New here - looking for advice on what to order

StillWaitingForMachE

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 IBSM ER AWD California Rt 1 MME (Mike-E)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Hey everyone, new here and looking for some advise.

So, I've been driving a 2009 Toyota Corolla for the last 4 years as an economical commuter (approx 60 mile round trip), with the plans to one day buy myself a fun car to replace it with. I've been saving up side hustle money for a few years now and have $10k to put down, and I was initially looking at a 2018-19 C7 Corvette, but the fact that I have two young kids (3 & 5) in car seats, the massive premium those are going for again on the used market, fuel costs etc. the wife has veto'd that plan. In researching other options, I kept coming across the MME, and was able to find a base model to sit in and test drive the other day, and I'm sold. Not only will it save us on gas, have size/seats for the kids, but the looks and performance of an EV in general, but especially a GT model will "scratch that itch" for a sports car, until one day I can get a (hopefully then a C8) Corvette as its still my dream car.

With all of that said, I plan to put in an order next month when the 2023 models open up, and here is what I'm struggling with and would love some advice. Premium vs GT???

I want the GT for the obvious performance numbers since again this is my "sports car." I also love the color match fenders, faux grill, light up pony, bolstered seats, wider tires, lower stance, and the grabber blue with the red brake calipers looks beautiful. Hate the GT wheels, and wish I could get the GTPE ones instead but I'll probably put aftermarket ones on anyways, add a dark tint and call it a day. (see attached pic of wheels I found - its a Premium model though I think)

However, the GT is definitely pushing my budget, and finding out that the GT doesn't come with the 360 pano camera system, glass roof or driver assist tech etc without upgrades, I feel like I could get a Premium model with all the bells and whistles and be just as happy, especially coming from a Corolla haha.

Since the website won't let you configure anything right now I'm struggling to understand the price points once you add the features, hence this post.

So if I were to go Premium route (base: $49k rounded up) what does the price come out to with the glass roof, 360 pano cameras, front sensors, and driver assist? How much more is the GT to add those features? I honestly am not sure I even want the glass roof, but I thought I read it is packaged with the technology package for driver assist. What other features would you suggest is a must?

My monthly payment budget is $1k/mo (what we are currently budgeted for/paying for our existing vehicle which will be paid off in a couple months - however, the payment is only $587/mo the rest goes to paying it off faster / having funds for tires, repairs etc.) so I need to stay within that amount and of course, ideally I don't max it out so I can have a little buffer room for things like tires, and repairs. Although one could argue gas savings, fewer moving parts for maintenance costs, and a warranty would "cover" most of that concern. I will likely be able to come up with another $5-7K in the time I'll wait for the order to be built to add to the down payment as well, but of course there's also tax, title, license to account for. I guess I'm just struggling to pay close to $70k ish out the door for any car.

So with all of that said, what do you all think? Thanks in advance!

maxresdefault.jpg
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this yet, but make sure you've got money allocated to do any electrical work you might need done to charge at home. That may or may not include $600 or so for a charge box.
My electrical work was $1450, but you may not spend as much as me, because in my case I added a subpanel in my garage, a submeter, and a 14-50 outlet, and my main electrical panel was on the other side of my house from the garage.

But still, definitely something to consider unless you're lucky enough to already have a 14-50 outlet in your garage.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So yeah I've been searching (not heavily as I was planning to order) within 200 miles of Portland zip code and not much is coming up, and everything that is, is either "on order" or $68k and up with all the markups. I'll keep looking though.
I was trying the same thing using Ford dot com inventory search 200 mile radius, all $10k markups (or $8k for SR battery) once you open the dealership and contact them. BUT the ones on Ford dot com also include orders (green sticker) that were canceled but ALREADY spoken for so there are even less hits.

We worked with 1 sales person at each of the 2 nearby dealerships to get on their list for when orders are canceled. It's basically the only way to get up to minute info on whether the car is ACTUALLY available, they just go down their call list. And around here none of them (Premiums) even make it into the sales lot, they get off the truck and were already doing PDI and spoken for so it took forever to even have one we could TEST drive!

Good luck, man. I'm more and more thinking getting one NOW with ADM was actually cheaper than ordering Aug15 and waiting 3-4 quarters and losing rebate (down to $1875). I didn't realize the Premium ER's have the longest wait of all configs.

OP
OP
West1134

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium AWD, ER,06 Duramax,16 Acadia Denali
Country flag
I was trying the same thing using Ford dot com inventory search 200 mile radius, all $10k markups (or $8k for SR battery) once you open the dealership and contact them. BUT the ones on Ford dot com also include orders (green sticker) that were canceled but ALREADY spoken for so there are even less hits.

We worked with 1 sales person at each of the 2 nearby dealerships to get on their list for when orders are canceled. It's basically the only way to get up to minute info on whether the car is ACTUALLY available, they just go down their call list. And around here none of them (Premiums) even make it into the sales lot, they get off the truck and were already doing PDI and spoken for so it took forever to even have one we could TEST drive!

Good luck, man. I'm more and more thinking getting one NOW with ADM was actually cheaper than ordering Aug15 and waiting 3-4 quarters and losing rebate (down to $1875). I didn't realize the Premium ER's have the longest wait of all configs.

Yeah, I mean I'm definitely late to this game so to speak, looking for a popular vehicle at the end of its tax credit etc. I think my plan is to order a 2023 no matter what, configured the way I want and just wait. Then in the coming months I'm going to keep trying to find one to acquire now, get the biggest tax credit, and enjoy until the order comes through. If the one I can find now (if that happens) is a keeper, I'll release my order, or possibly trade in what I find now and take the 2023 depending on price etc.

We'll see how things go.

OP
OP
West1134

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OK, so I actually found a 2021 MME Premium up in Seattle (2.5hrs North) for $62,991. Only has 830 miles on it, has had the factory recall done for the glass roof taken care of, and all the features (less the ER battery) that I would have configured it with (360 pano camera, power lift gate, glass roof, etc).

With the prices of 2023 models going up. And me losing out on most of, if not all the tax credit when a 2023 model finally got to me. What are people's thoughts on me driving up and jumping on this car tomorrow? I can put $10k down, and trade in the 2009 Corolla as well.

I haven't seen anything available in my area for a premium, and there is only one Select available for $59k so the Premium for $62,991 seems like a good deal (although I do think the Select is a 22 model and this is a 21, but again only 830 miles).

Thoughts?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
OK, so I actually found a 2021 MME Premium up in Seattle (2.5hrs North) for $62,991. Only has 830 miles on it, has had the factory recall done for the glass roof taken care of, and all the features (less the ER battery) that I would have configured it with (360 pano camera, power lift gate, glass roof, etc).

With the prices of 2023 models going up. And me losing out on most of, if not all the tax credit when a 2023 model finally got to me. What are people's thoughts on me driving up and jumping on this car tomorrow? I can put $10k down, and trade in the 2009 Corolla as well.

I haven't seen anything available in my area for a premium, and there is only one Select available for $59k so the Premium for $62,991 seems like a good deal (although I do think the Select is a 22 model and this is a 21, but again only 830 miles).

Thoughts?
Since you listed that plan of this one perhaps being "temporary" until your ordered one comes in, you may need to jump on it! But you COULD try what worked for me - find your 2 largest dealers and get on their cancel list. The dealerships here are getting a steady trickle of machs and many are canceling because the customers took other makes or had multiple orders, etc (in California no downpayment is required or it is fully refundable anyway). Until it is released it won't show up in your online searches, but the dealerships know....

OP
OP
West1134

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Since you listed that plan of this one perhaps being "temporary" until your ordered one comes in, you may need to jump on it! But you COULD try what worked for me - find your 2 largest dealers and get on their cancel list. The dealerships here are getting a steady trickle of machs and many are canceling because the customers took other makes or had multiple orders, etc (in California no downpayment is required or it is fully refundable anyway). Until it is released it won't show up in your online searches, but the dealerships know....
Yeah I think it might be worth jumping on, and I will still place an order for a 2023. Kinda gives me the best of both worlds. I can have a MME now, a Premium one at that, which has all the bells and whistles I would order anyways, plus take advantage of the full tax credit. Then in a year or so, I can assess once the 2023 comes in and either release it, trade this one in on it, etc. I just feel like I'm missing something big as it wasn't my intent originally to jump on one so quickly.

Your suggestion of finding dealers who can keep me on the list for cancelled orders isn't a bad one. However, with prices being what they are, I wonder if I could get a cancelled order for anywhere near this price point...speculation of course. Plus this one checks all the boxes of what i would order anyways, just not the exact color.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

Thoughts?
Hang on, this is a '21 with 830 miles on it? So it is used/pre-owned? I don't believe you get the tax credit being the 2nd owner...

I scanned ford inventory around Seattle and can't find a Premium SR so maybe that is why (pre-owned?). I wanted to see if it was less than $8k ADM over sticker since that was what all the dealers here seem to have colluded on for SR battery versions.

OP
OP
West1134

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hang on, this is a '21 with 830 miles on it? So it is used/pre-owned? I don't believe you get the tax credit being the 2nd owner...

I scanned ford inventory around Seattle and can't find a Premium SR so maybe that is why (pre-owned?). I wanted to see if it was less than $8k ADM over sticker since that was what all the dealers here seem to have colluded on for SR battery versions.

Yeah I missed that it didn't apply for tax credit. Passing on that deal. I did expand my search East, and found a dealer in Pasco offering a 22 Premium for $63k with the ER battery, so I msg'd them and will see what they respond with. Thanks again for the feedback all. Got too excited haha. HOWEVER, the positive of this little experience here is I had a full convo with my wife and she was on board with me driving up there and buying it tomorrow, so I have the green light to jump when one does come available.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
As someone with a Premium SR, I'm perfectly happy with it. I used to track cars as well and honestly, unless that's your thing at this point in your life (very hard with kids, whole day used, etc), I simply value the $$ more than the performance. With the 5 sec GT limiter and probably honestly not trackable all day, I didn't see the point (for me of course).

I don't drive much neither so do what makes sense for your situation. My spouse/me are very happy with the Premium SR. You won't miss the $$ if you're loaded, but I'd rather spend that on lots of other toys.

Keeping an eye on the Macan right now and assume Porsche won't have those limiters if you want track use.

Cjpayne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Ford Mach E GT. 69 Mustang Convertible, 15 MKX
Occupation
General Manager in manufacturing
Country flag
I love my GT and I have never ridden in another trim. On smooth roads the ride is awesome. I will say on rougher roads you notice the roughness. Not intolerable and I am used to a firmer, sports car ride. It is the best car I have ever had the pleasure of using for a daily driver!

intoMME

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD Select w/Tech Pkg. Infinity Blue
Country flag
I am totally happy with my Select AWD with tech package. If my car got stolen, I would buy the same one again. I did not like the pano roof at all. SoCal is too sunny and hot for it, in my opinion. With dual motors, it is plenty fast. You can save a lot and get yourself bigger wheels and tires, at he expense of some range. Who cares about range if you are not using it all up in your daily drive, anyway? Just ordered my daughter a Mini Cooper SE with 114 miles of range, and my other daughter has a Leaf with 149 range. If you can find a dual motor with standard battery, test it out and see what you think. I was really happy with mine compared to the first one I tested, which was a RWD CA Route 1.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Hey everyone, new here and looking for some advise.

So, I've been driving a 2009 Toyota Corolla for the last 4 years as an economical commuter (approx 60 mile round trip), with the plans to one day buy myself a fun car to replace it with. I've been saving up side hustle money for a few years now and have $10k to put down, and I was initially looking at a 2018-19 C7 Corvette, but the fact that I have two young kids (3 & 5) in car seats, the massive premium those are going for again on the used market, fuel costs etc. the wife has veto'd that plan. In researching other options, I kept coming across the MME, and was able to find a base model to sit in and test drive the other day, and I'm sold. Not only will it save us on gas, have size/seats for the kids, but the looks and performance of an EV in general, but especially a GT model will "scratch that itch" for a sports car, until one day I can get a (hopefully then a C8) Corvette as its still my dream car.

With all of that said, I plan to put in an order next month when the 2023 models open up, and here is what I'm struggling with and would love some advice. Premium vs GT???

I want the GT for the obvious performance numbers since again this is my "sports car." I also love the color match fenders, faux grill, light up pony, bolstered seats, wider tires, lower stance, and the grabber blue with the red brake calipers looks beautiful. Hate the GT wheels, and wish I could get the GTPE ones instead but I'll probably put aftermarket ones on anyways, add a dark tint and call it a day. (see attached pic of wheels I found - its a Premium model though I think)

However, the GT is definitely pushing my budget, and finding out that the GT doesn't come with the 360 pano camera system, glass roof or driver assist tech etc without upgrades, I feel like I could get a Premium model with all the bells and whistles and be just as happy, especially coming from a Corolla haha.

Since the website won't let you configure anything right now I'm struggling to understand the price points once you add the features, hence this post.

