11/19/2021 New Module Updates in FDRS FE MME (Dec, 2020 mfgr date)

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Noticed a number of new updates in FDRS this evening, November 19, 2021 (actually went out to some FDRS data logger work). As @breeves002 always cautions, there may be no need to do any of these right away, or ever. I started at 5:25 pm. It was going pretty fast (under 1/2 hour), until the RFA module which I started at 5:56pm. No idea how VIN specific these are, my FE is from Dec 2020

PCM
ABS
SOBDMC
DCME
DCMF
DCMG
DCMH
BECM
OBCC
SOBDM
RFA
Sponsored

Last edited:

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Noticed a number of new updates in FDRS this evening, November 19, 2021 (actually went out to some flight recorder work). As @breeves002 always cautions, there may be no need to do any of these right away, or ever. I started at 5:25 pm. It was going pretty fast (under 1/2 hour), until the RFA module which I started at 5:56pm. No idea how VIN specific these are, my FE is from Dec 2020

PCM
ABS
SOBDMC
DCME
DCMF
DCMG
DCMH
BECM
OBCC
SOBDM
RFA
Do you know what any of them do?

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
These came available thismorning/last night. A note though. My GT ONLY has the new RFA update which means this is likely just a release for older vehicles and July + build vehicles have most of these updates already.

These are my GUESSES at what these updates do.

PCM/ABS/SOBDMC are all likely related to small bugs. I don't think anything major or life changing as we'd see SOBDMB too among others. The SOBDMC (rear motor) controls a lot of functions, like the heater, etc. Interesting that this is just non-GT it seems and how there was no front motor update. If someone with a July or later build non-GT AWD can PM me their vin I can check if it is a non-GT only update or older vehicle only update.

Door modules probably are to help fix issues related to doors not wanting to open. Probably just changing sequences for wake up of these modules to make them faster, etc.

BECM - DCFC improvements probably. Doubt it is the 91kWh update or I'd see the update for my GT too.

OBCC - DCFC improvements.

SOBDM - L2 charging related bug fixes probable

RFA - PAAK updates/fixes

Conclusion: Don't bother updating unless you want (hopefully) improved PAAK do the RFA. I'm guessing we see an SSM related to some various door issues in a few weeks.

The oldest vehicles that haven't gotten ANY updates should have about 17 available updates now...

Last edited:

Texas-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I updated all of them this morning and haven’t noticed any real changes. I knew it was unlikely, but I hoped they might be frunk related.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I updated all of them this morning and haven’t noticed any real changes. I knew it was unlikely, but I hoped they might be frunk related.
You'll have to wait for the GFM update. Anyone with UCDS can update it now though by flashing the "unsupported" software.

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
Not sure what the build date of mine is; bought in March. Hasn't seen the dealer since. Just received my VCM3 yesterday (only took 3 months...) so I plan to poke around tomorrow to see what updates are pending for mine. I don't deny I'm curious about that DCFC update I keep hearing about...

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
You'll have to wait for the GFM update. Anyone with UCDS can update it now though by flashing the "unsupported" software.
i was wondering if that’s all it would take to get the frunk release working. Have you confirmed this? I also don’t know know if I want to get into UCDS.

OP
OP

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
These came available thismorning/last night. A note though. My GT ONLY has the new RFA update which means this is likely just a release for older vehicles and July + build vehicles have most of these updates already.

PCM/ABS/SOBDMC are all likely related to small bugs. I don't think anything major or life changing as we'd see SOBDMB too among others. The SOBDMC (rear motor) controls a lot of functions, like the heater, etc. Interesting that this is just non-GT it seems and how there was no front motor update. If someone with a July or later build non-GT AWD can PM me their vin I can check if it is a non-GT only update or older vehicle only update.

Door modules probably are to help fix issues related to doors not wanting to open. Probably just changing sequences for wake up of these modules to make them faster, etc.

BECM - DCFC improvements probably. Doubt it is the 91kWh update or I'd see the update for my GT too.

RFA - PAAK updates/fixes

Conclusion: Don't bother updating unless you want (hopefully) improved PAAK do the RFA. I'm guessing we see an SSM related to some various door issues in a few weeks.

The oldest vehicles that haven't gotten ANY updates should have about 17 available updates now...
Thanks Sam.

