First Name
Erle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E premium
Country flag
Hello everyone!

Just ordered my Mach-e Premium and as I am not a big fan of OEM tires, was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Nitto NT421Q? Discount Tire recommends them as replacement tires but I am hoping to get some real world feedback.
Thanks!
Sponsored

121gigawatts

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Not Soon Enough
Country flag
I'm personally waiting for the Michelin Pilot EV's to be released in North America.

I may go to 20" wheels, just looking to see what sizes they release the new Pilot EVs to get a wheel width that'll match.

I've been a big fan of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's for performance & the Yokohama Avid Ascend LX for heavier SUVs. There's some feedback on tires, sizes, range comparison changing out tires in the large thread:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/aftermarket-wheels-are-always-my-first-mod.2875/

Definitely recommend the read! Some amazing feedback and ideas.

Last edited:

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E 4X, Jeep Wrangler 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I am not a big fan of OEM tires
Are you not a fan of any OEM tires, or the Michelins in particular? I've always had a good experience with Michelin tires, though admittedly I don't push cars to their limits. I'm just wondering what you're looking to improve.

OP
OP

epereira

First Name
Erle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E premium
Country flag
Typically Michelin’s are great! Just these Primacy tires have not so great reviews as OEM tires. Other brand OEM tires too usually don’t deliver. In my experience and opinion, car manufacturers don’t use great tires os OEM tires. Maybe I’m generalizing but I have had Fords, Subarus, Toyota’s, Honda’s, and Mazda’s and have always changed the OEM tires for new tires because they were terrible no matter what brand.

121gigawatts

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Not Soon Enough
Country flag
Typically Michelin’s are great! Just these Primacy tires have not so great reviews as OEM tires. Other brand OEM tires too usually don’t deliver. In my experience and opinion, car manufacturers don’t use great tires os OEM tires. Maybe I’m generalizing but I have had Fords, Subarus, Toyota’s, Honda’s, and Mazda’s and have always changed the OEM tires for new tires because they were terrible no matter what brand.
I have to agree with epereira. Manufacturers make odd choices when it comes to the tires. They never seem to be the "good" just "good enough". My current car, a 2018 Jeep Cherokee Limited came with Continental Pro Contacts. The OEM tires haven't lasted me 15k miles and I had to replace them. Throwing on the Yokohama Avid Ascend LX that I've been a big fan of (for the same price as OEMs + $80 rebate), I can feel the car being more responsive in accelerating/breaking. Haven't had a chance to properly test out cornering and handling.

As for Michelins, 100% respect them. They have some of the most well known performance tires. The Pilot Sport 4s for example, youre bound to find at any car meet, normally seen as staggered sets in sedans with a lot of horsepower and torque.

With that being said, I'm not a fan of the Primacy A/S. For one, Ford chose extremely skinny tires. 225/55's on a car that weighs almost 5,000 lbs. That's ridiculous. Even in my test drive, I could feel the back wheels slipping out from under me before the system kicked in and pulled them back. Not that it wasn't fun, it's just I hate the feeling of my tires loosing grip on a *Regular* drive. If i was in a parking lot messing around or if i was pushing the car on the street, for sure. But on a test drive?!

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I have to agree with epereira. Manufacturers make odd choices when it comes to the tires. They never seem to be the "good" just "good enough". My current car, a 2018 Jeep Cherokee Limited came with Continental Pro Contacts. The OEM tires haven't lasted me 15k miles and I had to replace them. Throwing on the Yokohama Avid Ascend LX that I've been a big fan of (for the same price as OEMs + $80 rebate), I can feel the car being more responsive in accelerating/breaking. Haven't had a chance to properly test out cornering and handling.

As for Michelins, 100% respect them. They have some of the most well known performance tires. The Pilot Sport 4s for example, youre bound to find at any car meet, normally seen as staggered sets in sedans with a lot of horsepower and torque.

With that being said, I'm not a fan of the Primacy A/S. For one, Ford chose extremely skinny tires. 225/55's on a car that weighs almost 5,000 lbs. That's ridiculous. Even in my test drive, I could feel the back wheels slipping out from under me before the system kicked in and pulled them back. Not that it wasn't fun, it's just I hate the feeling of my tires loosing grip on a *Regular* drive. If i was in a parking lot messing around or if i was pushing the car on the street, for sure. But on a test drive?!
You are on to something with this. Car manufacturers have a few needs or single need with OEM tires. They will install a tire that fits that need. In most cases you can figure it out by thinking about it a little bit. My guess is Ford chose this tire / size combo for one reason lowest rolling resistance / maximum range.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Waiting for the MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV.
That should be a good tire. I would like a do it all set. If someone makes a EV all weather tire I would buy that.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
That should be a good tire. I would like a do it all set. If someone makes a EV all weather tire I would buy that.
I haven't really seen a good EV performance tire test yet. Lots of tire test comparisons out there for Ultra High Performance, UHP all-season, and Grand Touring tires but not EV-specific.

If you think about it, there's a bunch of qualities that are in tension with one another on the MME. Range, acceleration/braking, lateral grip, comfort, road noise, tread life, etc are all magnified by a silent performance crossover. I'm sure we'll see more mfgs make tires for EVs and the comparison shootouts we rely on will follow.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I haven't really seen a good EV performance tire test yet. Lots of tire test comparisons out there for Ultra High Performance, UHP all-season, and Grand Touring tires but not EV-specific.

If you think about it, there's a bunch of qualities that are in tension with one another on the MME. Range, acceleration/braking, lateral grip, comfort, road noise, tread life, etc are all magnified by a silent performance crossover. I'm sure we'll see more mfgs make tires for EVs and the comparison shootouts we rely on will follow.
With full disclosure I work for a tire manufacturer. The EU has just revamped their testing and labeling and one of the factors is efficiency. With EV's becoming main stream most manufacturers are in development of EV tires. It also sounds like the EU is mandating a minimum efficiency.

121gigawatts

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Not Soon Enough
Country flag
Michelin's press release" back at the end of February just said Europe would receive the Michelin Pilot Sport EV's in Q3 2021, and North America sometime in 2021. Very unspecific, but looking at their "promises" and marketing for it, it's not going to be a cheap tire.

I have tried looking them up because they are sold in China, but can't seem to find any data/testing/pricing/etc for them.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Michelin's press release" back at the end of February just said Europe would receive the Michelin Pilot Sport EV's in Q3 2021, and North America sometime in 2021. Very unspecific, but looking at their "promises" and marketing for it, it's not going to be a cheap tire.

I have tried looking them up because they are sold in China, but can't seem to find any data/testing/pricing/etc for them.
I will ask for the EU testing website and post it could be interesting

Paddler

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium w/Ext. Range Battery, RWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Michelin told me release date for Pilot Sport EV is July 1.
I'm looking for more of a smooth, comfortable, quiet ride verses performance. The Michelin OEM's create a LOT of road noise. On smooth pavement it's okay, but otherwise they're too noisy. Any suggestions?

americanflannel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
I do not write menu descriptions for a living
Country flag
Will something like this be a decent choice in the future? I know little about tires except I bought a car in December once that had "do not drive if temps are below 50" that was fun trying to explain my wife why I needed new tires day one.
Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus All-Season
Sponsored