So if I were to go Premium route (base: $49k rounded up) what does the price come out to with the glass roof, 360 pano cameras, front sensors, and driver assist? How much more is the GT to add those features? I honestly am not sure I even want the glass roof, but I thought I read it is packaged with the technology package for driver assist. What other features would you suggest is a must?

My monthly payment budget is $1k/mo (what we are currently budgeted for/paying for our existing vehicle which will be paid off in a couple months - however, the payment is only $587/mo the rest goes to paying it off faster / having funds for tires, repairs etc.) so I need to stay within that amount and of course, ideally I don't max it out so I can have a little buffer room for things like tires, and repairs. Although one could argue gas savings, fewer moving parts for maintenance costs, and a warranty would "cover" most of that concern. I will likely be able to come up with another $5-7K in the time I'll wait for the order to be built to add to the down payment as well, but of course there's also tax, title, license to account for. I guess I'm just struggling to pay close to $70k ish out the door for any car.

So with all of that said, what do you all think? Thanks in advance!

maxresdefault.jpg
Just seeing this post. What you really want is the 2014-2017 Corvette 4 door sedan, right? 😉
Ford Mustang Mach-E New here - looking for advice on what to order A7C110CF-987B-44BA-A6FB-07A2AEF53CE3

OP
OP
West1134

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just seeing this post. What you really want is the 2014-2017 Corvette 4 door sedan, right? 😉
Ford Mustang Mach-E New here - looking for advice on what to order A7C110CF-987B-44BA-A6FB-07A2AEF53CE3
According to my wife, I do haha. If the C7 came in a 4dr model (I kinda cringe to imagine what that would look like) perhaps it could be a contender. While there are some other "sporty" options out there now that I've opened the box on getting into an electric, and have the blessing of my wife to show up in a MME at any moment should I find one locally within our budget, that I where I'm keeping my sights set. I'm pretty confident I'll enjoy the snot out of it for a few years, it'll be way more fun / cooler than my Corolla I have now, and once the kids are out of car seats perhaps I can approach the Corvette concept again.

Nice car BTW!!

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
According to my wife, I do haha. If the C7 came in a 4dr model (I kinda cringe to imagine what that would look like) perhaps it could be a contender. While there are some other "sporty" options out there now that I've opened the box on getting into an electric, and have the blessing of my wife to show up in a MME at any moment should I find one locally within our budget, that I where I'm keeping my sights set. I'm pretty confident I'll enjoy the snot out of it for a few years, it'll be way more fun / cooler than my Corolla I have now, and once the kids are out of car seats perhaps I can approach the Corvette concept again.

Nice car BTW!!
Sounds smart. Check out the Polestar 2 with the Peformance Upgrade pack. 476hp dual motor and range has now been upped to 260 iirc. Edmunds got 288 out of the ‘22 that was rated at 249. It has Brembos and manually adjustable Ohlins dampers. Good stuff if you’re already the type wanting a Vette.

Mike Curtis

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Acura RSX Type S, 2011 Honda Element AWD EX
Occupation
consultant and specialty camera operator
Country flag
I'm selling both my kid & stuff hauler (2010 Honda Element) and The Fun Car (2002 Acura RSX Type S) to go towards a Mach E Premium to cover both wants. I originally set out to just get a new Fun Car, but then started feeling electric was the way to go, and ended up ordering a Mach E Premium AWD ER. It depends on what you consider "fun" - straight line performance, looks, or twisty road handling? For Dad Level Fun, I figure the Mach E as configured will be fine for me - with AWD and ER (extended range), that is 0-60 in 4.7 Definitely not Corvette fast or Corvette handling, but quite a bit of OOMPH off the line. Base 2018 C7 0-60 I found was 4.2s, so Premium is a half second behind it, but still in the ballpark of, say, a base Boxster. And it won't handle like a C7, because, lets face it - SUV. It doesn't look as good, either. BUT...it'll be a very reasonable amount of fun, shove-you-into-your-seat-off-the-line smile inducer, WHILE you can tote your kids around and put a a bunch of groceries in the front and back. Or take all your goodies on a road trip. And have fun while the kids are with you. These are things I value as a Dude and a Dad, and you might feel the same (or not). One note - there's a bunch of ways to configure a Mach E, and the battery size and AWD make a BIG difference in performance and range. If Premium and you want it to be fun/fast, DEFINITELY get the AWD and extended range battery, even though it'll cost you an extra $6-$10K (I don't recall the pricing and who knows what it'll be in August). Those are my thoughts/advice from someone in a similar situation (I have one 9 year old).
Sponsored