New MME - Charging (In)Frequency Question

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
By now you probably understand that you do what works for you. The car will be fine.

I live in cold climate, so the preheating is usually active every day all year long.
Also the price of electricity varies from hour to hour with very large fluctuations (from $0.01 to $0.5 kWh). Often an hour a day is dirt cheap compared to the rest.
Charging cable is just by the port.

So for me, I plug it in every day and charge to 90%.

The mantra with EVs in general is "charge when you can, not when you need", where can and need is highly individual.
Sponsored

jglor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Dark Matter Gray RWD Mach-E
Country flag
I had my charger installed in my garage, but my car currently doesn't fit so I'm parking in the driveway. I plan on getting the garage cleared out, so I can park in it, which is why I installed the charger inside.
I'm running the cable under the door (it's a Grizzl-E and seems like it can handle having the door shut on it just fine). So it's a little bit of a hassle to plug in every time I get home. Especially since most of my drives during the week are only about 10 miles or so, so I only lose a few percent.

All that being said, I'm not driving every day, and not plugging in every single time I get home. Did some longer drives this weekend, and got down to about 50%, so I plugged in when I got home on Saturday. I've got a schedule set to only charge for 12am - 6am (Super off-peak rates) and only to 90%.

When I'm finally parking in the garage, I will probably just plug in, as the cable will be right there, so I can just plug in and then go in the house.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I have only owned my MME for just over 2 weeks. I have had it below 50% just once. That said, I pretty much just plug in to charge whenever I feel like doing so. My max charge at home is set to 85%. I was thinking of doing what @Utahridge suggested but havenā€™t actually done it. ??

I agree with the research that @ChasingCoral indicated. Keeping a Li-ion battery somewhere around 50% seems to be the Goldilocks zone for battery longevity. The two extremes of high SoC and low SoC are hard on longevity. ??

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I don't understand this forum and people who simply don't want to plug in their vehicle every night as if it is some sort of hassle. Do you have to hike uphill through the snow (both ways) to hook up and unhook your charger?

Do it not only to keep your max range for the next day, but also because its what you should be doing according to every EV owners manual in the last 10 years.

Directly from the Mach-E owners manual...
"When you leave your vehicle left unplugged, it periodically uses energy from the high voltage battery to recharge the 12 volt accessory battery when needed "

"You can increase the longevity of your high voltage battery by using the preferred charge times feature. Preferred charge times can keep your battery at the optimal temperature and state of charge based on your settings and usage"

Take the 10-15 seconds to plug it in.
Well hey, thatā€™s just your opinion, man.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I charge to 90% (as per the manual) whenever I get down to about 30%. Thatā€™s about once every week or two. If Iā€˜m planning a road trip, Iā€™ll charge to 100%. I donā€™t really worry much about it. If I get caught at a lower stage than needed to get out of town, thereā€™s EAā€™S in about every direction not too far away. I donā€™t have another car.

MajesticBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Country flag
Not a hassle at all to plug in. All of the the best research on lithium batteries says they last the longest when operated at around 50% capacity, doing your best to avoid going below 10% and not leaving the car sitting at 100%. Yes, I know there is a few percent buffer on either end of a Mach E battery that we don't use. Even so, the manual clearly states:

"Overnight Charging and Storage
You can increase the longevity of your high voltage battery by using the preferred charge times feature. Preferred charge times can keep your battery at the optimal temperature and state of charge based on your settings and usage.

Allowing your battery to cool before charging and setting the maximum state of charge to 90% for everyday usage improves longevity of your high voltage battery." (my emphasis added)

You seem to have read the first paragraph and forgotten to mention the second one.

I have absolutely no issue with charging as full as I need when I need it. I also prefer to keep the battery as healthy as I can. I plan to have Marlin for a long time.
I was definitely not advocating for charging to 100%. I re-read my post and I suppose where I wrote "to keep it at max range" was misleading. I meant max range for regular use, i.e. 90% as suggested in the manual.
Sponsored