glad they won’t have to deal with disgruntled, stranded Mach-E owners anymore. “When they come in, we usually just clear the codes and send the customer on their way, hoping the stuck contactor will resolve itself. If the customer didn’t make it out of the parking lot, we’d pretend to be booked for two months so they would get towed to a different dealer. Now the software can fix them so we don’t have to deal with it. Just don’t ask us to update your car, we don’t really know how.”

Mach-E owners can expect the “23-PU0666-USK-CTR” over-the-air update to occur sometime between Q4 2023 and Q2 2025.

The source also thanks early 2021 and 2022 Mach-E owners for their participation in the ongoing HVBJB beta test program that allowed this new software to be developed. Upon successful completion of the test program (denoted by a “Stop Safely Now” message on the instrument cluster), your dealer will replace your HVBJB completely free of charge, and you will receive a complementary beta tester t-shirt as a reward for your willing participation:

Ford Mustang Mach-E New Fix for Stuck Contactors HVBJB Tee Front
Ford Mustang Mach-E New Fix for Stuck Contactors HVBJB Tee Rear

Ha, happy April Fools everybody! This isn't a real software update. It's been a long year of ongoing HVBJB issues. But in all seriousness, let's give thanks to those people that have helped folks get their HVBJB issues resolved, including some dedicated Ford employees.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Interesting they went with the software fix. I'd heard they were looking to install a mechanical system to kick it loose. Perhaps the speed-rated mechanic's dolly and ball peen hammer combination was cost prohibitive so they went with a software solution instead.

Not sure why they don't just trigger it automatically. Must be how they comply with Ford Diagnostics Procedures Step #1: Jiggle it. If it works now, mark issue as resolved and return vehicle to customer.

A kick panel under the driver's floor mat would be a better activator, though. Higher customer satisfaction ratings too- kicking a horse always makes it go faster, and just makes people happy.

I want my t-shirt.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I want one of those shirts! If someone on the forum want to get some made, I will buy!

Lee, you had me going until I got to the dealer part. I was a fool until then.

OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I want one of those shirts! If someone on the forum want to get some made, I will buy!

Lee, you had me going until I got to the dealer part. I was a fool until then.
So you made it past "limit power to 5% / 15 MPH" just fine? 😆

Hmm, we might have to make the t-shirt a real thing...

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
That was when I started laughing.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
So you made it past "limit power to 5% / 15 MPH" just fine? 😆

Hmm, we might have to make the t-shirt a real thing...
When I got to that part, I was thinking about what a crappy solution it really was and how I was to complain about how it would never work. And how could they say it was a final fix? I can see it being a temporary fix to get the contractor temporarily working, but a permanent fix? No way.

So yes, you got me!

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Yep, I'm in for a shirt or three. đŸ€ȘđŸ©

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I knew right away it couldn’t be real

headline was “new fix”

Ford stopped trying to fix old cars when software was announced and they installed new parts in new cars starting 5/28/22.

they just don’t care enough.

t shirt is great idea. People should get the same number of shirts for failed HVBJB. Or at least be able to change the number on their shirt.

#1, #2 etc