Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Does a beefed up connector mean we might get a better charging curve too? (Though I imagine it might be limited to 2023 MY for simplicity of which car gets which software) it's the same cells as the ID.4 which has a much better curve with a smaller pack so it's not the battery that's the limitation. Given what the failure was seems likely that might have been the expected limitation.
No. The cells and heat removal are the limiting factors. Mach-E cells are different than ID.4 cells (71 vs. 78 Ah), even though they are both made by LG chem. The OEM gets to choose what they're comfortable with for a charging curve. Ford seems more worried about battery warranty claims than VW so they limit more.
Sponsored

MachEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Software PM
Country flag
Everyone seems so worried about charging curve lately and I can't really figure out why. Especially in the shadow of this recall. FWIW, it is limited on the software side and all indications I've read on this forum seem to suggest it is improving with 2.8.3.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Everyone seems so worried about charging curve lately and I can't really figure out why. Especially in the shadow of this recall. FWIW, it is limited on the software side and all indications I've read on this forum seem to suggest it is improving with 2.8.3.
2.8.3 is an APIM update, it does not affect the charging curve.

The DC charging curve is part of the BECM, the recall software will update it if you still have the old software from before the curve update that was released last November.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Is the updated part the one installed on cars with a production date after the recall?
We do not know the exact date for the hardware changeover. We suspect that it is after May 25. What we know is that cars were held up at the end of the production line for the software. The “C” part has been available for just under a month, so a car whose production started in July should have the latest hardware. This is conjecture on my part, as I do not know this for a fact. 🤷‍♂️🐩

MachEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
Software PM
Country flag
2.8.3 is an APIM update, it does not affect the charging curve.

The DC charging curve is part of the BECM, the recall software will update it if you still have the old software from before the curve update that was released last November.
Is the recall software update not in 2.8.3? I think we're splitting hairs here.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Is the recall software update not in 2.8.3? I think we're splitting hairs here.
No it is not. 2.8.3 is just APIM to bring Job2 in line with Job1 2.8.3. 22S41 recall is a different OTA.

Last edited:

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
No it is not. 2.8.3 is just APIM to bring Job2 in line with Job1 2.8.3. 22S41 recall is a different OTA.
For a car that doesn't seem to get any OTA updates, there sure is a confusing mess of OTA updates to untangle.
Ford Mustang Mach-E New version of High Voltage Battery Junction Box Charlie-DAY

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
There is a cost quoted on a thread somewhere. About $780 for the part with a core charge of about $125. Someone purchased one and took a few pictures. Also if I recall correctly Ford pays for 5.5 hours under warranty to replace it but someone guessed more like 8 hours so - $800 parts and $1,200 labor at the least.
None of the 20+ pre-production vehicles ever had this serious issue? Hard to believe and a significant cost to Ford for replacement.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Just a note, I just did my first DCFC post dealer 22S41 update, and I was at 51KW when I unplugged at 86%. 100KW Chargepoint unit.
I don’t DCFC often, but I seem to recall always being in the low 40s after 80%. Maybe just a coincidence?

Edit: As pointed out by @DevSecOps , this change was likely due to other updates installed when I had the car in for the recall, not the 22S41 update itself!

Last edited:

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Just a note, I just did my first DCFC post dealer 22S41 update, and I was at 51KW when I unplugged at 86%. 100KW Chargepoint unit.
I don’t DCFC often, but I seem to recall always being in the low 40s after 80%. Maybe just a coincidence?
If you haven't updated the car in a while then you likely got the charge curve update from months ago as well. Nothing to do with the recall.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
If you haven't updated the car in a while then you likely got the charge curve update from months ago as well. Nothing to do with the recall.
Correct - I should have mentioned that the dealer installed about a dozen other updates when they did 22S41. Thanks for pointing that out.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
At 80%, before the curve update, it would drop to 14kW. After the curve update it would drop to 44kW. So 51kW would be a change, yes.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
At 80%, before the curve update, it would drop to 14kW. After the curve update it would drop to 44kW. So 51kW would be a change, yes.
We routinely see low/mid 50s and I've seen 61 post charge curve (at 80% soc). It's well documented in many of my threads. My last test, I was even over 40 kw when above 90% soc. Maybe if Rick didn't have me ignored he would know this.

Also important to know is that the charger will displayed the power flowing through it, not actually what is delivered. So even if the car is getting 44kw delivered, the charger will likely say 50+ because of cooling and DCFC loss.
Sponsored

Last edited: