Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Flex Limited
Occupation
Retired Navy
Country flag
Hi everyone,

just joined yesterday. Did some updates to my profile.

I work for Webasto Charging Systems as Tier 1 Tech Support (I answer the phones). Webasto has public chargers in Oregan and Washington state. I got a call just last week from a Ford Dealership in Florida. They are looking to get chargers installed at their dealership for their new EVs. Namely the Mach E.

If you do plan to make a road trip in those two states and are looking for the locations of the chargers, please see this link to the PDF: https://www.evsolutions.com/Upload/Evnetwork/WCEH_Map.pdf

You can call in, and create a profile, then you have to give your CC info for a charge. $7.50 for the CHADMO fast charger (level 3), or $4.00 for the level 2 charger. Or you can also download the Plugshare application from your app store from your smart phone. Unlike Tesla, we don't have idle fees.

If webie (Webmaster) would like to add this to the "EV Sites": https://www.evsolutions.com/ev-network

Webasto also does residential installations. Obviously I will be reaching out to the sales folks to get my personal Level 2 charger installed at home.

I've also read, in some obscure place that Ford will be installing chargers at ALL their dealerships.

About a month ago, I was at my own local dealership and I asked the one of the sales guys, when will they be bringing in an Electric Vehicle. And I quote: "NEVER! They don't sell." I reiterated back, well, yea, they don't sell if you don't bring them in. He confirmed they brought in a few hybrids and they sat and sat. To which I would agree. I don't want a hybrid. I want an Electric SUV. I'm a big guy (fat) and I need something big to be able to fit into.

Then, the Ford Mach-E CUV finally made it's debut. Being a Ford guy, I was VERY excited about this.

Now, The Mrs, she isn't all that jazzed about EV's. She has severe range anxiety. Not often, but we do go to visit Mum that lives about 5 hours away. There isn't a lot of chargers around these parts of Canada (Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia).

Myself, I can't wait to get the Mach-E. But it doesn't look like I will be getting the first year model. I've owned a 2013 Ford Freestyle (1st year model). I've owned a 2009 Ford Flex (1st year model). I belong to the Ford Flex forum (www.fordflex.net) and I've stated that the Mach-E would be the logical replacement to our beloved Flex. It was about a 50/50 mix of for and against.

Now, the questions may have already been answered. But I'm going to ask them again...

1. Is the Mach-E a 5 seater car? I got a Bernese Mountain Dog (145 pounds) and he pretty much owns the middle seat of our Flex.

2. How does the back doors open? I've seen pictures of the car, but I don't see door handles for the back doors. I've seen some pics where the Mach-E has a door on the passenger side of the car and then the drive side, I can't see any door seam for the back door.

3. What chargers can the new Mach-E charge at? Can the CHADMO charger plug into this car? Oh, and where is the charge point on the car?

4. Can we downsize those tires? On my current Flex, I had 20 inch tires. I also wanted to get All Weather Tires. They just don't make them for that size. All weather tires are a Winter Tire that can be used all year round. So no more having to swap my tires twice a year from the All Season to the Winter Tires. No more having to store a set of tires. It just happened that I was going to have to replace both my Winter Tires and All Season radials. That was just too much for me to bear. So, I went from this (nose facing left)

Ford Mustang Mach-E New member 20190924_124234

To this (nose facing right):

Ford Mustang Mach-E New member 20190924_150325

These are 18 inch tires All Weather Tires. I will NEVER have to swap my tires ever again. No more having the TPMS getting upset for six months that the Winter Tires didn't have them.

Regards,

Mitch

MachSpeed

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCrew 2015 Mustang EcoBoost convertible
Country flag
Nice to meet you Mitch good to have you aboard. Seems you have lots of experience in the charging area I maybe asking you lots of questions. Like you I
ll be waiting until the at least the 2021 model year.

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
A lot of your questions will hopefully be answered at tomorrow's reveal. We still haven't figured out the rear doors yet ourselves nor how spacious it is or isn't.

Whatstreet

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Ford Expedition
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
I assume that the charger will be CCS not CHADMO. I already have a CCS EVSE. CAHDMO is for the Leaf.

OP
OP
Mister Mitch

Mister Mitch

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Flex Limited
Occupation
Retired Navy
Country flag
I assume that the charger will be CCS not CHADMO. I already have a CCS EVSE. CAHDMO is for the Leaf.
I do believe you might be correct, as the CHAdeMO chargers were originally designed by Nissan-Renault. Since the Webasto chargers have 100 amp ability, it means most cars are charged under 30 minutes.

Now I know that Tesla can purchase after market adapters. But I've never heard of Chev, and/or Ford selling those adapters.

Regards,

Mitch
Sponsored