The RFA update completed a short time after my post. The updates all went fine, maybe about 45 min. Sounds like @Texas-E did the same (I spent some years in Corpus Christi).

I completely forgot that next update, I wanted to move my T-mobile home internet out to the car. The cell tower connected home internet can do some impressive speeds, I wanted to see if it made any difference over my WIFI for FDRS downloads, oh well, I can try it next time if I remember.

After the RFA update, my iPhone and Paak were all intact, but I somehow lost Apple CarPlay. Might be self induced error. I am going to try to remove iPhone everywhere and reinstall it. Not worried, just a pain, oh well. Worst case, I just reconfigure RFA and try again, hopefully not again this time.

Update: deleted phone, reinstalled it, used iPhone settings to update CarPlay for wireless (I think someone once said only worked with cable, don't forget this step). All okay.

Last edited:

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag

RFA - PAAK updates/fixes

Great insight. I have an early build of a year ago this week. Have 8k miles and haven't been back to the dealer since picking it up in February. Probably just wait until 10k service to get anything done.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Not sure what the build date of mine is; bought in March. Hasn't seen the dealer since. Just received my VCM3 yesterday (only took 3 months...) so I plan to poke around tomorrow to see what updates are pending for mine. I don't deny I'm curious about that DCFC update I keep hearing about...
I've literally had a VCM on order since March WTF.

Right now the only DCFC updates are to make it work at all without erroring out. They haven't adjusted the curve yet.

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
I've literally had a VCM on order since March WTF.

Right now the only DCFC updates are to make it work at all without erroring out. They haven't adjusted the curve yet.
Did you order from Rotunda, or another vendor (assuming that's possible)? Definitely follow up with them if it was Rotunda (Helm actually ships the device apparently) to see if they have an update. I did a couple of times just to see where things were. Always the same answer though - no idea when it would ship. I only found out about it shipping when I received a FedEx notice that a package was inbound.

No big loss on the DCFC thing I suppose. I've rarely used it. Just a nice to have sort of thing I guess.
Finished updating all of the modules except for APIM today. Apparently the APIM does not like SanDisk flash drives. I'm trying a suggestion from another post to see if an external hard disk will work. That update takes way too long to copy for some reason... If I do not include the time it took to troubleshoot the USB issue, all of the other modules probably took less than two hours to complete. My Leaf provided the 12v power supply I needed (looked weird as hell, but worked...).

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
I started running through these updates myself, and I think I may have found an FDRS bug?

On the door module updates, it keeps popping up this message just after starting.
Ford Mustang Mach-E 11/19/2021 New Module Updates in FDRS FE MME (Dec, 2020 mfgr date) 20211120_130701

As you can see, the update still appears to be running behind the warning to turn off the ignition. If I follow the instruction it immediately fails (obviously since it was in the middle of the update).

Did anyone else encounter this?

OP
OP

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I started running through these updates myself, and I think I may have found an FDRS bug?

On the door module updates, it keeps popping up this message just after starting.
20211120_130701.jpg

As you can see, the update still appears to be running behind the warning to turn off the ignition. If I follow the instruction it immediately fails (obviously since it was in the middle of the update).

Did anyone else encounter this?
What was the reported LVB voltage lower right hand corner? No issue like that here.

I would shut everything off, restart, be sure you have your power supply or charger set above 13V, and the same number in the lower right corner of the FDRS screen. Then test all modules, clear and test to all green, and then try again.

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
What was the reported LVB voltage lower right hand corner? No issue like that here.

I would shut everything off, restart, be sure you have your power supply or charger set above 13V, and the same number in the lower right corner of the FDRS screen. Then test all modules, clear and test to all green, and then try again.
The DC-DC doesn't even appear to be turning off... It's at 13.6v. I tried clearing the DTCs but same behavior

OP
OP

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The DC-DC doesn't even appear to be turning off... It's at 13.6v. I tried clearing the DTCs but same behavior
From my limited experience, it is fine if the DC/DC converter is running, it does during some updates, not during others.

Also, I doubt it matters, but check that you are running the latest version of FDRS (sorry, I see the version, latest).

Confirm you are not plugged into a L2 charger (probably not, but we know that could be a problem with programming), then I'm afraid your going to need to escalate your question to the expert @breeves002 :)
Sponsored