New Jersey Mach E buyers.. Anyone gotten the Ford 5K Certificate yet?

nanohead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME, 23 Lightning ER
Country flag
Been looking forward to our new Mach E, but it has been a super convoluted and confused journey so far, and it looks like its going to get even more bizarre.

Ordered Dec 4 last year. Got build date May 26 finally.

NJ EV program ran out of money EOY 20, so tough luck for all NJ buyers of MME.

Ford then announces the right thing, which is IT will step in and cover the 5K that the NJ program offered.

BUT, the big but? No one really knows if that's 5K of MSRP, or simply 5K off the sticker.

If its 5K off MSRP, then no sales tax. If its 5K off the total, then it barely covers the sales tax and is net zero in many cases

My paint selection (like many others) pushed our MSRP a few hundred over the 55K NJ limit..

Any fellow NJ MME buyers here deal with this yet?
Sponsored

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Been looking forward to our new Mach E, but it has been a super convoluted and confused journey so far, and it looks like its going to get even more bizarre.

Ordered Dec 4 last year. Got build date May 26 finally.

NJ EV program ran out of money EOY 20, so tough luck for all NJ buyers of MME.

Ford then announces the right thing, which is IT will step in and cover the 5K that the NJ program offered.

BUT, the big but? No one really knows if that's 5K of MSRP, or simply 5K off the sticker.

If its 5K off MSRP, then no sales tax. If its 5K off the total, then it barely covers the sales tax and is net zero in many cases

My paint selection (like many others) pushed our MSRP a few hundred over the 55K NJ limit..

Any fellow NJ MME buyers here deal with this yet?
What sales tax are you talking about? There is none in NJ for EV's no matter what.

From what I have seen, it's a 5K credit off the final sale at time of signing the paperwork. It's like any other credit that is part of the deal.

OP
OP

nanohead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME, 23 Lightning ER
Country flag
Wow, I guess what I read was incorrect, and might've been misinformed by the dealer. I had thought that if the price was above the 55K threshold for the EV credit, then it was subject to sales tax.

I just found the page on the NJ division of taxation and thankfully you are correct!!! Thanks so much. Glad to be wrong on this one...

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
My (NJ) MME arrives around May 22 and I've been talking to my Dealer about paperwork (Options pricing, etc.). They said I would get the $5k credit and showed me this:
Ford Mustang Mach-E New  Jersey Mach E buyers..  Anyone gotten the Ford 5K Certificate yet? 1620309265782

Awaiting to see if it comes off at time of purchase - think so but not sure.
As stated - no sales tax in NJ.
Also, nanohead - that paint selection is going to cost you an extra $5k. The MSRP limit (not including delivery fee) is a hard $55k. A penny over $55k and you lose the $5k NJ incentive.

OP
OP

nanohead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME, 23 Lightning ER
Country flag
My (NJ) MME arrives around May 22 and I've been talking to my Dealer about paperwork (Options pricing, etc.). They said I would get the $5k credit and showed me this:
Ford Mustang Mach-E New  Jersey Mach E buyers..  Anyone gotten the Ford 5K Certificate yet? 1620309265782

Awaiting to see if it comes off at time of purchase - think so but not sure.
As stated - no sales tax in NJ.
Also, nanohead - that paint selection is going to cost you an extra $5k. The MSRP limit (not including delivery fee) is a hard $55k. A penny over $55k and you lose the $5k NJ incentive.
Thanks. The dealer told me yesterday that I did have the 5K certificate, but now I have to confirm. This is all quite convoluted

OP
OP

nanohead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME, 23 Lightning ER
Country flag
Was just told by the dealer that my car DOES in fact have the $5K certificate on it. My MSRP is $55,300 (does not include D&D).

I just looked at your post, and I wonder if I got that "Mustang Mach E Reservation Dealer Cash Certificate Program" in for my car. If so, and I also got $500, then it puts me handsomely under the 55K!

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Wow, I guess what I read was incorrect, and might've been misinformed by the dealer. I had thought that if the price was above the 55K threshold for the EV credit, then it was subject to sales tax.

I just found the page on the NJ division of taxation and thankfully you are correct!!! Thanks so much. Glad to be wrong on this one...
and to add to what Machefan said, you also do not get an inspection sticker, NO inspection needed for a bev in NJ (I mentioned this on the other forum, sorry to repeat if you read it already)

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Wait what is this $5000 NJ credit? Is this new? I thought it ran out and won’t resume until later this year.
What are my options if I buy one off the lot?

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I looked up my state, NC.

Considering that my RE taxes for 3.5 acres and 4Bed/3 bath is $1,900/yr, I really can't complain.

Electric vehicles don't use gas, so they don't pay the taxes that help with roads. But some states, including North Carolina, are adding fees or taxes to make up or it. North Carolina charges an annual $130 fee.

SoriceConsulting

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sorice.com
Vehicles
2023 GTPE, Rapid Red
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
Wait what is this $5000 NJ credit? Is this new? I thought it ran out and won’t resume until later this year.

$5k credit is supposed to come back in July. You will NOT get it if you buy off lot before they re-enact the program. The $5k Ford credit is for those of us that missed it when NJ stopped the program while our cars were delayed. Example: I ordered in October 2020 expecting the $5k from NJ. They ended the program for anything arriving after 3/15/2021 and mine arrives around 5/29/2021. Thought I'd have it in time to get the credit from NJ. So Ford graciously gave those of us in that situation a $5k credit.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
Wow that’s great of Ford to do that for you guys. I ordered in March and it seems like I’ll just have to buy off the lot considering wait times now.

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
My understanding is that if you did not order before the deadline 12-15-20 and did not receive the car by 3-15-21 you are not eligible for this round of state incentives.....Ford stepped in and, to my understanding, was making up the incentive $$$ only to those people who ordered by the 12-15-20 date BUT did not receive their car by the 3-15-21 deadline......I don't think cars off the lot qualify for either the NJ Charge Up incentive or the Ford option at this time.......if you buy off the lot once the incentive program resumes, sometime this summer, then you will qualify for a point of sale incentive, if you qualify ($55000 limit, if it stays the same)....others have posted that the number of people who qualify for the Ford assistance has a fixed number of about 125 or so.....

OP
OP

nanohead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME, 23 Lightning ER
Country flag
OK, was just at the dealer. My car was $55,300, and Ford did in fact deduct the same $500 that SoriceConsulting had on his, so its under the $55K threshold.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
OK, was just at the dealer. My car was $55,300, and Ford did in fact deduct the same $500 that SoriceConsulting had on his, so its under the $55K threshold.
Since the $5k is coming from ford, they may be more lax about the paint putting you over the $55k limit.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Since the $5k is coming from ford, they may be more lax about the paint putting you over the $55k limit.
I was thinking the same thing, if the discount is already there and the OP knows it then why are they worried about the MSRP.

The last post does not make sense, sounded to me like the deposit was deducted from the amount owned which lowered in under 55K.

Either way it does not matter, Ford extended this to 125 folks in NJ who missed out on the deadline due to late shipping. Once the Certificate is there it's there and one is good to go.
Sponsored