skuker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium Extended
Country flag
Just arrived in Fort Lauderdale after two days on the road and 1800 miles in my Premium Extended Range RWD.

The whole trip went very well with EA besides needing to swap chargers in Cocoa beach (first one plateaued at 50kwh).

The car was great the whole ride cruising between 70 and 85 the whole way. The only minor annoyances being with Adaptive cruise control. In Virgina while sitting in traffic the Cruise control decided it didn't want to activate any more a quick pull over and power cycle fixed that. In Georgia a bug splatted over the camera and lane centering became unavailable until the next stop. The one consistent annoyance was lane centering on straight stretches of i95. Even though my hands were very much on the wheel it would still complain requiring a wiggle to verify I was still there.

Charging was great we set out with a full charge and made 8 stops along the way.
We could have done it in 6 but added a safety stop and had so issues planning the overnight stop.

Here are our stops

Wawa, New Castle Delaware (Safety stop since we had never road tripped it before)
66 - 88 % in 18 Minutes

Spotsylvania , VA27
27 - 80% in 29 minutes

At this point we changed overnight stop plans so our charges made less sense for a little while.

Sheetz Rocky Mount, NC(Out of Spec Motorings old home base!)
20 - 81% in 40 minutes

Lumberton, NC Walmart
39 - 80% in 23 minutes

We planned to stop here overnight but couldn't get a room so we pushed on into Georgia
Walterboro, SC Walmart
17 - 82% in 49 minutes

We stopped for the night in Savannah an exit before the EA Station and got back on track.
Pooler, GA Walmart
56 - 80% in 14 minutes

Jacksonville, FL The Avenues
26 - 80% in 30 minutes

Last stop and this first with any issues. First charger couldn't reach full power swapped to another and had no issue several E-Trons at this stop.
Cocoa, FL Sam's Club
20 - 80% in 35 Minutes

Overall it was a great time. I found the stops broke up the ride in a way that made the whole thing way less fatiguing. It was nice meeting other ev drivers at the stops even the new Tesla owner upset that he couldnt plug in the CCS plug to his Model S.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Holy cow - you must have averaged about 3.4 mi/kw on the whole trip!

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
On the first day we were averaging around 3.5 going 70-75.
Day 2 we were a bit more ambitious and ended up around 2.8
Yeah, in order to get ABRP to come close I had to change the "base" mi/kwh to 3.7 mi/kw. The numbers matched your first day, but ABRP was optimistic for your second:
Ford Mustang Mach-E New Jersey to Florida Road trip results in Extended Range RWD Mach-E Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 9.15.41 PM

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
great trip report and thanks for sharing. Just think, you road tripped in a car with a 2.6 gallon gas tank! It certainly shows folks it can be done and I cannot wait for our charging infrastructure to be installed in New England.

EVTRAVEL

First Name
JIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD F150, MACH E
Occupation
RETIRED
Country flag
Just arrived in Fort Lauderdale after two days on the road and 1800 miles in my Premium Extended Range RWD.

The whole trip went very well with EA besides needing to swap chargers in Cocoa beach (first one plateaued at 50kwh).

The car was great the whole ride cruising between 70 and 85 the whole way. The only minor annoyances being with Adaptive cruise control. In Virgina while sitting in traffic the Cruise control decided it didn't want to activate any more a quick pull over and power cycle fixed that. In Georgia a bug splatted over the camera and lane centering became unavailable until the next stop. The one consistent annoyance was lane centering on straight stretches of i95. Even though my hands were very much on the wheel it would still complain requiring a wiggle to verify I was still there.

Charging was great we set out with a full charge and made 8 stops along the way.
We could have done it in 6 but added a safety stop and had so issues planning the overnight stop.

Here are our stops

Wawa, New Castle Delaware (Safety stop since we had never road tripped it before)
66 - 88 % in 18 Minutes

Spotsylvania , VA27
27 - 80% in 29 minutes

At this point we changed overnight stop plans so our charges made less sense for a little while.

20 - 81% in 40 minutes

Lumberton, NC Walmart
39 - 80% in 23 minutes

We planned to stop here overnight but couldn't get a room so we pushed on into Georgia
Walterboro, SC Walmart
17 - 82% in 49 minutes

We stopped for the night in Savannah an exit before the EA Station and got back on track.
Pooler, GA Walmart
56 - 80% in 14 minutes

26 - 80% in 30 minutes

Last stop and this first with any issues. First charger couldn't reach full power swapped to another and had no issue several E-Trons at this stop.
Cocoa, FL Sam's Club
20 - 80% in 35 Minutes

Overall it was a great time. I found the stops broke up the ride in a way that made the whole thing way less fatiguing. It was nice meeting other ev drivers at the stops even the new Tesla owner upset that he couldnt plug in the CCS plug to his Model S.
Did you use an APP to plan your stops or the Mach E navigation system?

dw0095

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
What was the total cost of charging for this trip? Id like to see the estimated gas cost vs electric.

Compared to a fwd ford escape to travel 1600 miles mostly highway is estmated at 29/34mpg... About $125 in gas.

OP
OP
skuker

skuker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium Extended
Country flag
Bit hard to say charging cost because the first leg was the included charging and second was on EA. I think it should have been around $100. Very close to a ICE trip.

I used ABRP and plugshare for planning and Waze for Navigating from charger to charger. Occasionally I would put the route into the built in nav to see its arrival charge guess but it only shows you that before you start the route.

ABRP is a great tool for routing i found setting the reference mi/kwh to 3.4 produced a pretty accurate route.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Here are our stops

66 - 88 % in 18 Minutes

Spotsylvania , VA27
27 - 80% in 29 minutes

20 - 81% in 40 minutes

Lumberton, NC Walmart
39 - 80% in 23 minutes

Walterboro, SC Walmart
17 - 82% in 49 minutes

Pooler, GA Walmart
56 - 80% in 14 minutes

26 - 80% in 30 minutes

Cocoa, FL Sam's Club
20 - 80% in 35 Minutes

Nice report. The Mach E continues to show itself to be a very good road trip vehicle.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
great trip report and thanks for sharing. Just think, you road tripped in a car with a 2.6 gallon gas tank! It certainly shows folks it can be done and I cannot wait for our charging infrastructure to be installed in New England.
Curious where you get the 2.6 gallon gas tank figure from... Doing the math for my car, I'm getting about 340 miles per charge, which would be the equivalent of a 10 gallon tank for an ICE vehicle that gets 34mpg.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Curious where you get the 2.6 gallon gas tank figure from... Doing the math for my car, I'm getting about 340 miles per charge, which would be the equivalent of a 10 gallon tank for an ICE vehicle that gets 34mpg.
For EPA purposes of computing "MPG equivalent" 1 gallon if gas contains the same amount of energy as 33.7kwh of electricity. So 88kwh/33.7 kwh per gallon = 2.61 gallons.

my2ndstang

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Extended AWD Mach E
Country flag

Here are our stops

66 - 88 % in 18 Minutes

Spotsylvania , VA27
27 - 80% in 29 minutes

20 - 81% in 40 minutes

Lumberton, NC Walmart
39 - 80% in 23 minutes

Walterboro, SC Walmart
17 - 82% in 49 minutes

Pooler, GA Walmart
56 - 80% in 14 minutes

26 - 80% in 30 minutes

Cocoa, FL Sam's Club
20 - 80% in 35 Minutes

Thank you for all of that information! Good to know!
Sponsored